• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Ford / Motorcraft Revised Front Sway Bar End Links (Pics)

Started by metroplex, February 19, 2017, 01:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metroplex

That's what I ended up buying, but they are very overpriced. Also, I have  no idea why Chip opted for 12mm endlinks with bushings to fit the 14mm holes when THK males 14mm endlinks. I haven't had time to install them because the weather hasn't cooperated.
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

kpad09

Quote from: joe raptor on March 22, 2017, 10:49:32 AM
Why not upgrade the links for the POWERGRID ones ??!! that's what I have now on the SHO and you will feel a big difference !!!!

What are these power grid ones? Went looking on their website
and couldn't find one for a 2010+?
2014 Taurus SHO non PP, 3Bar Map, 6510 NGK's gapped to .30, 170 degree thermo

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

metroplex

Bought and installed the Powergrids, felt minimal improvement, and sold the SHO eventually. BTW the new endlinks never solved the weird rubbing sound in the morning.

But my new 2018 Explorer does something similar when steering away in the morning or after a cold start. There's a rubbing/clunk sound and then I never heard it for the rest of the drive. My Fusion Sport doesn't do it, so it must be D3/D4 related and doesn't affect CD4.

Digression:
BTW the Fusion Sport is a POS, IMHO, compared to the SHO. A lot of SHO "experts" seemed to think otherwise on the Fusion Sport forums, but the Fusion Sport understeers/plows like a pig while my SHO had more of a tendency to over-rotate when pushed hard before encountering understeer. I checked some of the timeslips for tuned FSports and they're in the high 12s, while the SHO's can easily do low 12s with tune-only. The only benefit/advantage of the Fusion Sport is that its platform is shinier and newer with more updated interior layout/design that is really aimed at Europe/Global markets. I'll take D3/D4 over CD4 any day of the week. Ford is going to CD6 for 2020-up Explorer and 2021-up Mustang, so it is a RWD platform with AWD capability, and accepts the 10-speed automatic. It's likely to be used for the next Edge and Fusion as well, although they canceled the re-design for the Fusion.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

griggs95

Quote from: metroplex on February 25, 2018, 01:30:26 PM
Bought and installed the Powergrids, felt minimal improvement, and sold the SHO eventually. BTW the new endlinks never solved the weird rubbing sound in the morning.

But my new 2018 Explorer does something similar when steering away in the morning or after a cold start. There's a rubbing/clunk sound and then I never heard it for the rest of the drive. My Fusion Sport doesn't do it, so it must be D3/D4 related and doesn't affect CD4.

Digression:
BTW the Fusion Sport is a POS, IMHO, compared to the SHO. A lot of SHO "experts" seemed to think otherwise on the Fusion Sport forums, but the Fusion Sport understeers/plows like a pig while my SHO had more of a tendency to over-rotate when pushed hard before encountering understeer. I checked some of the timeslips for tuned FSports and they're in the high 12s, while the SHO's can easily do low 12s with tune-only. The only benefit/advantage of the Fusion Sport is that its platform is shinier and newer with more updated interior layout/design that is really aimed at Europe/Global markets. I'll take D3/D4 over CD4 any day of the week. Ford is going to CD6 for 2020-up Explorer and 2021-up Mustang, so it is a RWD platform with AWD capability, and accepts the 10-speed automatic. It's likely to be used for the next Edge and Fusion as well, although they canceled the re-design for the Fusion.

Thanks for the comparison of the two vehicles!

To me, the idea of a 10 speed is just asking for too many problems and overkill to boot. I think a double over-drive 6th gear for many cars today is still a good idea to get the highway fuel economy desired. The Fiesta ST is a good example of that since I had one. It got 35 mpg highway at 65 at 2700 rpm. Double over-drive 6th would've put it over 40 mpg at around 2100 rpm. 10 speed tranny in these new cars ludicrous imo. Waaaay too much shifting going on.
2011 pp: lms 91 tune - ppe downs w/ kitties - Amsoiled myself all around - gapped 30 sp plugs - enthused driver, nervous passengers - aem drop in dry filter.

metroplex

The 10-speed is going to be the same joint-venture GM/Ford 10-speed that is used on the ZL1, 2018 F-series, 2018-up Mustang GT, etc... The Chevy version shifts faster than the McLaren's automated manual. I heard the Mustang GT's 10-speed auto (the interweb users seem to refer to it as the A10) has some quirky delays with the stock tune. But so far that thing has been a beast in terms of handling high amounts of torque/abuse without any issues. Going to this 10-speed and RWD system means the "AWD" SUVs/cars may get a much better transfer case instead of the mediocre PTU unit with 4 oz of gear oil that gets cooked, and possibly better fuel economy by disconnecting the front axles completely. We have a viscous coupling RDU that I suspect still robs quite a bit of power even with no power going to the back wheels due to the mass of the driveshaft and viscosity of the coupler fluid.

On a side note, my SHO came with 255/45R19 tires (on 19x8.5 wheels) and I was able to install 275/45R19s last year without any issues. Those tires were beasts. Superb lateral grip, awesome ride quality, and they were so wide that most of the small potholes didn't even register. The Fusion Sport has 235/40R19 tires that pop in the slightest bump, and there's not enough room to go with a thicker tire due to the spring perch clearance on the strut. I lost 2 tires already this season! I see that they have an Edge ST coming out that will have the same problem wit ultra thin tires. The 2020 Explorer will have a ST trim as well, so I will definitely not get that. The problem is that they load the Sport/ST trims with the best tires for the Autobahn or Nurburgring. When I complained to Ford, they said they designed cars for all kinds of roads and not just Southeast Michigan. Uh, what? We have some of the worst roads here especially this winter, with potholes that are waist-deep (literally, not making this up) or 3 feet wide on the freeway. Several roads had a line of 15+ cars all with busted wheels/tires lined up on the shoulder. I'll gladly sacrifice a few G's of lateral grip for better durability on rough roads.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph