• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Misfire on highway,Spark plugs today

Started by Hotrod Lincoln, August 17, 2017, 10:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hotrod Lincoln

The other day we were headed back from Vail at about 75mph and felt a shudder, or vibration. My CEL was flashing slowly, then 10 seconds later, it was gone. Running fine.

I ordered some SP534's and installed them today. Pretty easy install. Didn't have to unhook anything but I did crack the corner of a COP but just put it back on. All in took about 1-1.25 hours. Everything was very clean. The old ones were gapped 40-42 and one was at 45-46. New ones were set at 31.

Seems to run good. Hopefully that took care of the issue.  The old ones were 528's. they didn't look horrible but definitely tired.
2011 MKS 81K Miles

Macgyver

Ouch. Thats a big gap.

Hopefully that is the cause.

If it was winter. I would say some bad gas too.

Hotrod Lincoln

Quote from: Macgyver on August 17, 2017, 10:30:27 PM
Ouch. Thats a big gap.

Hopefully that is the cause.

If it was winter. I would say some bad gas too.

Yeah, I hope it's fixed. I only use 91 Costco gas. I was worried that I might have put 85 octane in it by accident but told the wife I don't think I would have overlooked that.
2011 MKS 81K Miles

ZSHO

The platinum MC SP-528 look original based on the rust buildup on the porcelain. Z
I would of ordered some new COP for some reassurance.

NGK 58978
6 COP Boots Req'd; No Wires Req'd (Only 19 Remaining)
$3.71 ea

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/lincoln,2011,mks,3.5l+v6+turbocharged,1446518,ignition,spark+plug+/+coil-on-plug+boot,10150

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Good riddance to the 528s.  They are prone to having issues anyway, as noted in Ford's TSB.  Agreed on a new COP anyway, keep the old one as a backup/tester.

I guess no trouble getting the boots off?  Plenty of stories about boots "welding" themselves to the plugs.  PITA from experience :P
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Hotrod Lincoln

Quote from: SHOdded on August 17, 2017, 11:57:58 PM
Good riddance to the 528s.  They are prone to having issues anyway, as noted in Ford's TSB.  Agreed on a new COP anyway, keep the old one as a backup/tester.

I guess no trouble getting the boots off?  Plenty of stories about boots "welding" themselves to the plugs.  PITA from experience :P

No. They looked perfect. The only one I had problems with was the one. It wasn't the boots either. It was just sealed really well. I already ordered a new COP per Z and you.
2011 MKS 81K Miles

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Macgyver

Hotrod Lincoln

Quote from: Macgyver on August 18, 2017, 11:04:27 PM
Running Good now?

Seems like it has better throttle response and I have yet to have it misfire again, although I haven't driven it more than a 15 minute highway ride yet. It does seem to have noticeable more power than it did. As wide as the gaps were it sure seems to me that was the problem.
2011 MKS 81K Miles