• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Vacuum/Boost Leak - Need HELP!

Started by derfdog15, March 06, 2017, 10:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frozen Blue

I understand your frustration man. If you're doubting the wastegate that's easy to check. The air line going from the EBC to each wastegate is easy to access. Pressurize that line, the wastegate arm should not move until 4-5psi right? I did that when installing a GTX2867 on my ST when I set the preload to 1 bar.
2013 SHO non-pp
3 bar Map, 160° tstat
Powerstop Z23 rotors/pads
LMS v10

derfdog15

Quote from: StealBlueSho on March 09, 2017, 08:22:36 PM
Quote from: derfdog15 on March 09, 2017, 07:28:28 PM
Also thinking maybe somehow a MAP sensor is bad? Does that seem reasonable at all?

Worth testing with the 2bar tune?

Honestly considering putting the car completely back to stock, minus the axle backs, and doing some emissions drive cycles. Then taking it to an obscure dealer that hasn't seen the car, and having them diagnose. If it fixes by going to stock then one of the parts is the issue. If it doesnt, then the dealer can pay for a new turbo under warranty. No idea.

If going back to stock doesn't fix it, then I would do the above mentioned. Worst case is they say no, best case is they replace it. You would be no worse than you are now.

My though exactly. Either I find out something I did caused an issue (unlikely since i haven't done anything since december) OR there is an issue on a stock part. Hopefully they could get it fixed if that was the case.

Quote from: Frozen Blue on March 09, 2017, 08:42:14 PM
I understand your frustration man. If you're doubting the wastegate that's easy to check. The air line going from the EBC to each wastegate is easy to access. Pressurize that line, the wastegate arm should not move until 4-5psi right? I did that when installing a GTX2867 on my ST when I set the preload to 1 bar.

My issue is basically that I am being held to wastegate spring pressure. Car makes a bit above 5 psi for a few moments (ive seen a little over 10 on the intro to 3rd/4th if driving hard) but it gets pulled back to 5psi and held there.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

derfdog15

Brad is sending me a revisions with 2bar MAP so I can check if my 3 bar took a crap.

Also found this, for the F150s. Not exactly what I have going on, but possibly plausible? https://www.f150forum.com/f70/strange-turbo-issue-2011-ecoboost-250851/index4/

Didn't seem to be fixed with the battery reset/relearn. I'll probably have to take it back to stock and make a dealer trip.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

derfdog15

Further update, as it sits the issue is better but not fixed totally. Boost peaks and holds to 11.5psi and after 4 or so seconds drops off when underboost is detected.

AJP turbo

Are you able to reach the wastegate arms and see if you can move them to see if they are on a bind oe stuck...this can only be a few things i would think...massive air leak or one or both gates are stuck open since you have replaced sensors and removed piping
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

StealBlueSho

FYI... at one point sticky wastegates were an issue with these cars... at least on the 2010-2012MY...

ZSHO

Check out Page 160 & up and see if it helps any. Z
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/ford_content/catalog/motorcraft/OBDSM1505.pdf

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

derfdog15

Quote from: AJP turbo on March 10, 2017, 06:07:33 PM
Are you able to reach the wastegate arms and see if you can move them to see if they are on a bind oe stuck...this can only be a few things i would think...massive air leak or one or both gates are stuck open since you have replaced sensors and removed piping

I'll try and get my hand to the wastegate arms and pull and see what happens. I am also planning to do another pressure test just to be certain before I send Sabtaj1 his tester back. Since it doesn't seem to have any leaks this is the only reasonable explanation.

Quote from: StealBlueSho on March 10, 2017, 06:47:25 PM
FYI... at one point sticky wastegates were an issue with these cars... at least on the 2010-2012MY...

Now they tell me :/...I still think to get them replaced under warranty I would have to put the car to stock, otherwise Ford would probably say I put "too much boost" through them and caused premature failure.

Quote from: ZSHO on March 10, 2017, 07:58:56 PM
Check out Page 160 & up and see if it helps any. Z
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/ford_content/catalog/motorcraft/OBDSM1505.pdf

Thanks Z. That pretty much confirms that underboost is either from a major leak, which I don't seem to have, or wastegates. I'll try and check them by hand, if they seem sticky and I can get them unstuck maybe I can hit normal boost again. If that is the case then I may just say screw it and get the turbosmart actuators, or just pony up for the ATPs.

Ryan02Stang

Ever figure this issue out?

I'm having a similar issue with my 2012 MKS.  I noticed it feeling slower, so hooked up my boost gauge.  I'm hitting a max of 11psi with a 3 bar tune installed, 2 bar tune installed, and returned to stock.  I don't hear any weird noises, but it seems something is holding me at 11psi.  No codes and car is operating completely normal, other than feeling slow.
2015 Explorer Sport
2012 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, Unleashed
2002 Mustang GT, Vortech Supercharged

SHOdded

Confirmed that the BOVs are functioning properly?  The orange gaskets sometimes let go.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Ryan02Stang

I haven't, but to be honest I'm not even sure how to check?  I'm mechanically inclined, but never dealt with a turbo car before.

Guess I could just take the BOV's off and check the gaskets?
2015 Explorer Sport

ZSHO

Quote from: Ryan02Stang on June 28, 2018, 10:48:44 AM

I'm having a similar issue with my 2012 MKS.  I noticed it feeling slower, so hooked up my boost gauge.  I'm hitting a max of 11psi with a 3 bar tune installed, 2 bar tune installed, and returned to stock.  I don't hear any weird noises, but it seems something is holding me at 11psi.  No codes and car is operating completely normal, other than feeling slow.
What IAT Temps are you seeing!  It should not exceed 150-F IIRC!
Check the CAC(Intercooler) for any debris & obstructed air-flow. 

Try cleaning the MAP & IAT Sensors with some Mass-air-flow cleaner to see if it helps any!
I guess you can always perform a  PCM Reset!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Yes take the off and inspect.  If there is a tear, it will be obvious.  As always, check fir loose hoses atop the intake manifold.  Also, turbo piping for loose clamps, cracks, accumulating oiliness.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Ryan02Stang

Quote from: ZSHO on June 28, 2018, 03:58:31 PM
Quote from: Ryan02Stang on June 28, 2018, 10:48:44 AM

What IAT Temps are you seeing!  It should not exceed 150-F IIRC!
Check the CAC(Intercooler) for any debris & obstructed air-flow. 

Try cleaning the MAP & IAT Sensors with some Mass-air-flow cleaner to see if it helps any!
I guess you can always perform a  PCM Reset!  Z

I'll clean the IAT's and see what temps I'm getting. 

I cleaned my MAP sensor, and even swapped my 2 bar sensor back in a loaded a 2 bar tune....same thing, 11psi max. 

I still haven't seen anything that looks like it would be causing a leak, so I'm thinking maybe a wastegate problem.  I'll definitely check the IAT's tomorrow.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

2015 Explorer Sport

Ryan02Stang

Also, does anyone know the part number for the wastegate actuator?  And why the Turbosmart ones only say 2013+?  I didn't know there was changes in the turbos in 2013.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
2015 Explorer Sport