• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

JLT vs. UPR Catch Can. Opinions/Reviews please!

Started by derfdog15, December 06, 2016, 03:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derfdog15

Thinking about getting an OCC at some point and wondering if anyone has opinions/reviews on the JLT or the UPR catch can? The UPR and RX are the same price and basically same design, so it is more between JLT and UPR as there is about a $200 price gap and I am wondering if you get what you pay for. I know the JLT is a smaller can (3oz) vs. the 8oz of the UPR.

Anyways, thanks guys.

JLT:
http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=524_525_537_519&products_id=1122

UPR:
http://www.uprproducts.com/sho-billet-dual-valve-catch-can-ecoboost-09.html
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

autobahn terror

I would go UPR, for a couple of reasons,

1. Placement, the Picture on the link you posted, shows a small can right in the spot where a windshield washer fill tank would go if you were to install a meth kit from alky controls

2.Size, the UPR can looks larger than the one in the same photo, and it in fact is larger, it holds 8 oz. versus the 3 oz. JLT. If you dont mind emptying it more often then more power to you

3.Install instructions, show taped hose ends and other none professional s***, good final install looks and usefulness of clip connectors convey forethought, forethought means they gave a s***, which to me means the UPR product will most likely perform better, (though I actually wouldnt know as I dont own one),

4.No clean side separator, I didnt see an option for a clean side sep. like the UPR has.

I run a UPR and have no complaints, It works exactly as advertised, with no leaks, fits in place with my relocated window washer fill tank, has a clean side sep. and holds enough fluid that I can wait alittle longer before checking it.

Just my opinion...
2014 PP, Dicunzolo Gen2 Mounts, Gear Head Intercooler, EcoPowerParts Charge Pipes w/Meth Bung @1GPH, Hennessy KnN CAI W/RECIRC, Alky controls meth injection, Lightly Ported Intake drilled and tapped for Port Meth Injection 1GPH per Cylinder, XDI EVO HPFP, Deathwerks 340LPH intank LPFP, ATP Turbos, EPP Catless DownPipes, Corsa CAT Back, 160TSTAT, 3BAR MAP, Stock Ignition coils, SP542 plugs .028, UPR Catch Can, MEGAN Coilovers,  Power Stop Z23 Brake Kit, 93octane Dynotune @ 430AWHP/430AWTQ...Soon to be much more

derfdog15

Quote from: autobahn terror on March 16, 2017, 10:32:35 AM
I would go UPR, for a couple of reasons,

1. Placement, the Picture on the link you posted, shows a small can right in the spot where a windshield washer fill tank would go if you were to install a meth kit from alky controls

2.Size, the UPR can looks larger than the one in the same photo, and it in fact is larger, it holds 8 oz. versus the 3 oz. JLT. If you dont mind emptying it more often then more power to you

3.Install instructions, show taped hose ends and other none professional s***, good final install looks and usefulness of clip connectors convey forethought, forethought means they gave a s***, which to me means the UPR product will most likely perform better, (though I actually wouldnt know as I dont own one),

4.No clean side separator, I didnt see an option for a clean side sep. like the UPR has.

I run a UPR and have no complaints, It works exactly as advertised, with no leaks, fits in place with my relocated window washer fill tank, has a clean side sep. and holds enough fluid that I can wait alittle longer before checking it.

Just my opinion...

Yeah no one really responded but I came to that conclusion as well. However, when I pulled my charge pipes for EPP hotpipes I had very minimal oil in the piping, and my throttle blade is spotless, so a catch can went to the back burner. Since my car recently had a run in with a few road side shoulder gaurds and a Jetta TDI, its even more so on the backburner. Most likely will get the car back to stock, and just run my current set up for a while. Once I am out of my complete 60k/6Yr window, I'll look into ATPs and a custom FMIC. May re-asses a catch can in the meantime but IDK.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

autobahn terror

Ouch that sucks. I killed my warranty at 43 miles for what its worth. ford still covers recalls without it, plus id rather enjoy now then dream about maybe later. Thats just me thou. To many close calls in my life to not enjoy the things that infatuate me.
2014 PP, Dicunzolo Gen2 Mounts, Gear Head Intercooler, EcoPowerParts Charge Pipes w/Meth Bung @1GPH, Hennessy KnN CAI W/RECIRC, Alky controls meth injection, Lightly Ported Intake drilled and tapped for Port Meth Injection 1GPH per Cylinder, XDI EVO HPFP, Deathwerks 340LPH intank LPFP, ATP Turbos, EPP Catless DownPipes, Corsa CAT Back, 160TSTAT, 3BAR MAP, Stock Ignition coils, SP542 plugs .028, UPR Catch Can, MEGAN Coilovers,  Power Stop Z23 Brake Kit, 93octane Dynotune @ 430AWHP/430AWTQ...Soon to be much more

derfdog15

Quote from: autobahn terror on March 16, 2017, 12:02:24 PM
Ouch that sucks. I killed my warranty at 43 miles for what its worth. ford still covers recalls without it, plus id rather enjoy now then dream about maybe later. That's just me thou. To many close calls in my life to not enjoy the things that infatuate me.

Yeah my warranty is pretty trashed at this moment, 15k on the car but tuned, and full bolt ons. But oh well. Kinda want to slow down and enjoy it as is before going crazy on it again haha.

ZSHO

I would assimilate the JLT OCC from the equation plain and simple since its not a Dual valve billet OCC and only contours to the passenger dirty side only.
I would focus on the UPR or the RX OCC kit which is overall a better quality unit hands down.
I think RX http://www.rxspeedworks.com has both the UPR & RX units in stock.  Z
http://www.rxspeedworks.com/product/09-15-taurus-3-5-sho-ecoboost-dual-valve-catch-can-css-plug-and-play/

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

derfdog15

Quote from: ZSHO on March 16, 2017, 12:48:09 PM
I would assimilate the JLT OCC from the equation plain and simple since its not a true dual valve billet OCC and only contours to the passenger dirty side only.
I would focus on the UPR or the RX OCC kit which is overall a better quality unit hands down.
I think RX http://www.rxspeedworks.com has both units in stock.  Z
http://www.rxspeedworks.com/product/09-15-taurus-3-5-sho-ecoboost-dual-valve-catch-can-css-plug-and-play/

Yeah I made that decision a while back. I posted the original thread like, 3 months?, or so ago. I'll go UPR if I end up doing a catch can. I've heard some reviews of RX service that aren't the best, and UPR is close by my parents (1hr), I always get a nice discount when shopping with them, and I run their full suspension on my mustang. But probably won't do an OCC for a bit, especially since I don't even have a timeline yet on when/if my car will be fixed.