• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

P0304 Misfire in Cylinder 4

Started by blownbyyou, April 19, 2017, 12:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blownbyyou

So last night I was driving home and unfortunately my 2011 SHO decided to crap the bed. I was wondering if anyone has had this issue before...

On the expressway i gave it a little gas (not past half throttle) and saw check engine light start blinking, then notice a definite miss fire. I pulled over and ran the code and got the above code.

I had it towed to an independent shop and they think its an injector and I am thinking I agree because i noticed last night that the afr on one bank was 14.xx and the other bank was 9.xx.

They don't really seem to want to do the job, was wondering if anyone has done it or if its another issue?

P.s. the car has a unleashed tune on it with a 3 bar map (running fine before that).

ZSHO

IMO it sounds about right!!!. Any smell of gas asociated with the above symptoms?
FYI It's Bank 1 front passenger side injector.
Check # 4 spark plug for fouling.
Do you have any type of warranty?  Z
How many miles on your SHO?
https://www.autocodes.com/p0304_ford.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

blownbyyou

0 smell of gas that i noticed...

No warranty...

67k on it the car..

SHOdded

Deebeaux had written up and videoed his experience R&Ring fuel injectors.  Tedious rather tham difficult with some mechanical ability.

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6430
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

blownbyyou

Sooooo i went to pick up the car from the mechanic shop as they said they didn't want to touch it.... as i was driving to another location the car fixed itself and is now running fine.

WTH..

SHOdded

Do not worry, if you miss the misfire, it will come back :P  seriously though, new gas, new gas station, ...?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

If it IS an injector (sounds like the same symptoms when I had an injector crap out) then you should be covered to 7 years/70,000mi under the "long term defects" warranty.

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/2011Warranty.pdf

Smell of fuel will be stronger from the tail pipe. Check your oil and see if it shows over-full or has signs of a fuel smell. You could also pull cylinder 4 plug and see if it's wet. Mine was soaked with gas. If that looks fine, you could swap cyl 4 coil with another and see if the misfire follows the coil pack.

Driving with a stuck injector can overheat and melt the catalyst.

Did they give you any additional evidence that pointed them to an injector vs something else?

Keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

blownbyyou

Quote from: SHOdded on April 19, 2017, 04:15:53 PM
Do not worry, if you miss the misfire, it will come back :P  seriously though, new gas, new gas station, ...?

No....its weird as heck..

blownbyyou

Quote from: MiWiAu on April 19, 2017, 04:17:14 PM
If it IS an injector (sounds like the same symptoms when I had an injector crap out) then you should be covered to 7 years/70,000mi under the "long term defects" warranty.

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/2011Warranty.pdf

Smell of fuel will be stronger from the tail pipe. Check your oil and see if it shows over-full or has signs of a fuel smell. You could also pull cylinder 4 plug and see if it's wet. Mine was soaked with gas. If that looks fine, you could swap cyl 4 coil with another and see if the misfire follows the coil pack.

Driving with a stuck injector can overheat and melt the catalyst.

Did they give you any additional evidence that pointed them to an injector vs something else?

Keep us posted!

Thanks for the link, i am at 67k so i need to watch that for sure...

So i just checked the oil and it does have a slight smell to it, but it is at the full line (not any higher)..

When I was driving it i would try to keep it above 2.5k and it would run fine...

MiWiAu

Immediately after shutting down, mine was emitting white fuel vapors from the exhaust. Mine was stuck wide open (I suspect). The tech reported that the oil level was over-full on the dipstick, and I had quite a bit of gas in my OCC for that drain cycle.

I didn't want to take any chances and had mine towed to the dealer. This was about 3,000 miles after I bought it (got it used with 29k mi). :(

P.S. I finally replaced my turd excuse of a mailbox, so I'm no longer the shame of the cul-de-sac (at least not because of my mailbox).

2013 XSport

ZSHO

I would try swapping the Coil Pack to a different cylinder and monitor for any codes.
R Plugs original at 67K.?
The other option is to have it Diagnosed with IDS Software to perform an injector Flow Test.
Due add your signature with your current vehicle and any mods you may have,thanks and best of luck to ya. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|