• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

E20 mixes longevity in tank

Started by StealBlueSho, April 04, 2017, 12:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

Soo.. my car sits in the garage A LOT... I tend to go about a 4 weeks to 6 weeks before needing to fill up the SHO.. do I need to be worried about E20 sitting too long in the lines?

bpd1151

Two words for you:

"Phase Separation".

Do your research.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

StealBlueSho

SHOdded

4 to 6 weeks should not be an issue, assuming the car is regularly driven.  If it does sit around, add a product like STABIL, or HEET, or Ethanol Drier to every, or every other, tankful.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOdded

Quote from: StealBlueSho on April 04, 2017, 12:59:16 PM
http://www.biofuelsdigest.com/bdigest/2016/09/25/new-doe-study-gasoline-becomes-stale-before-ethanol-phase-separation-occurs/

Interesting read... short and sweet... I knew ethanol mixes take on water, just didn't know how fast.
Can't assume a linear or static relationship between E percentage and phase separation.  BUT it does offer some peace of mind to pump gas users.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOdded

More research needed, but note the points about phase separation in this article:
http://petroclear.com/resources/dont-be-phased.php

Gjkrisa

With sitting for 4 weeks I would use stabilize in every gas tank because gas will also start to  create a wax surface to the lines and tank I'm not sure if the detergents in gas reverse this.
For one year I let my Subaru sit many months before needing a new tank due to my job and having my wife's car parked behind my car so easier to take hers.

Still haven't seemed to have issues from that except for the charcoal tank seemed to go bad and have issues filling up the take in winter but sometimes in summer issue goes away.

Wife wasn't driving the sho when I left to work so I started using stabilize in the tank when I left.  This time she's been driving it so probably not going to do it anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder