• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Custom Drive Shaft, Possibly Carbon Fiber

Started by autobahn terror, March 17, 2017, 09:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

autobahn terror

Hello All,

Im sure most are already aware of the Drive Shaft Failure I had last Sat. If not, Check out the Catistrophic Driveshaft Failure Thread for details/Photos.

Any-Who, I have been hunting down some alternatives to the stock 2 Piece Carrier Bearing Shaft that is basiclly a base F150 Shaft that was mad to work in a AWD Taurus and other similar AWD Platforms. Im am unsure of Placement of this thread, but since I am getting this done for a SHO ill put it here for now...

It took about a week of internet hunting and calling custom shops, but I finally found one who will be takeing possesion of my old CV joints to look at fesability of a custom shaft, most likely made from Carbon Fiber. This would be a Huge upgrade for guys who like to go fast, as the F150 base shaft is notoriously junk, and unable to be repaired even if the failure is not as bad as mine was.

There was another shop I found that stocks OEM style Shafts that are steel, but with slighty thicker walls and larger tube diamater. Not enough to be ground breaking and it costs the same as a stock Shaft, so it may as well be.

Personally, I want to go FAST. and I dont want to destroy the car or my life doing it. SO...I am looking to find out how many people in the community are interested in a group buy of Carbon Fiber Shafts, or even interest to convice the driveshaftshop to offer a CF shaft made to fit the SHO/FLEX/platform as they do already for the mustang. www.driveshaftshop.com

I need to know soon However, as this process is already in motion, and customer base will determine the shops willingness to put effort into product development.
2014 PP, Dicunzolo Gen2 Mounts, Gear Head Intercooler, EcoPowerParts Charge Pipes w/Meth Bung @1GPH, Hennessy KnN CAI W/RECIRC, Alky controls meth injection, Lightly Ported Intake drilled and tapped for Port Meth Injection 1GPH per Cylinder, XDI EVO HPFP, Deathwerks 340LPH intank LPFP, ATP Turbos, EPP Catless DownPipes, Corsa CAT Back, 160TSTAT, 3BAR MAP, Stock Ignition coils, SP542 plugs .028, UPR Catch Can, MEGAN Coilovers,  Power Stop Z23 Brake Kit, 93octane Dynotune @ 430AWHP/430AWTQ...Soon to be much more

Gjkrisa

I would LOVE to but I'm waiting another year at least before ruining my warranty but also of I can get ford to say these are an upgrade I need to pay off credit cards first.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

irondoor19

FOR ME,AS always there is an interest, BUT it
also goes back to HOW MUCH (approx) are we talking,
and as the MODS are ever increasing, the budget is getting smaller
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

autobahn terror

Anybody have access to a lift or the time to get some full length pictures of the stock driveshaft installed on their SHO? need the pics for the custom shaft build and for obvious reasons, i dont have a drive shaft to take pictures of myself...
2014 PP, Dicunzolo Gen2 Mounts, Gear Head Intercooler, EcoPowerParts Charge Pipes w/Meth Bung @1GPH, Hennessy KnN CAI W/RECIRC, Alky controls meth injection, Lightly Ported Intake drilled and tapped for Port Meth Injection 1GPH per Cylinder, XDI EVO HPFP, Deathwerks 340LPH intank LPFP, ATP Turbos, EPP Catless DownPipes, Corsa CAT Back, 160TSTAT, 3BAR MAP, Stock Ignition coils, SP542 plugs .028, UPR Catch Can, MEGAN Coilovers,  Power Stop Z23 Brake Kit, 93octane Dynotune @ 430AWHP/430AWTQ...Soon to be much more

ZSHO

That's all i have for now brother but will try to get some more pics later for ya.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Gjkrisa

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

irondoor19

Taking Pics of the Shaft as we Speak, AND ON ANOTHER NOTE

SO went to the Ford  dealer Nearest ME (not my favorite Dealer)
and
asked about a price for the Drive shaft carrier bearing...
Instead they told me you have to buy the whole assembly 764.64 List
yea Right, anyone that has a good Dealer that might be able
to break this down.. Would appreciate it a whole bunch....

HEY: PICKED UP A USED DRIVE SHAFT from 2011 w 20K Miles Complete for 130.00

Down side of taking the attached pics.. if you want entire length pics
the exhaust has to be removed. and that is not happening any time soon

SHOdded

Yup pretty standard to replace the entire driveshaft.  Not to say you couldn't do some measurements, call up some bearing mfrs and custom build one yourself.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

irondoor19

Ok lets try this again, i went out and looked, made him take these pics again..

autobahn terror

I highly appreciate all the pictures and help from you guys. Here is the latest. The DriveshaftShop is requiring an OEM shaft and Carrier support structure in order to Complete a CF custom shaft.

irondoor19... Where did you see that used shaft for 130? I requested a quote from the dealership nearest to the DriveShaftShop in NC, but I am expecting a $800 bill just to provide an example shaft.

I need to see if there are any differences between the 2012/below and 2013+ years.

Can I get another Head Count on people who are interested in purchasing the newly developed CF shaft?

autobahn terror

Quote from: autobahn terror on March 24, 2017, 03:40:06 AM
Can I get another Head Count on people who are interested in purchasing the newly developed CF shaft?

Looks like the carbon fiber shaft is a go. The drive shaft shop quoted me 1650 for a 3.8 inch diameter shaft. says the first one is discounted because it needs to test fit with plates. i am going to send im my ends from the failed shaft. Is anyone near NC that is looking for a CF shaft for their Sho? i dont mind doing the test fit, just think it would go alot smoother with someone in the states closer to the shop.

shaundizzle15

Did this ever fully come to life? Just curious
Hockey/Golf/Car geek, Beagle loving, and totally comfortable with it.
Tuxedo Black nonPP 2013 SHO traded in
Shadow Black nonPP 2016 SHO
VTA, and tuned by GH

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

autobahn terror

Hey Shaundizzle,

Yes It is in the works, its been a while but I had to wait alittle due to the racing season and such.

The last word i got was I am in line at the CNC mill for the custom adapter plate fabrication.

The Group buy thing never went anywhere because everyone wants to see what mine ends up looking like and performing like first i guess. I am also looking into the half shafts up front for safety, as I have been driving the car FWD since the problem, and I havnt been nice about it.

I havnt been getting notifications so I will be looking at the forum more often now...

SHOdded

I think the notification settings were too tightly set, and I have updated your profile to allow more latitude.  Let's see if it works!

Glad to see the project is still progressing.  Did you see the other thread where they basically converted the car to FWD fulltime?
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,8539.msg128652.html#msg128652