• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Help!

Started by Usmcsho, February 17, 2017, 10:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Usmcsho

What's the best way to get four wires through the firewall from the passenger compartment?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2011 Platinum Tricoat Metallic nav, BLIS, backup camera, moonroof, Sony Premium Sound. LIvernois Stage 1 with 3 bar map sensor coming soon

derfdog15

Quote from: Usmcsho on February 17, 2017, 10:41:55 AM
What's the best way to get four wires through the firewall from the passenger compartment?

There is supposedly a grommet behind the glovebox but I couldn't find it (and it may be specific to PI models)

There IS a grommet under the windshield wiper cowl, that is where the wires into the car for ECU etc. run. It drops to right at the drivers side third pedal/rest pedal location. You have to remove the windshield wipers (need a special wiper arm removal tool), and then put a small slit/hole into the grommet and drop your wires from there. It is a bit of a pain. Afterwards you need to seal the grommet up with some RTV or similar.

Your other option is to drill a hole and place your own grommet. This is by far the easiest, but requires a hole to be drilled. if doing this, make sure that the hole will not interfere with anything there already (specifically that you will not drill into something you should not)

After that you'll be all set.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

Usmcsho

Quote from: derfdog15 on February 17, 2017, 10:49:54 AM

There is supposedly a grommet behind the glovebox but I couldn't find it (and it may be specific to PI models)

There IS a grommet under the windshield wiper cowl, that is where the wires into the car for ECU etc. run. It drops to right at the drivers side third pedal/rest pedal location. You have to remove the windshield wipers (need a special wiper arm removal tool), and then put a small slit/hole into the grommet and drop your wires from there. It is a bit of a pain. Afterwards you need to seal the grommet up with some RTV or similar.

Your other option is to drill a hole and place your own grommet. This is by far the easiest, but requires a hole to be drilled. if doing this, make sure that the hole will not interfere with anything there already (specifically that you will not drill into something you should not)

Thanks!!!

2011 Platinum Tricoat Metallic nav, BLIS, backup camera, moonroof, Sony Premium Sound. LIvernois Stage 1 with 3 bar map sensor coming soon

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

derfdog15

Only thing I would add to above, is if you are feeling lazy, it is possible to run the wire into the car without removing the kick panel inside. That is how I did mine. Then again, I feel it would have been 3x faster if I had removed the kick panel.

What do you need to run wire(s) for?

For Power/Ground you can tap the 12V ACC/cigarette lighter plug, its kinda a pain to open the dash up, but its an easy power source, just add a fuse and you are golden.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

Usmcsho

Quote from: derfdog15 on February 17, 2017, 11:54:20 AM
Only thing I would add to above, is if you are feeling lazy, it is possible to run the wire into the car without removing the kick panel inside. That is how I did mine. Then again, I feel it would have been 3x faster if I had removed the kick panel.

What do you need to run wire(s) for?

For Power/Ground you can tap the 12V ACC/cigarette lighter plug, its kinda a pain to open the dash up, but its an easy power source, just add a fuse and you are golden.
It's for my compressors for air ride

Scott4957

I would add to this, no need to drill that hole to get to the pass through that the harness goes through. If you look in the bottom right corner of the first pic you will see an oval black rubber plug. Its actually a pass through. Just push a screw driver down through it and you will see what I mean, you don't have to cut it or anything. I used a fiberglass fish kit "stick" to go down through it, the end is open just looks closed because it seals, kind of pinched shut. that goes right into the engine bay. Then use the pole to pull your wire back up into that cavity and then cut your hole to push your wire through the main pass through. If you just poke a hole and force the wire though it will seal around it.

Quote from: SHOdded on February 17, 2017, 11:09:42 AM
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6330.msg98535.html#msg98535

QuoteThis is what I used to remove the wiper arm. It's about $5
2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned

glock-coma

Quote from: derfdog15 on February 17, 2017, 10:49:54 AM

This is what I did when I ran my 4 gauge power wire.
Put the slit close to the top.
As long as you seal it up good you'll be fine. It's been about a year and no leaks. Many car washes and heavy downpours.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHOdded

Perhaps redundant,  but I would like to thank glock for those posting those pics in the first place.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

glock-coma

Not sure I would poke a hole in that plug on the bottom right even though it's a pass through.
That's a low spot where water will gather before if goes down the inside fender well drain.
That's just asking for trouble, especially not sealing it.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)