• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Rear lateral link

Started by pmezo33, March 04, 2017, 03:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmezo33

Going through suspension parts while rotating the tires and noticed my driver side rear lateral link has some significant play at the ball joint and I'd like to replace it.  It's a dealer only part and it costs about $150 for a 10 mks with shipping.

http://www.tascaparts.com/lincoln/mks/8a5z5a972b/2010-year/ecoboost-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/rear-suspension-cat/rear-suspension-scat/?part_name=lateral-link

I found for the 13+ Taurus, they've got an updated part but for much cheaper.  Looks exactly the same to me.  Part number is very close minus the first four number/letters.  Would I be crazy to buy this part for 1/3 of the price?

http://www.tascaparts.com/lincoln/mks/de9z5a972b/2010-year/ecoboost-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/rear-suspension-cat/rear-suspension-scat/?part_name=link

ZSHO

Whats your build date?  Funny cause both have the same Callout name 5A972.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

pmezo33

Quote from: ZSHO on March 04, 2017, 05:35:07 PM
Whats your build date?  Z

Don't have a specific build date, but my parts are always "to 1/10/10". 

This cheaper link fits a lot of different builds.  The MKT ecoboost, Taurus, Flex, etc, but all 2013 and up.  I can't see how much different this part can be from the one specifically for my car.  It's an adjustable link.

ZSHO

Quote from: pmezo33 on March 04, 2017, 05:38:55 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on March 04, 2017, 05:35:07 PM
Whats your build date?  Z

Don't have a specific build date, but my parts are always "to 1/10/10". 

This cheaper link fits a lot of different builds.  The MKT ecoboost, Taurus, Flex, etc, but all 2013 and up.  I can't see how much different this part can be from the one specifically for my car.  It's an adjustable link.
I guess for 40.00 you can just order one and see if it fits and as mentioned above they do have the same callout name 5A972.  Z

[PDF Below].
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u3aNz_Uo3BWKp8gsZYLJKRUkD9Ziw_xwShgX85Jp9OziPRIN81ckWFVgikaBlwYvspZB-TccNmGMMd5L/view?usp=sharing

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

pmezo33

All i need is one.  The other side is fine.  I'll probably give it a shot. 

SHOdded

It is not uncommon to have the same physical part labeled with different numbers for different model lines and with different pricing.  Some Ford parts can also be found under Mazda parts listings, and for less cost.

Looks like the cheaper part IS the updated part.

Manufacturer: Ford
Part Number: 8A5Z-5A972-B
Part: Lateral Link Part
Notes: MKS. MKT. 3.7l. Without awd, 2009-12, to 09/19/2010.

Manufacturer: Ford
Part Number: DE9Z-5A972-B
Part: Lateral Link Part
Notes: MKT. Mid version, sel. Without awd, from 09/20/2010
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

pmezo33

So i've had the new part for about a week now, but have been too lazy to put it in.  Not really for the install, but having to get the alignment.  So i was backing out of my driveway last night and the rear end just drops and i hear scraping.  Figured I knew what the culprit was, so i put the car back in the garage for the morning.

Yeah, that ball joint has definitely seen better days.  It was completely disconnected.  The new (and cheaper) link fit perfectly.

SHOdded

:o Blame OEM quality for the breakdown LOL!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

pmezo33

130k miles out of that link.  Can't really complain too much.  At least the install was fairly easy. 

ZSHO

I'm Glad they fit and might as well do the other side or at least order the part before they raise the price's. Z  :)

Mustang5L5

So I stumbled across this thread while researching lateral links.

Found some slight play in one of mine, and went online to find a replacement for my '14 Taurus Limited

Two show up.  One for $150 and one for about $40

DE9Z-5A972-B has been discontinued and replaced with : DE9Z-5A972-C which is slightly different. The 2 piece welded bushing end is now a one piece cast end.

Still looks like it will work, so going to install.

-2014 Taurus Limited 3.5L FWD

802SHO

I took a crack at this and what happened to me I would dare say has never happened to anyone?  Driver side rear lateral link.  The nut holding th ball joint is 18mm.  The bolt to the lateral link is 15mm.  I jacked the car up, took my wheel off.  Tried to get the nut off the ball joint...just spun....took a long prybar, put leverage on it...tightened it and backed it out.  Ok good.  Bolt holding the other end in the frame....bought a 1/2 extension, got my impact on it...backed it out but it almost immediately started just flipping around(bolt).  Checked it..spinning freely..near 100%.  Thought it was loose...tried for nearly a couple hours to get it out ...nothing.  Went to store bought long needle nose pliers and long bendable magnet with a light.  After another hour..nothing...bolt not free but spins.....about to give up... Tried to tighten it and have someone else do it...cant tighten it either...just spins and the tiny bit of threads it did loosen are unchanged.  Still loose but not free.  What the heck?  Must be something in the other end of the bolt that's hurried inside the frame.  Get down there and shine that tiny magnet light into the hole...can see the end of the bolt...with just the socket and extension on the bolt head, I turn the bolt and watch .....there is a nut...sitting on the end of the bolt..spinning with the bolt...and it appears the nut is encased in a molded "slot" so that it doesn't move and you can thread the bolt...well my "slot" is now deformed and the nut moves freely with the bolt and is now not a square nut, its stripped.  Looking on Tasca there isnt even a part number for that nut attached inside the frame.  4 hours elapsed time...as I slent another hour trying to wedge a flat head screw driver into the "slot" to stop the nut from spinning with the bolt.  Couple things come to mind......no matter what I do moving forward...how can I repair that "slot" for the nut and even replace the nut inside of it?  I think that but is unserviceable and my only option moving forward is an alternative option.  Trying not to over think this.  I just need a bolt and nut holding the link in...very very simple.  I need the inside of the frame "slot" removed at this point.  I am thinking but notching another hole in the frame or making one of the various tiny openings larger...but I need enough room to get a sazall in there to lop the end of that "slot" off so I can remove the leftover bolt and nut...and simply install my new lateral link and manually hold a nut on the end of it inside the frame and get a socket on it to tighten.  Until I get this sorted out my SHO is not going anywhere.  Pics for reference.  You'll see the backside of the inside of the frame and the "slot" I'll label that picture T at the top so you look at it properly...i posted it before and it posted upside down.  I ended up cutting the bolt just after the nut to remove the lateral link and some of the bolt.  The bolt is covered in red loctite.   
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

ZSHO

Those are indeed new updated parts/part numbers with updated Bolts and Bore depending on your Build date! Need to make sure you get the correct bolt.

Need to add a (sleeve) inside the bore to prevent the Bolt from turning!

Don't have access to FSM until Monday!  :( Im just TOL! Z 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IdtOKyVO_NQ5I6NIWSU2UvI18D894Sur/view?usp=drivesdk

https://youtu.be/QcAkCdyDdKQ

shoNoff

As I told you buddy I'm thinking a small window into the frame is your only option. It's hard to say without seeing it. If that doesn't work I have a Remington 870 tactical you can borrow.
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

802SHO

Oh boy there's going to be sparks flying!  One well deserved peekaboo hole coming up!
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20