• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Mobile 1 European

Started by Sugar, March 30, 2017, 07:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJP turbo

I thought ford is pretty clear in stating it must meet the wss spec.

Actually many if not all mfg have their own oil specs...when you look on amsoil site they show which of their oils meet the different mfg specs

I think the reason the mfg have their own specs is thats the only way they can garantee the oil is adequate and regardless of what additive packs the particular oil has it will be ok to use.

Look at the charts for the fluid recommendations for your car and there is a ford spec for every one of them

I dont think you are interpreting the recommended fluid correctly...its not the ford spec OR API its both
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

MiWiAu

Quote from: AJP turbo on March 30, 2017, 06:12:47 PM

Actually many if not all mfg have their own oil specs...when you look on amsoil site they show which of their oils meet the different mfg specs

I think the reason the mfg have their own specs is thats the only way they can garantee the oil is adequate and regardless of what additive packs the particular oil has it will be ok to use.

Look at the charts for the fluid recommendations for your car and there is a ford spec for every one of them

I dont think you are interpreting the recommended fluid correctly...its not the ford spec OR API its both

This is what's in my Owner's Manual (2013 Explorer Sport).

As I read it, it seems like either-or. If it's supposed to be both-and, then their wording sure is crappy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

Sugar

Quote from: AJP turbo on March 30, 2017, 06:12:47 PM

That pretty much clears up all my questions actually. I didn't realize that wss-m2c946-a was there.

This means no on the M1 Euro

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf
2015 SHO nonpp - Torrie 93 tune, AEM drop in, 170 thermostat, 3 bar

MiWiAu

Quote from: Sugar on March 30, 2017, 06:30:03 PM

That pretty much clears up all my questions actually.

Glad you're clear, because now I'm confused. LOL

Does your manual not have a footnote exception like mine (see post #17)?

2013 XSport

Sugar

I'd assume like Brad said that it is both API and WAS must be met. Second pic is from engine oil page in maintenance

MiWiAu

Quote from: Sugar on March 30, 2017, 06:44:45 PM
I'd assume like Brad said that it is both API and WAS must be met. Second pic is from engine oil page in maintenance

What are notes 5,6,7 (next to "engine oil")? You might need to flip a couple more pages to find the footnote explanations.

2013 XSport

AJP turbo

Yeah miwiau id go along with u in saying either or.....i thought I remembered the manual being a little more strict with the wss ford spec but i guess not

I would say then api is more generic and the wss ford spec is specific

There was a time i think when some of the amsoils were not api cerified but it was more because they didnt want to pay for the certification...but that didnt work so well for them becaaus people associated not having the cert with lower grade oil which i believe is wrong so now i think they all are
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

MiWiAu

I'm not too worried for my personal situation based on the oil I choose to use, but it sure would be nice if the man communicated a consistent message. Haha

2013 XSport

Sugar

5. Use of synthetic or synthetic blend isn't  mandatory. Only use fluid that meets Ford specs. Motor oils of the recommended viscosity grade that meet API SN requirements and display the API cert mark for gas engines are also acceptable. Do not use oil labeled with API SN service category unless the label also displays the API cert mark.

6 just says about ALL cert mark conforms to current standards.

7 says don't use oil additives

Quote from: MiWiAu on March 30, 2017, 06:47:48 PM
Quote from: Sugar on March 30, 2017, 06:44:45 PM

What are notes 5,6,7 (next to "engine oil")? You might need to flip a couple more pages to find the footnote explanations.

Sugar

Number 5 makes it sound like either wss or api. I couldn't never be a lawyer...

MiWiAu

Quote from: Sugar on March 30, 2017, 07:02:43 PM
Number 5 makes it sound like either wss or api. I couldn't never be a lawyer...

LOL. I love it.

"ONLY use fluid that meets Ford specifications... OR you can also use this other stuff that may or may not meet Ford specifications."

M1 is good stuff, but as pointed out already, the EU formulation is a different breed. You'd PROBABLY be just fine, but a big part of those EU formulations are due to strict emissions. Anecdotally, it seems like you may get superior additives in "US" oils that wouldn't qualify under the EU regulations.

2013 XSport

Sugar

Right now I have the rest of the GC I had on hand from my Subaru. I'll switch to something else here after this. What intervals are you guys following for engine oil?  I'm still reading everything on here figuring out what to change and when...rdu won't be pad, ptu looks shitty. What about atf too?

SHOdded

My preference, from anecdotes,would be Amsoil throughout.  But regular fluid changes, and you can use easily available synthetics like Mobil1, Royal Purple, Valvoline etc.  If you want to better Amsoil, you may want to look into Quantum Blue from BND Automotive.

Let a Blackstone analysis guide your OCI.  And depends on how OCD you are, LOL.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

Agree with SHOdded on his comments.

I'm in the process of doing a long term analysis with Blackstone on my Amsoil SS 5W-30. My goal is to safely get to 15K miles, so I can do a once a year service of the oil, PTU, and drain/fill trans.
2013 XSport

Sugar

Maybe I'll go that route too. If your even remotely getting up on 15k that's well worth the money. I been changing 3k just out of habit with GC.