• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

New to me 2010 SHO with a few updates

Started by dcmartinpc, March 09, 2017, 01:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcmartinpc

So this is a bit belated since I have been posting and asking around for advice already!  But I purchased a 2010 SHO (Non-PP) late 2016 with 62k miles and all the bells and whistles except for ACC.  I have been a Ford nut since I was a kid, but all of my previous performance and mod work was on muscle cars.  I also own a 1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport I have owned since I was 16 with a 351CJ (Cobra Jet Cleveland) with too many add ons and parts to list here :)  It should be making roughly 550HP at the flywheel, but I have never had it on a dyno.

I love my Fords, but this is my first move into tuning a modern vehicle.  I am excited to learn all I can but also hopeful some folks here can help keep me from driving off a cliff!

I have been accumulating parts for the SHO and now have everything except my new downpipes here and installed.

Here is the mod list:

K&N Air Filter
3 bar map
170 Reiche Thermostat
Motorcraft SP-534 Spark Plugs
Stainless Works catless downpipes (Ordered but not yet installed)

Also if you want to count these....

SCT Livewire TS+
Crash's Gaugepod
Dual Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge kit
Black plastidipped factory 20" wheels

I am in Michigan and so far we have not had any indication that heavy emissions standards are headed our way, so I stuck with catless downpipes.  I am going to leave the stock catback and 3rd cat in place to help eliminate any exhaust odors.  I also prefer the milder exhaust tone as opposed to the raspiness I have heard from most aftermarket catbacks.

I have started tuning with AJP Turbo and just installed my first tune last night starting with a 89 octane tune.

Very happy so far.

I need to give the SHO a quick wash and then I will post some pics.

A quick note to anyone doing a thermostat swap, please do yourself a favor and pickup the Lisle No Spill funnel and research how to use it.  It makes an annoying job easy!  I found it thanks to a thread here on this forum and immediately questioned where it had been all my life!

Feel free to ask any questions and I would love to hear other's opinions.

Thanks!

Don

bpd1151

Appears to be a great start to wonderful experiences with your SHO.

Enjoy it!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Thanks for taking the time, Don, our experience would be greatly enhanced tho if you would post pics of your rides :D
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

dcmartinpc

Here are a few pics and videos of my Torino.  Ignore the messy engine bay :)  I was more concerned about going fast than looking good when I put this all together!  I have updated to a MSD Pro Billet Distributor since then and changed out the air filter to K&N.

Videos (Links Below Pictures)

Torino Video 1

Torino Video 2

Torino Video 3

bpd1151

I can't ignore the piles upon piles of leaves, branches, and other debris accumulated along the windshield wiper cowel.

My OCD is getting the best of me. C'mon now Don, it doesn't take that much effort. Lol.

Cleaning that alone, could account for a .1

Ha!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

dcmartinpc

This pic was from 10 years ago :) It is in the garage right now and won't be coming out for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Love the pics!  Now that you have opened up the faucet a little bit, how about some more :D  How did you come by the Gran Torino?  What other cars in the Ford fam would you list as your favorite?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

dcmartinpc

I'll post up some pics of the SHO tomorrow, it is clean now :)

The Gran Torino is an interesting story.  I have always been somewhat of a nerd growing up and that usually landed me at people's houses fixing their computer for spending money.  1 of those was looking for a new computer.  I happened to see the Torino in their garage and asked if they would be interested in a trade?  Surprisingly they were!  So for the cost of a computer I already had the parts for and $600, I was a 16 year living the dream!  I have more blood, sweat, and tears in that car than I like to think about, but it has been with me for 20 years now.  I am one of the lucky ones.

As far as other Fords, I am in the minority in that I LOVE the bubble body style of the 94-98 Mustang!  I owned a 96 GT that I thought was decently fast at the time, but we all know how much of a pooch Ford made that 4.6, especially in its early years!  I have always had the dream of dropping a different motor in one of those body styles, but never quite pulled the trigger.

I did some data logging tonight, I was a bit disappointed in the results.  My 0-60 times are out of whack, but it is definitely faster than it was before...  I am just hoping something isn't wrong with the car.  I don't have any DTCs so I am hoping it is something silly like bad fuel or something else.  Brad should be able to tell from the data logs, I am too tired tonight to dig through them too much.  It was only an 89 tune and very much a starting point. 

I know it isn't the tune, now I just need to figure out what it is.  I did notice the knock sensor was pulling time, sometimes -3 degrees.  I did some reading here and it seems the knock sensor wire needs to be secured, so I plan to do that tomorrow and hopefully get another run in and see if that helps.  There was myself and 1 other person in the car and my jack in the trunk, and I'm not a small guy, but I can't imagine that would account for as much time as I saw.  I also did not brake boost for launch, would that make that much of a difference?  We are talking well over a second slower than documented stock numbers for 0-60.

I want to check with Brad before I share the datalogs on the forum to be respectful to his work.

If anyone has any ideas, please feel free to share.  Is there something obvious I should be looking for?

Don

SHOdded

Typically it is a fueling issue and interaction with torque management when tune related.  You have checked the pcm for codes, turbo piping for looseness/cracking, and intercooler for crud buildup?  Doesnt sound like you are experiencing  symptoms other than the "slowness" of the car?  It may turn out to be something as simple as the differential fluids needing R&R, or wheel bearing or brake caliper binding.

dcmartinpc

I did a quick visual inspection on the turbo piping and it all looked good, I will go through it tomorrow and inspect them more closely.  I have not checked the intercooler so that is something to review.

I had the fluids changed and flushed in the PTU and rear differential about a month ago.  I would think if I had a caliper dragging I would be smelling smoked brake pads or having other issues.  3 of the 4 wheel bearings were also replaced about a month ago and the 4th was inspected.

I could just break down and order a new set of hot pipes from EPP with a Tial bov to rule that out....  I only wish he also had them with a wastegate port to also run a 3rd party wastegate and manual boost controller if I ever go down that road :)

Decisions...

I will wait to see what Brad has to say, but until then, I am happy to hear any other thoughts from members here!

Don

derfdog15

When you say -3 degrees do you mean it showed as negative KR or positive? -KR is actually adding spark and is good. Positive is what you don't want, and knock sensor wire securing is a good call.

I have my EPP hotpipes off the car, due to a boost issue I am having, had a tial MV-S 38mm welded and set up as well. Im 50/50 on puting them back on the car once its fixed or selling. Its not super hard to add the wastegate boost regulator mod, just takes patience and a good welder.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

dcmartinpc

Yes, they were negative KR, I love learning :)  Thanks for the info!

Don

dcmartinpc

Here is a pic of my SHO. Nothing super special, but she's mine :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk