• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Vacuum/Boost Leak - Need HELP!

Started by derfdog15, March 06, 2017, 10:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derfdog15

Quote from: bpd1151 on March 06, 2017, 04:21:02 PM
Have you verified both of your BOV's are functioning as designed?

The symptoms you've described are nearly identical to my own experiences when (one of the two) OEM BOV's crapped out on me.

Worth an inspection at the least, as they're not that difficult to R&R.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'm running the Tial Q, no stock BOVs, but I am considering if maybe it is somehow faulty. I can't check it though without someone else to watch it or someone else to rev the car. I may swap back the OEM BOV portion of charge pipe to see if that fixes it.

Quote from: Frozen Blue on March 06, 2017, 04:26:18 PM
Did you mess with the lines that go to the EBC or to the turbo wastegates at all? Wastegate spring pressure is around 4-5psi IIRC.

I havent been under the hood since december when I installed the charge pipes and downpipes. Car was running fine till I got it to the track and made  a pass.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

Sabtaj1

Well.  You could always do the old brake clean trick. Start the car up and while idleing, start spraying around the hot side of the pipes until you hear the motor rev up and then you will find your leak. Just a thought.   Can't say I've never done it before. Lol
13 Eco flex.

Stainless works non cat DP/ MRT axle back/ Airaid cai/ 170 T-stat/ 3 bar map/ 1 step colder plugs/ snow stage 3/ hot pipes w/TIAL BOV/ torrie tuned-SCT/

Sabtaj1

Quote from: Sabtaj1 on March 06, 2017, 04:54:10 PM
Well.  You could always do the old brake clean trick. Start the car up and while idleing, start spraying around the hot side of the pipes until you hear the motor rev up and then you will find your leak. Just a thought.   Can't say I've never done it before. Lol

Never mind. Don't do it.  Just saw you have the hot pipes.  Not good on the paint.   LOL. 
13 Eco flex.

Stainless works non cat DP/ MRT axle back/ Airaid cai/ 170 T-stat/ 3 bar map/ 1 step colder plugs/ snow stage 3/ hot pipes w/TIAL BOV/ torrie tuned-SCT/

derfdog15

Quote from: Sabtaj1 on March 06, 2017, 04:56:25 PM
Quote from: Sabtaj1 on March 06, 2017, 04:54:10 PM

Never mind. Don't do it.  Just saw you have the hot pipes.  Not good on the paint.   LOL.

I did basically the same trick using soapy water. Should have seen it bubble if I found the leak, but to no avail.

At this point the two thoughts are either stuck/sticky BOV, or a loose connection near the turbos which I was unable to get to easily while checking.

I'm hoping it is simply a loose connection near the turbos, but if I have to go back to OEM pipes to fix it, I will. Rather have a car that performs and MAY burst a plastic pipe than have a car that cant make boost. Of course if thats the case, I'll figure out what needs to be fixed/replaced to make the EPP pipes work again and go back at it if possible.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

Colorado-SHOBro

just a thought here. . did you go up in elevation to the track where the issue occurred?
before Brad made some adjustments to my tune, if I drove up in elevation significant amount the turbos would max out and couldn't reach desired boost and ECU would default to the mechanical wastegate spring setting of four psi.

IIRC from looking at your logs you still had some room in your WGDC before your turbos are maxed but it might be something to check. do you have a log from your 12.5 pass? if so see how hard your turbos are working in that log.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

Sabtaj1

Ok.  Ps....  the soapy bubble thing isn't gonna work because it's sucking in the throttle body from the intake.  So it would just suck it into the motor.  That only works for air pushing out. Which it isn't gonna do unless your engine is under load and making boost.  Just FYI.  Where are you located??
13 Eco flex.

StealBlueSho

Sooo I had a similar issue, but it was when my vacuum line popped off charge pipe right next to where the front BOV is.

I would boost for a second, then it would just drop off...

SOUNDS like there is a vacuum line off somewhere... if it was a leak I would think your WGDC would be maxed out trying to achieve boost...

I would check all the vacuum lines, and yes, when the vacuum line pops off it sounds like air rushing out.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Sabtaj1 on March 06, 2017, 08:02:15 PM
Ok.  Ps....  the soapy bubble thing isn't gonna work because it's sucking in the throttle body from the intake.  So it would just suck it into the motor.  That only works for air pushing out. Which it isn't gonna do unless your engine is under load and making boost.  Just FYI.  Where are you located??
At least he will have shiny valves?

derfdog15

I can't find any lines that are off, i've checked a whole lot of times :/

Good to know on the soap, but yeah atleast it'll be clean ;)

I ran at the same track before without issues. DA was like 600? Very mild change in elevation but not much.

I'm currently in the midwest, Columbus, IN

Also the issue happened at the track and is persisting. So not just a track condition type of thing.

ZSHO

R there any codes set? just trying to help a fellow member out. 
(Check the Waste-gate Solenoid.) Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

derfdog15

I've checked for codes like 7 times, expecting one but none are set. The only code I have had set is for the air temp sensor on the CAI, because I forgot to plug it back in

I would expect a code with what it is doing but no luck :/

StealBlueSho

I re-read the post, didn't realize AJP noted your wastegate duty cycle was 90% and you were making 5psi.....

IIRC, with the wastegate on the charge pipe, if the springs fail for some reason, it can get stuck open.

Ideally, if you have someone to check with you, you could hold the brakes down hard and put a small load on the engine. This might provide you with enough boost leak noise to assist in pin pointing.

I would think with that much pressure loss you are looking at either the wastegate failure, or one of the charge pipes came loose from its coupler. It may not be visually obvious as when the car is off there is no pressure, so you may need to use the Braille method to feel for loose clamps or pipes on the back side of the engine.

ALSO, they do sell boost leak kits, you plug up the charge pipe and it has a schrader vale on one side... you add pressure with a pump until you hear the leak and locate it.

http://turboboostleaktesters.com

Keep us posted!!

ZSHO

Check to see if the TTurbocharger (Boost Solenoid)actuator is faulty,sticking  or if the connector came loose.  Z   9K378

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=StSqmNhGp52eEoz9txJjsg%3d%3d&id=410445064&m=2&search=true&year=2013&make=Ford&model=Taurus

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

derfdog15

I'm bankin on a loose chargepipe near the rear turbo. Sabtaj1 is kind enough to be sending out a homemade boost leak checking device. I checked all the lines in the area Z circled and didn't see any issues. Brad was also kind enough to send me an E20 tune for my mods but stock bov and no boost regulator so if I can't find anything I'll go to stock charge pipes and load that up and see.

StealBlueSho

Found a temp solution for you if one of the charge pipes has failed...

In all honesty, any luck?