• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Engine Oil Leak, Top and Bottom

Started by CroR1, May 20, 2017, 07:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CroR1

So today I was getting ready to change the oil on my 14 SHO, and I found bunch of oil on my oil filter, oil pan, alternator; it seemed like it was coming from top. examining the oil lines that go to turbos seemed okay, the ones on the oil filter housing were covered in oil. A bit of oil on the manifold bolt/shield when looking from underneath. Also, on top of the engine, the hoses for air were oily. there was some oil on the radiator fans housing. so when I took the plastic engine cover off, there was oil on cover at the beginning, soaked into the heat material glued to the plastic--as somehow the fans directed it in there.

This sensor had a good amount of oil underneath, soaked my hand in it.

this sensor also had good amount of oil underneath the sensor, and the pipe around these sensores were wet on the outside. I took the big rubber hose connected to the plastic pipe that goes behind the motor, and there was some oil in there. the air filter/box on the inside is dry. Had some oil on the clip that secures the air filter cover.

I cleaned the oil underneath, and the top.
The leak is not coming from the valve covers. The back/left side of motor is dry. The front/right side shows oil. The PCV line that hooks next to the oil filler cap, and connects to the air duct by the engine air filter box was soaked in oil. One would think that maybe the oil dipstick was lose and oil was leaking--while the fans directed the oil to under the cover heat material.

So the question is; what is the culprit of this leak? Internal Turbo seal gone?

If the oil lines into the filter housing were leaking, how does the oil find itself on the top of the engine above the intake? I did some research, but all I found was the oil return line to turbo.

I will be checking to see where this is coming from as I keep driving the car. I don't drive it as much, so we'll see how long and where it continues to leak.

The car is stock, other than an K&N air filter, which I placed in about a month ago and have not noticed any oil around the area at that time. However, I did not remove the engine cover then. The engine oil was replaced in December, and no oil leak was present. The oil life was at 31% today when I reset it.

ZSHO

I'm hoping your Boost reference solenoid is faulty and causing the underlying issues!!! But its the oil by the rear turbo that has me a bit concerned.  Z
B NO Warranty Correct?

16.45 ea
Manufacturer:   Ford
Part Number:   BL3Z-9K378-A
Part:   Vacuum Solenoid
Replaces:   AA5Z-9K378-A
https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/oem-parts/ford-by-pass-valve-bl3z9k378a/?c=Zz1lbmdpbmUmcz10dXJib2NoYXJnZXItYW5kLWNvbXBvbmVudHMmaT1KTjEwMjg1NSZyPTMzJmE9Zm9yZCZvPXRhdXJ1cyZ5PTIwMTQmdD1zaG8mZT0zLTVsLXY2LWdhcw%3D%3D

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Any driveability issues?  Inspected the radiator/condenser/intercooler for cracks/leaks, similar to what might happen from a front end collision?  Is the oil filter double-gasketed by any chance?  Sometimes a leak can originate from the engine oil pressure switch.

The turbo oil supply lines are also a frequent leak point on gen 4.1, haven't heard of it on the gen 4.2.  I know you inspected the turbo, but recheck it maybe?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

CroR1

No warranty Z. Last year when I asked, I was given a talk due lowering springs, so it seemed pointless.

Anyhow, the rear and front find of oil is my concern. I am thinking as well that I may have more than one issue. I rechecked the hose connections, and hand tightened few. All seemed good. Thank you for that solenoid link. The oil becomes evident on it again, it will be on order.

No driveability issue at all. the car runs strong. No hick ups.  Mobil 1 oil filter was there, Motorcraft oil filter after the oil change.

CroR1

Z, In pic one, Boost vacuum solenoid, and what's the one in pic 2 called?

Maybe I am getting more oil through those hoses than these 2 solenoids are capable of handling. Is it possible that they are both good, just an oil travel through those pipes are over flooding the gaskets?

ZSHO

Quote from: CroR1 on May 20, 2017, 09:11:31 PM
Z, In pic one, Boost vacuum solenoid, and what's the one in pic 2 called?

Maybe I am getting more oil through those hoses than these 2 solenoids are capable of handling. Is it possible that they are both good, just an oil travel through those pipes are over flooding the gaskets?
Which number on Diagram are you referencing to? Z
https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/auto-parts/2014/ford/taurus/sho-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/engine-cat/turbocharger-and-components-scat

Here's a recent thread you might find beneficial. Z
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,7758.0.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

CroR1

#33 is the what I posted in picture 1 on the first post (pointing with my finger). what's the one in the 2nd picture that I posted in the first thread? I cant recognize it in the links you posted.

ZSHO

Quote from: CroR1 on May 20, 2017, 09:41:27 PM
#33 is the what I posted in picture 1 on the first post (pointing with my finger). what's the one in the 2nd picture that I posted in the first thread? I cant recognize it in the links you posted.
If the front BOV IS LEAKING That might be good news. Z

CroR1

Yes, BOV. lol... I have been in a cage for the past 6 months, working. That's the thing, BOV, and the vacuum solenoid were oily. The pcv hoses, the radiator fan, air filter box... then the oil pan, oil filter, alternator, back manifold from the bottom, oil filter housing with oil lines...I swear, if I had taken my car in service I would have thought someone was playing a trick on me, front and back.

I don't know when it started, I wiped it all so now I will check more frequently after driving to see where it will leak.

How likely is it that BOV and the vacuum solenoid failed and are leaking? any cases here on the forum reported?

ZSHO

Quote from: CroR1 on May 20, 2017, 09:53:07 PM
Yes, BOV. lol... I have been in a cage for the past 6 months, working. That's the thing, BOV, and the vacuum solenoid were oily. The pcv hoses, the radiator fan, air filter box... then the oil pan, oil filter, alternator, back manifold from the bottom, oil filter housing with oil lines...I swear, if I had taken my car in service I would have thought someone was playing a trick on me, front and back.

I don't know when it started, I wiped it all so now I will check more frequently after driving to see where it will leak.

How likely is it that BOV and the vacuum solenoid failed and are leaking? any cases here on the forum reported?
I have heard a few reports but not to common.
The plunger could be leaking. Z
I would also try using a MC FL-500S OIL FILTER.
img][/img]