• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Brake warp?

Started by Gjkrisa, April 24, 2017, 09:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

I only have one word in response ... "Transwarp"
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: MiWiAu on April 26, 2017, 12:06:34 AM
Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on April 25, 2017, 11:39:22 PM
how about putting it in neutral after a hard stop and (let's say if your on a hill) putting the e brake on? will that have the same effect as holding the brake pads to the hot rotors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you have to define "hard stop". If you're tooling around on the street doing normal DD stuff and you have to make an emergency stop, I don't think you will build enough heat to imprint.

If you are out road racing and running sustained heavy breaking (just to torque AJP ;), I think you would still imprint the front with your suggested method, and probably the rear (from using the ebrake). Even when you're not applying the brake, there's still slight contact between the pads and discs.

For reference, I had no issues with imprinting during my autocross. There's just not enough time at speed to build a ton of heat. I'd run HARD for 50 seconds, then stop in a line (no room for a cool down lap), but there's several minutes between runs to let things cool completely, so things never get super hot.

Hauling a 5200+ lb Excursion down from 100MPH under moderate/aggressive braking will generate a lot of heat, and I could certainly see sitting stationary waiting out a light at the end of an off ramp causing some issues.

I thought I "warped" rotors on my Altima SE-R 13k miles after I bought it new. Same thing on a F150. I'm fairly certain my issue was actually imprinting from parking shortly after spirited driving without allowing things to cool down first. Once I educated myself and allowed things to cool after hard driving, I've not experienced an issue.

in any event you get the brakes hot i would imagine putting the car in neutral with foot off the pedal and ,if you had to keep the car from rolling, applying a small amount of E brake. my thinking is that the fronts do much more of the work and reach higher temps so just applying the e brake on the rears may prevent the warp scenario.

11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

Half-Fast

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on April 26, 2017, 10:30:49 AM

in any event you get the brakes hot i would imagine putting the car in neutral with foot off the pedal and ,if you had to keep the car from rolling, applying a small amount of E brake. my thinking is that the fronts do much more of the work and reach higher temps so just applying the e brake on the rears may prevent the warp scenario.

This might work just fine as a SHO parking brake isn't the same set of friction material as the service brakes (lil shoes inside the rear rotor).  They wouldn't be seriously effected by being applied when stopped like a caliper based parking brake would.
2014 SHO PP Deep Impact Blue.  All stock...

MiWiAu

Quote from: Half-Fast on April 26, 2017, 10:45:23 AM
This might work just fine as a SHO parking brake isn't the same set of friction material as the service brakes (lil shoes inside the rear rotor).  They wouldn't be seriously effected by being applied when stopped like a caliper based parking brake would.

Is that true of all model years? My XSport (2013) doesn't use internal shoes. It's a caliper based parking brake using the same friction material as primary braking. I'm fairly certain my rear rotors and caliper part numbers are the same as 2013+ SHO (not sure if PP vs non-PP matters, as I'm not all that familiar with SHO options/configurations).

2013 XSport

Half-Fast

Quote from: MiWiAu on April 27, 2017, 08:50:37 AM
Quote from: Half-Fast on April 26, 2017, 10:45:23 AM

Is that true of all model years? My XSport (2013) doesn't use internal shoes. It's a caliper based parking brake using the same friction material as primary braking. I'm fairly certain my rear rotors and caliper part numbers are the same as 2013+ SHO (not sure if PP vs non-PP matters, as I'm not all that familiar with SHO options/configurations).

Gotcha
2014 SHO PP Deep Impact Blue.  All stock...