• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Aftermarket trans cooler (not the ford PP installed cooler)??

Started by jimmyducati, March 02, 2017, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyducati

Has anyone done this yet? I know BPD has retrofitted the PP unit on his car and has had a lot of success with it, but I have Active Cruse Control and that trans cooler will not fit with the radar in the bumper.. Im having the trans rebuilt and would like to have a trans cooler installed while its in the shop, just don't know where to plumb it in or where to mount it safely.

Ideas?
2010 White SHO w/two tone interior
2005 Ducati 999s  (the daily ridder)
1998 Ducati 916  (the beauty queen)
1995 Ducati 900ss (the track terror)
1978 Harley Davidson Shovelhead

bamsho

Might want to check out the "how to section".  I pretty sure someone had a write up on installing trans cooler with cars with ACC.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

FearlessAZ

2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)

Gray Brick

I added the factory trans cooler on my Flex.
Cut and spliced the lines... very easy.

I do wish I would have added a better cooler for better cooling though.
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---

jimmyducati

Quote from: Gray Brick on March 02, 2017, 03:27:47 PM
I added the factory trans cooler on my Flex.
Cut and spliced the lines... very easy.

I do wish I would have added a better cooler for better cooling though.

Do you have a particular cooler in mind? If there is a better suited cooler out there id rather go with it than the factory unit... probably cheaper to.

Gray Brick

I am currently looking for the largest one I can fit to replace the factory one.

I will let you know what I find.
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---

polskifacet

factory cooler fits perfectly, bumper support has notches in it etc and it pops right in. I am not sure if this is true pre 2013. I would also strongly advise to get stainless fittings as bass can crack from multiple heat and cool cycles. I got mine from mcmaster.

Link to my How-to
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

jimmyducati

found a factory cooler on eBay for cheap, ill find out if it fits pre 2013!

jimmyducati

Just installed the factory aux cooler on my '10 SHO non pp. I don't know what everyone else did on the newer SHO to physically mount the cooler to the bumper support, but my easy solution was to remove the drivers side bracket from the cooler and use the tab on the end to attach it to the threaded stud that secures (and adjusts) the ACC radar. I then used a jam nut to tighten the cooler to the ACC radar bracket and drilled a hole on the underside of the bumper support for the passenger side cooler bracket. No cutting brackets needed. There were no provisions on the bottom of the bumper support to mount the cooler at all, no predrilled holes on the passenger side. Routing of the new hose was the same as previously mentioned

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: jimmyducati on June 04, 2017, 02:34:07 PM
Just installed the factory aux cooler on my '10 SHO non pp. I don't know what everyone else did on the newer SHO to physically mount the cooler to the bumper support, but my easy solution was to remove the drivers side bracket from the cooler and use the tab on the end to attach it to the threaded stud that secures (and adjusts) the ACC radar. I then used a jam nut to tighten the cooler to the ACC radar bracket and drilled a hole on the underside of the bumper support for the passenger side cooler bracket. No cutting brackets needed. There were no provisions on the bottom of the bumper support to mount the cooler at all, no predrilled holes on the passenger side. Routing of the new hose was the same as previously mentioned
this is exactly what i had to do on my 11'. glad to hear i wasn't the only one that had that experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

jimmyducati

After looking at the underside of the core support, this was the best option. I have limited "fabrication" skills/tools to modify the existing bracket that comes with the cooler. This almost centers the cooler left to right and it is pretty damn level as well. Haven't driven it yet, wanted to do some troubleshooting with my meth system that has yet to work correctly since it was installed. Will be taking the lady to dinner tonight, so ill do some logging to monitor the trans temps. Will get a bit of highway and city stop and go driving to compare the temps.

Do I need to exchange the trans thermostat out to get any advantage to this? My thought is that if the thermostat locks out the cooler(s) until the trans fluid is up to 200' or what ever it is set to, the cooler is pointless without going to a lower temp thermostat? I plan on doing that as well, but I am working for the next 7 days and won't get a chance to do it till I'm off hitch.

SHOdded, Trans was rebuilt at a local shop that was highly recommended. It took a couple return trips to get the 1-2 hard downshift ironed out but it seems to be getting along fine now. It is on its 3rd valve body to solve that particular problem.

SHOdded

The TStat mod allows trans fluid to flow through the cooler sooner, so you could say it helps in preventing heat buildup by getting on the case earlier.  Just like the coolant TStat except that cooling is actually fan assisted.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!