• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Mobile 1 European

Started by Sugar, March 30, 2017, 07:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiWiAu

Quote from: Sugar on March 30, 2017, 07:46:14 PM
Maybe I'll go that route too. If your even remotely getting up on 15k that's well worth the money. I been changing 3k just out of habit with GC.

Amsoil claims 25,000mi intervals on their Signature Series for normal conditions and 15,000mi for severe applications (which includes turbocharged). For this first go, I sent in a 5K sample, and I'll send in samples every 2500mi until I get to 15K or i need to change it sooner. I could do a lot of oil changes for the cash I'm spending on analysis, but I'm hoping it will save me in the long run and/or help provide some insight to the community. :)

I've been off topic for a while now (sorry), so I'm going to stop replying to this thread before @ZSHO yells at me. ;)
2013 XSport

MiWiAu

Quote from: AJP turbo on March 30, 2017, 12:56:26 PM
Dammit miwiau that was going to bug me......i just called amsoil and they dont show on the web page but the 0w-30 meets the ford specifications for the SHO

Sorry to drudge up an old post, but I wanted to clear up some potential mis-information. Up until my timing chain recently failed, I was running 0W30 Amsoil SS. After additional research, there seems to be a lot of speculation that the timing chain stretch is somehow cause by oil/oil contamination. Maybe it was my one-time experiment with extended OCI with the Amsoil SS 5W30 that cause irreversible damage, maybe it was the 0W30, maybe it couldn't have been prevented - I don't know - but this experience has caused me to re-evaluate my oil choices moving forward.

Long story short, earlier today I e-mailed Amsoil technical service: "Does Signature Series 0W-30 (AZO) also meet Ford WSS-M2C946-A specification?"

And just received a reply:

Mike,

No, the AZO does not meet that specification however, our Signature Series 5w30, product code ASL does.

Thank you for contacting AMSOIL Technical Services.

Have a great day, and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Nick
Technical Service Representative

After my $3k repair, I'll be switching back to the 5W30 SS, which meets the Ford spec. For anyone still under warranty consider the AZO evidently does not meet specification, so oiling related failures may not be covered under warranty when non-spec oil is used.

Cheers!
2013 XSport

Macgyver

Everyone has their plans and ideas. This is what my Dad taught me.

Change it sooner than later. Every 6 months and or 5000 miles Max.

Oil is cheap. $30 for a home done synthetic oil change with filter.

There are many high quality oil brands out there far cheaper than Amsoil/Redline etc that will yield the same protection following the change it sooner and often mentality. I understand some people/Fleets cannot follow this.

I use 5w/30 Castrol Magnatek which is testing very well lately online. Usually runs $25 for 5+1 at Wally world.

Oil List. Not too current but with some recent updates.

http://pqiamerica.com/PCMO_Sample_Summary_12_15_2016.html

SM105K

Quote from: Macgyver on March 22, 2019, 04:24:32 PM

There are many high quality oil brands out there far cheaper than Amsoil/Redline etc that will yield the same protection following the change it sooner and often mentality. I understand some people/Fleets cannot follow this.

I use 5w/30 Castrol Magnatek which is testing very well lately online. Usually runs $25 for 5+1 at Wally world.

Oil List. Not too current but with some recent updates.

http://pqiamerica.com/PCMO_Sample_Summary_12_15_2016.html

Exactly, I am actually going to switch to the Castrol Magnatec for my next oil change.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

SHOdded

Quote from: MiWiAu on March 22, 2019, 03:35:47 PM
After my $3k repair, I'll be switching back to the 5W30 SS, which meets the Ford spec. For anyone still under warranty consider the AZO evidently does not meet specification, so oiling related failures may not be covered under warranty when non-spec oil is used.

Cheers!
Mike, do you remember WHEN you purchased the 0W30 formulation.  I believe the pre-Nov 2017 formulation had some ... issues ... with regards to volatility etc.  But yeah, if you are going to work that powertrain, you need mfr recommended oil weight at MINIMUM.  0W oils are primarily for fuel economy, some wear, but really if you look at the specs, see what temps your vehicle is most likely to experience.   Look at the cold pour point.  If you have cushion, stick with 5W.  If you really are pushing it, then you would look at 0W, but a premium 0W, if you are, again, work that powertrain.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

Quote from: SHOdded on March 22, 2019, 04:42:02 PM
Mike, do you remember WHEN you purchased the 0W30 formulation.  I believe the pre-Nov 2017 formulation had some ... issues ... with regards to volatility etc. 

Indeed! Looking back at my Amsoil order history, this is what I found:

Case ordered Feb 2017 (~15k miles)

6 qts ordered Jan 2018 (~7500mi)

Case ordered Jun 2018 (~15k miles)

6 qts ordered Mar 2019 (just before timing chain replacement, still have)

So, I would have gone approx 15k miles on pre-Nov 17 0W30 SS, and just under 37.5k miles (tuned) in all on 0W30.

I'm planning to exchange the stuff I just bought. Now that I'm back to stock, I'll just stick with mfg recommended 5W30.

Additionally, I had been going 7500mi between changes, and I think I'll revise that to 5k. Funny thing is looking at the onboard oil monitor, it wouldn't have me changing until a 10k interval. That seems insane, especially on the OEM filter.
2013 XSport

MiWiAu

Quote from: Macgyver on March 22, 2019, 04:24:32 PM

You gave me similar (and solid) advice in my oil analysis thread a couple years back as well. I tend to learn the hard way, but it's my own doing. :)
2013 XSport