• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Vacuum/Boost Leak - Need HELP!

Started by derfdog15, March 06, 2017, 10:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derfdog15

Quote from: ZSHO on March 08, 2017, 10:27:56 PM
Does your local Ford dealer have the part in stock/shelf.?  I guess you can always bring the original part with you for comparison .IDK.  Z
BTW Hows the oil psi. ?
Having a Smoke test done could be inconclusive perhaps.!!!

Oil pressure seems fine. Engine runs perfect out of boost, and gets pissed when trying to make full boost due to what I assume is the solenoid. I am going to call my local dealer and a few within ~2 hours and see if I can source the solenoid locally and have the car fixed ASAP. If not I'll get it online.

Im going to leave the stock chargepipes on to test, and will go back to EPP pipes after I get it all fixed. Dont want to add more variables.

I wasnt sure what to expect solenoid wise, as I didnt know if it was default to open or default to closed, but since one turbo path is open and the other closed that indicates something is wrong to me, as I feel they both should be the same.

Luckily its literally a 2 minute job, and most of that is drinking a beer at the end to celebrate (ofcouse after test driving since drinking and driving is a no-no).

Hopefully I can source one locally and get it fixed. Sabtaj1 sent a homeade boost leak device for me to use if need be, if the solenoid fixes the issue, I may still do a leak test just to be safe. But shoutout to him for that. And shoutout to you Z and to AJP for continued support.

Shoutout to everyone else for moral support (except that dude that said my turbo could be blown, jk)
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

hawkeye93

Quote from: derfdog15 on March 08, 2017, 11:01:49 PM
Shoutout to everyone else for moral support (except that dude that said my turbo could be blown, jk)

Jeez, you try to be helpful...
2015 Ford Taurus SHO PP 12.219@112.84
PPE catless DP, Gearhead IC, SP-534, Reische 170, 3 bar, hybrid meth system, tunes from Unleashed, Livernois, Brew City Boost & AJP

1965 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 4V/T5Z/3.55
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan 272 4V/Fordomatic

ZSHO

Quote from: hawkeye93 on March 09, 2017, 06:43:12 AM
Quote from: derfdog15 on March 08, 2017, 11:01:49 PM

Jeez, you try to be helpful...
I would say at this juncture it could be anything but hopefully its that solenoid with its stinking wastegates but Its better than having your car Sabataj with brake fluid. LOL.  Z  :rofl2:

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

StealBlueSho

I feel this is adequate for this thread....

AJP turbo

Can u refresh me on where the vac lines go from the solenoid?..is it the vac line from the charge pipe goes in the solenoid and the 2 coming out go to each wastegate canister?
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

derfdog15

Spot on I believe. Line from each turbo goes into the solenoid, and then the chargepipe line goes on the other side. Solenoid controls the path between the chargepipe line and the wastegate lines.

I talked to 3 dealers, finally found one that has it (1Hr away). Part is on hold and my dad is going to pick it up. They confirmed that it should do the same thing on both turbos. So basically, one turbo is operating normal, and the other is on wastegate spring pressure currently. As such, it makes sense that I can get a bit above wastegate pressure but then it drops back to spring pressure.

Its a $25 part. Hoping that the issue is fixed. Seems so ass backwards that a $25 part can cause such a large issue, and without codes to boot, but if I get it fixed I'll be happy so we just gotta see what happens.

For anyone else that comes upon this: check this out (even though its for subarus primarily): https://cobbtuning.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200025234-Boost-Issue-Diagnosis

No codes, just low boost for a failing boost control solenoid (ford parts call it a "Turbocharger Bypass Valve"). I'll report back later and see if we can nail 16psi again.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

derfdog15

Solenoid fixed it. My testing method was incorrect, as the behavior I described is normal for the solenoid wth no power(new one did it as well) but car runs better for sure. Actually saw it hold boost and climb past 10psi. Gauge is probably a little low on indication since I left the TiAL bov reference connected but open on the other end while testing. I am going to put the vacuum lines back to stock and call it fixed. Going under the car in a few minutes to do my next oil change, so I'll make extra sure everything is proper at the turbos once more.

For now I'll just leave the stock charge piping and drive it as is. If I get time to go to a track again I'll swap to the epp stuff for that but according to the dealer the solenoid came from, stock bov operation is engineered as such to help with solenoid operation. May be a crock of s*** but for now it runs right so I'll leave it alone.

One day I'll do a custom front mount and atp turbos and run it all out, but seems I've reached the limits of what I should do with my DD and only car available currently.

Thanks for the help guys

SHOdded

Good news at last!  Do you think this is independent of the AJP mod?  Or should others be advised to keep a spare solenoid on hand as well?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

derfdog15

Quote from: SHOdded on March 09, 2017, 05:30:28 PM
Good news at last!  Do you think this is independent of the AJP mod?  Or should others be advised to keep a spare solenoid on hand as well?

It did it with both stock and non-stock pipes, in fact, after further testing, seems to still be messed up. Spoke to soon, due to seeing better boost but not perfect. Solenoid fixed some of the issue, still seems I have a wastegate issue OR a leak, but did a leak test and there were no leaks to be found.

So either a turbo is in fact bad, or a wastegate is bad. Replacing wastegates would be probably in the neighborhood of $200-$400 for parts. And if that doesn't fix it, then what?

Since the car drives fine in town, and on the highway to an extent, just doesnt pull super hard, I am just saying screw it and leaving it alone.

I can't imagine a shop would have much better luck, other than throwing parts at it, and whether those parts fix it or not, charging me for them.

I'll leave it alone, and save up for ATPs, and a custom front mount. Take it to the local fab shop, and have them install said ATPs and front mount, and ask them to double check all the connections.

As a last resort, I pulled the negative off of the battery. I'm leaving it like that overnight, incase there is a U or B code, or something, that is stored that I do not have access to via the SCT X4.

I may also just say screw it, and trade the SHO in for something once its payed off, but who knows. There is really nothing else I can figure out that would be the issue, short of throwing a lot of money at trial and error for parts. If it is infact a turbo (or the wastegates), then the ATPs will fix that. If it is infact the intercooler, custom front mount will fix that. Anything else, and who the hell knows.

derfdog15

Also thinking maybe somehow a MAP sensor is bad? Does that seem reasonable at all?

Worth testing with the 2bar tune?

Honestly considering putting the car completely back to stock, minus the axle backs, and doing some emissions drive cycles. Then taking it to an obscure dealer that hasn't seen the car, and having them diagnose. If it fixes by going to stock then one of the parts is the issue. If it doesnt, then the dealer can pay for a new turbo under warranty. No idea.

Frozen Blue

Before you get crazy, try doing a pressure test. Cap off both turbos and the throttle body inlet tube. On the cap for the throttle inlet tube drill/tap holes to take a compressed air nozzle and another to install a cheap pressure gauge. Pressurize the system to 20psi or so and see if it holds. You can source all of the necessary items from the hardware store for cheap. That will rule out all leaks period.
2013 SHO non-pp
3 bar Map, 160° tstat
Powerstop Z23 rotors/pads
LMS v10

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

StealBlueSho

Quote from: Frozen Blue on March 09, 2017, 07:49:18 PM
Before you get crazy, try doing a pressure test. Cap off both turbos and the throttle body inlet tube. On the cap for the throttle inlet tube drill/tap holes to take a compressed air nozzle and another to install a cheap pressure gauge. Pressurize the system to 20psi or so and see if it holds. You can source all of the necessary items from the hardware store for cheap. That will rule out all leaks period.

I think one of the forum members sent him a pressure test kit....

derfdog15

Quote from: StealBlueSho on March 09, 2017, 08:12:31 PM
Quote from: Frozen Blue on March 09, 2017, 07:49:18 PM

I think one of the forum members sent him a pressure test kit....

Yup, I got it today, and didn't find any issues with it. I went to ~15PSI using the 12V air compressor and no leaks to be found. So if there is a leak then I am both blind and deaf.

I really think a wastegate actuator is bad or something like that. But I dont want to throw more money at parts that might fix it. It should take ~ 1 day to take the car back fully stock. Then I just need to drive it a bit to get it emissions ready. After that just need to take it to a dealer and tell them it seems "low on power at higher RPMs". They'll say there are no codes, and I'll say it just seems like it isnt making boost based on owning another turbo car.

Go from there.

As of now, if the battery reset doesnt fix it, ill wait till may (my birthday, when my parents come back to visit since some of the parts are at their house) - put it back to stock, take it to a dealer.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: derfdog15 on March 09, 2017, 07:28:28 PM
Also thinking maybe somehow a MAP sensor is bad? Does that seem reasonable at all?

Worth testing with the 2bar tune?

Honestly considering putting the car completely back to stock, minus the axle backs, and doing some emissions drive cycles. Then taking it to an obscure dealer that hasn't seen the car, and having them diagnose. If it fixes by going to stock then one of the parts is the issue. If it doesnt, then the dealer can pay for a new turbo under warranty. No idea.

If going back to stock doesn't fix it, then I would do the above mentioned. Worst case is they say no, best case is they replace it. You would be no worse than you are now.