• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

FORD FOCUS EVAP PURGE VALVE!!

Started by ZSHO, August 19, 2017, 11:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSHO

August 19, 2017 — A Ford Focus EVAP purge valve lawsuit is hanging by a thread as Ford filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit and the judge dismissed all the claims except one.

The EVAP is used to limit fuel emissions produced in the fuel tank and keep those emissions from entering the atmosphere. The Focus is made so that vapors emitting from the fuel tank travel to a canister containing charcoal that absorbs the fuel vapor for storage purposes. When the car is running, the fuel vapors stored in the canister are funneled to the engine to be purged.

The EVAP purge valve regulates how much fuel vapor enters the engine by opening or closing as needed. An electronically-operated solenoid controlled by the car's computer determines when the purge valve should allow fuel vapors to enter the engine.

Typically the solenoid opens the purge valve when the Focus is running and fully warmed up, and when the engine is off the purge valve is shut, meaning no fuel vapors should enter the engine. When the purge valve becomes stuck in the open position, which is what the plaintiff says happens, suction is created when the car's engine is running.

This causes raw fuel to be sucked through the EVAP canister through the purge valve and directly into the engine. This raw fuel then allegedly causes the engines in the cars to hesitate and stall while driving.  Z

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2017/ford-focus-evap-purge-valve-lawsuit.shtml

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ZSHO

FORD FOCUS CANISTER PURGE VALVE RECALL, TAKE 2
Ford recalls 58,000 Focus and Focus ST cars that may break down from incomplete recall repairs. Z

JULY 9, 2019
— A Ford Focus canister purge valve recall has been issued a second time following an identical recall in October 2018 to repair deformed gas tanks.

Customers of 2012 and 2017 Ford Focus and 2013-2014 Focus ST cars report illuminated warning lights, erratic fuel gauges and cars that lose motive power.

If you are included in the Ford Focus canister purge valve recall and have questions, call 866-436-7332 and ask about recall number 19S22

http://m.carcomplaints.com/news/2019/ford-focus-canister-purge-valve-recall.shtml

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SM105K

Quote from: ZSHO on July 10, 2019, 08:06:14 AM
FORD FOCUS CANISTER PURGE VALVE RECALL, TAKE 2
Ford recalls 58,000 Focus and Focus ST cars that may break down from incomplete recall repairs. Z

JULY 9, 2019 — A Ford Focus canister purge valve recall has been issued a second time following an identical recall in October 2018 to repair deformed gas tanks.

Customers of 2012 and 2017 Ford Focus and 2013-2014 Focus ST cars report illuminated warning lights, erratic fuel gauges and cars that lose motive power.

If you are included in the Ford Focus canister purge valve recall and have questions, call 866-436-7332 and ask about recall number 19S22

http://m.carcomplaints.com/news/2019/ford-focus-canister-purge-valve-recall.shtml

It's about damn time....However, at this time there is no remedy available.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

SHOdded

sure there is.  VTA everything LOL.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SM105K

Quote from: SHOdded on July 10, 2019, 02:46:26 PM
sure there is.  VTA everything LOL.

I am going to purposefully run it out of gas (I will have gas can with me).  When it is "out of gas" I will go and push the fuel cap thingy down and release the pressure.  I wonder if that will work.  Hhhhmmmmmmm
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

SHOdded

It just might, or it might deform the tank before you get to the fuel cap thingy :D
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SM105K

Quote from: SHOdded on July 10, 2019, 03:24:16 PM
It just might, or it might deform the tank before you get to the fuel cap thingy :D

I think it will work.  The tank is deforming because of a vacuum over the period of the tank being filled correct?  If I break that seal, then the tank should go back for a while correct?

ZSHO

What are your symptoms! The rear Canister, Separator, Solenoid next to gas tank also releases vents pressure IIRC! Does it only happen when you fill it up! Z

SM105K

Quote from: ZSHO on July 10, 2019, 03:52:30 PM
What are your symptoms! The rear Canister, Separator, Solenoid also releases pressure IIRC! Does it only happen when you fill it up! Z

Car runs out of gas with anywhere from 25 to 54 miles DTE.  I have run it out of gas three times.  The first time right after I bought it I did not know about the recall and it ran out of gas with 25 miles DTE.  Then I purposely ran it out of gas (I had a gas can) and it ran out with with 26 mile DTE.  The third time was after a 6 hour drive home and I was literally going to the gas station.  I ran out with 54 miles DTE.  I was pissed, and literally rage ran pushing the car the half mile to the gas station. I took it to Ford, and they said there was not remedy.  So every third day I putting gas in the ST to keep it above a half tank.  It is rather annoying. 

When ran out of gas it never takes more then 11 gallons to fill, and the tank is 12.4 gallons.  I am assuming the tank is under vacuum and the bottom gets deformed up, and the 1.4 gallons of fuel left goes to the sides where the fuel pick up isnt.  I wonder if I break the vacuum holding the tank, the tank will deform and I can at least start the car and drive it a couple more miles. Because when runs out of gas....it wont even start...you are done.

ZSHO

Quote from: SM105K on July 10, 2019, 04:01:29 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on July 10, 2019, 03:52:30 PM
What are your symptoms! The rear Canister, Separator, Solenoid also releases pressure IIRC! Does it only happen when you fill it up! Z

Car runs out of gas with anywhere from 25 to 54 miles DTE.  I have run it out of gas three times.  The first time right after I bought it I did not know about the recall and it ran out of gas with 25 miles DTE.  Then I purposely ran it out of gas (I had a gas can) and it ran out with with 26 mile DTE.  The third time was after a 6 hour drive home and I was literally going to the gas station.  I ran out with 54 miles DTE.  I was pissed, and literally rage ran pushing the car the half mile to the gas station. I took it to Ford, and they said there was not remedy.  So every third day I putting gas in the ST to keep it above a half tank.  It is rather annoying. 

When ran out of gas it never takes more then 11 gallons to fill, and the tank is 12.4 gallons.  I am assuming the tank is under vacuum and the bottom gets deformed up, and the 1.4 gallons of fuel left goes to the sides where the fuel pick up isnt.  I wonder if I break the vacuum holding the tank, the tank will deform and I can at least start the car and drive it a couple more miles. Because when runs out of gas....it wont even start...you are done.
Damn! I hope they get it fixed Pronto! Z

SHOdded

Ok, so the evap purge valve remains stuck open, causing the problem, instead of only venting excess pressure.  They are blaming it on software, which makes it difficult to overcome manually, without knowing where the software is failing.  It could be as simple as disconnecting the electrical connector to the PV at each fillup, IDK, will have to check the manual.  But best thing probably is not to let it run low to begin with?

SM105K

Quote from: SHOdded on July 10, 2019, 05:46:07 PM
Ok, so the evap purge valve remains stuck open, causing the problem, instead of only venting excess pressure.  They are blaming it on software, which makes it difficult to overcome manually, without knowing where the software is failing.  It could be as simple as disconnecting the electrical connector to the PV at each fillup, IDK, will have to check the manual.  But best thing probably is not to let it run low to begin with?

Yes sir. They know it is problem, they just dont have a fix for it. The best part...when they do the repair I have to reflash the computer myself, because I have to go directly through Ford Performance because I have their tune...

I might just have them flash it back to stock, and have Brad send me a couple of tunes...

FFS...

802SHO

What a ridiculous problem....that would drive me absolutely insane.  Get a tune from Brad.  I'd assume it would be better suited for your taste
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

SM105K

Quote from: 802SHO on July 11, 2019, 06:47:32 AM
What a ridiculous problem....that would drive me absolutely insane.  Get a tune from Brad.  I'd assume it would be better suited for your taste

Yes 100% ridiculous as they have know about it for quite a bit.