• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

First oil change

Started by Brucelinc, February 24, 2017, 12:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brucelinc

For those not familiar with the 2.7/3.0 "Nano" engine family, the oil change is a bit different than we are accustomed to with the ecoboost engines. The bottom of the car is covered with a felt-like material and only key things like the drain plug are exposed without removing a number of screws. It is not as easy as removing the belly pan on an SHO or MKS so I left the felt cover in place since there is a cut-out for the drain plug. By the way the PTU also has a drain plug and appears to be water cooled like the police interceptor - although visibility and access to it is difficult at best.

The drain plug on the oil pan is a plastic affair that can be removed with your fingers - not the usual metal plug. It is similar to the plug on the valve cover where oil is added and an O-ring is the primary seal. It only turns about 2/3 of one turn. The oil filter is in a canister on top of the engine and unless you know what you are looking for, you would never know it contained an oil filter. At first, I thought this arrangement might be messy but when I unscrewed the canister, not a drop of oil was lost since all of the oil just drains into the engine after shutting off the engine. It is nice to be able to examine the actual filter after removal without needing to cut through a metal case.

Between my past life working at a Ford dealership and owning a fair number of different cars, I have changed the oil on hundreds of different vehicles over the years. However, if I hadn't done a bit of research first, I would have been scratching my head on this one.

AJP turbo

Bruce let the oil drain for at least 15 minutes...and after you fill the oil start it then shut off and wait 15-20 or even 30 minutes to check the oil....im guessing all 2.7 and 3.0 engines are the same....it really takes that long to check and drain the oil
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Brucelinc

Quote from: AJP turbo on February 24, 2017, 12:27:20 PM
Bruce let the oil drain for at least 15 minutes...and after you fill the oil start it then shut off and wait 15-20 or even 30 minutes to check the oil....im guessing all 2.7 and 3.0 engines are the same....it really takes that long to check and drain the oil

Good tip....and you are absolutely correct.  I read about that on a Fusion Sport site before I did my oil change. 

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOdded

What oil & filter did you use btw, Bruce?  How did the oil look coming out?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Brucelinc

The car only had 1500 miles on it but we are driving it to Texas next week to visit some family and I wanted fresh oil in it prior to a 4000 mile round trip.  I used the Motorcraft fl2062 filter and just Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w30 this time.

Before I take the car to the track in May, I  will change over to full synthetic.  Not sure what brand but I have aways used Mobil 1.  I would sure like to have a tune by then, too.  Running the quarter when stock would be about as exciting as kissing my sister.

Oil was not very dark yet but the filter appeared to have tiny metallic particles in it - likely from the manufacturing process.

AJP turbo

Quote from: Brucelinc on February 24, 2017, 02:18:18 PM
Running the quarter when stock would be about as exciting as kissing my sister.

Is your sister hot?...anyway....i bet within 2 weeks the things i told you about are sorted...but it would be nice no matter what tune you have to flash back to stock for a run just to see what she does and to see the improvement
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Brucelinc

Quote from: AJP turbo on February 24, 2017, 02:31:23 PM
Quote from: Brucelinc on February 24, 2017, 02:18:18 PM
Running the quarter when stock would be about as exciting as kissing my sister.

Is your sister hot?...anyway....i bet within 2 weeks the things i told you about are sorted...but it would be nice no matter what tune you have to flash back to stock for a run just to see what she does and to see the improvement

She has a great personality and is very smart.  She loves animals and likes to take long walks by the beach....but anyway......I hope the things we discussed do get sorted out.  Not a bad idea to do a stock run once. either.  Based on my Aeroforce gauge and a quick trip to Mexico, it is a 13.4 second car stock.   The transmission behavior is much improved since it was brand new.  There is still plenty of torque management for sure but the shifts are quicker and firmer than they were at first.   

bpd1151

Bruce.....

I'm fairly confident that your reply was read by AJP as blah blah blah blah.

I think he was hoping you'd post a pic of your sis for him. Lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

StealBlueSho

I didn't know about the wait 15-30 minutes to check oil... good info!!

If Brad is looking for a side chick... I heard Mama June lost some weight and is on the prowl...

polskifacet

Quote from: Brucelinc on February 24, 2017, 12:10:41 PM
The drain plug on the oil pan is a plastic affair that can be removed with your fingers - not the usual metal plug. It is similar to the plug on the valve cover where oil is added and an O-ring is the primary seal. It only turns about 2/3 of one turn.
Hmm makes alot of sense since there is no pressure there, probably more error in killing the threads on a metal one than 2/3 turn of a plastic plug.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs