• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Mobile 1 European

Started by Sugar, March 30, 2017, 07:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sugar

Just wondering if anyone has been running this in their ecobeast's.  Coming from the world of Subaru I typically ran German Castrol due it being a true synthetic and that at op. temp it was one of the "thickest" 30 weights in its category. I know M1 Euro recently dropped the GTR spec, but it still seems to be a good choice being PAO/Ester based like the GC.  It runs closer to a 30 weight when at temperature which is perfect.  Anyone with a better oil understanding can help me out, I would really appreciate it!
2015 SHO nonpp - Torrie 93 tune, AEM drop in, 170 thermostat, 3 bar

AJP turbo

Viscosity is really only part of it...the add package can be totally different in euro oils and they can be better but not meet the specs for your engine

The thickest 30 weight?....isnt 30 =30?

Thick is t always better...if too thick then oil pressure can get too high....viscosity will change your oil pressure.

Ideally you want the thinest oil that give proper pressure....most of us will never push a 30 weight oil to get it hot enough to make oil pressure drop
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Euro oils are formulated differently, as their requirements are different.  It is usually best to stick to US spec oils for US market engines unless the mfr specifies otherwise, or there is a proven track record for using a particular Euro oil in a US spec engine.  Yes, German cars like Euro spec oil LOL.

You can certainly experiment, but I would advise a Blackstone Labs analysis on a run on US spec oil vs a run on Euro spec oil, plus your own observations as you drive.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

Usually the SAPS is totally different in euro oils....sulphated ash and phosphorus and sulfur.....if you look on those euro oils i dont even think they meet the ford mortorcraft spec.

That doesnt mean its not as good it just means what it means.....meaning it simply doesnt meet the spec...so i would never run an oil that doesnt meet the mfg spec

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

MiWiAu

Quote from: AJP turbo on March 30, 2017, 11:13:41 AM
i would never run an oil that doesnt meet the mfg spec

Wait a tick... not to go off topic, but didn't you run Amsoil SS 0W-30? I just bought a case based on the recommendations of this group, and now I'm staring at the Amsoil SS spec sheet and their 5W-30 is the only one that meets the Ford WSS-M2C946-A spec for the 3.5L EB. The 0W-30 technically doesn't meet any Ford spec.

The 0W-30 was pimped pretty hard as superior to 5W-30 in another thread.

Knowing it doesn't meet Ford spec, would you still recommend Amsoil SS 0W-30 over 5W-30?

I guess it goes back to your earlier comment that just because it doesn't meet spec doesn't mean it's bad - it just doesn't meet spec. I'll still plan to use the 0W-30 I bought with some oil analysis along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

AJP turbo

Are you sure it doesnt meet the spec?..i thought it did....you may have me there...i think the ad pack is about the same for all the signature series oil but the 0w-30 oil in theory should just all the oil to have proper viscosity in sub zero temps which we may never see

If i had to pick though, id rather choose the oil of the same family but with viscosity that provides the correct oil pressure....the euro oils are a different animal

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

Dammit miwiau that was going to bug me......i just called amsoil and they dont show on the web page but the 0w-30 meets the ford specifications for the SHO

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

MiWiAu

Quote from: AJP turbo on March 30, 2017, 12:56:26 PM
Dammit miwiau that was going to bug me......i just called amsoil and they dont show on the web page but the 0w-30 meets the ford specifications for the SHO

Son of a b! I was really looking forward to finally catching you in a lie! LMAO :P

Thanks for following up!! I was going to dig into it, but busy day at work so far.

2013 XSport

MiWiAu

With regards to the op's original question, looking in my owner's manual (2013 Explorer), there is a note 2 superscript in the fluids table for oil which states "it is also acceptable to use an engine oil of recommended viscosity grade that displays the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines."

It looks like the Mobile 1 ESP 5-W30 meets API standards, so technically, I believe it's acceptable... Whether or not it's better than the non-Euro formulation or another oil brand/viscosity altogether is beyond my scope of understanding.

2013 XSport

Sugar

ASTM specs show 30 weight being between 9.3<12.5 mm2/s max viscosity and 40w is 12.5<16.3  I remember correctly, GC is somewhere on the high end of that range for 30w.  And the M1 Euro is at a 12.9 which is very low on the 40w.  Viscosity @100c difference is not that great. 

so 30=30 yes, but of course there is a range in this specification.

My plan was to use GC (0w-30) as i did in the Subaru, but i believe they are getting away from it (at least here in my area).  I can only seem to find GC 0w-40 now.  GC always met SM and now the 0w-40 meets the new SN API category.  That puts it in the GW5 which I believe is the newest ILSAC standard.  That is the same specs that Motorcraft meets.

I need to research more about the M1 Euro and see what I can find.  Viscosity is not the only part of the equation yes, so that may actually hinder my want to go this route...

Quote from: AJP turbo on March 30, 2017, 08:56:47 AM
Viscosity is really only part of it...the add package can be totally different in euro oils and they can be better but not meet the specs for your engine

The thickest 30 weight?....isnt 30 =30?

Thick is t always better...if too thick then oil pressure can get too high....viscosity will change your oil pressure.

Ideally you want the thinest oil that give proper pressure....most of us will never push a 30 weight oil to get it hot enough to make oil pressure drop

Sugar

Quote from: SHOdded on March 30, 2017, 10:03:31 AM
Euro oils are formulated differently, as their requirements are different.  It is usually best to stick to US spec oils for US market engines unless the mfr specifies otherwise, or there is a proven track record for using a particular Euro oil in a US spec engine.  Yes, German cars like Euro spec oil LOL.

You can certainly experiment, but I would advise a Blackstone Labs analysis on a run on US spec oil vs a run on Euro spec oil, plus your own observations as you drive.

I understand this.  I guess my real goal with this is to see REALLY is there a major difference in composition.  I will definitely get a BS labs test done on my current GC I am running.  I won't have much to compare it to though :X

AJP turbo

I dont think ilsac and api or gl5 have much to do with meeting the spec....you need to see if the oil meets the WSS number that is in your manual

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Therein lies the problem with enduser testing.  It is a leap of faith of sorts.  Why does the mfr specify what they specify?  Not only because it's widely availble, but because they have put countless hours into testing it.  So when we step outside the lines, we have to make sure we don't step TOO far outside the lines, because we simply do not have the means to perform that same level of testing.  Maybe there isn't any significant damage by using a 5W40, or a 0W40 Euro Spec oil in Ecoboost engines.  But how are we going to prove it out?  Scientific field testing is not going to happen for the vast majority of people.

BUT, we CAN compare oils based on their OVERALL specifications, which is where the ASTM standards come into play.  When we look to alter the fluid we choose to go with, we are looking for:  better Noack, better HT/HS, better flashpoint etc or any combo of those things.  Viscosity is kind of a basic requirement, followed by the additives.  Given proper viscosity, will the additives cause harm to the system over a long period of time?  Why is ZDDP no longer popular, why is boron used instead?  There are legal aspects of course, but engine design has also been altered to run better with modern additives.  Lower operating temperatures, tighter clearances, altered seal design, combustion & deposit characteristics, etc.

Similarly transmission fluid, coolant, & gear lube.  Many choices ...

BTW, AnotherGreenFusion had had some Blackstone Analysis done on virgin engine oils, if you are interested.  That post is somewhere around here.
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6907.msg106169.html#msg106169
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

Quote from: AJP turbo on March 30, 2017, 05:12:08 PM
I dont think ilsac and api or gl5 have much to do with meeting the spec....you need to see if the oil meets the WSS number that is in your manual

Agree wholeheartedly, but in my manual, it seems to be pretty loose with the oil specification. It states the recommended WSS spec, but also says in a footnote you can substitute for any API oil of the same recommended viscosity.

If any certified API oil (of the same viscosity) is acceptable from a warranty perspective, it makes me wonder why FoMoCo goes through the trouble of coming up with their own spec. Maybe to sell more Motorcraft fluids?

Good discussion here...

2013 XSport

Sugar

This loose interpretation is a damn problem for sure. If API is the end all according to it, why is there even so many different variations to use?  My manual just states to use XO-5w30-qsp or an equivalent API certified oil.

This may end up just being a circular argument, but still is productive at least my education in the topic.

Quote from: MiWiAu on March 30, 2017, 05:28:22 PM
Quote from: AJP turbo on March 30, 2017, 05:12:08 PM

Agree wholeheartedly, but in my manual, it seems to be pretty loose with the oil specification. It states the recommended WSS spec, but also says in a footnote you can substitute for any API oil of the same recommended viscosity.

If any certified API oil (of the same viscosity) is acceptable from a warranty perspective, it makes me wonder why FoMoCo goes through the trouble of coming up with their own spec. Maybe to sell more Motorcraft fluids?

Good discussion here...