• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Ford / Motorcraft Revised Front Sway Bar End Links (Pics)

Started by metroplex, February 19, 2017, 01:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metroplex

Rather than piggy back this onto the other threads, I wanted to create a new thread discussing the front sway bar end links for the Taurus / SHO. It looks like the factory links on my 2014 SHO are the MEF-162 (2010 part number) with the full plastic cap for the joints. The Ford parts catalog now shows new part numbers for the 2010-2017 SHO:

GG1Z-5K483-A (MEF-353) Left
GG1Z-5K484-A (MEF-352) Right

MEF-353 also shows up as an upper ball joint for old pickup trucks. This is the first time I've seen a possible re-use for a Ford part number, or perhaps its just a description error. But Rockauto doesn't list MEF-353 for the Taurus.

As you can see in the photographs, my bent/snapped link is the older design with a thinner/shorter joint design and the plastic bearing cap. The revised 2016 part is Made in Japan with a different bearing cap design and the joint is a longer/thicker design. I think I'm going to give the revised parts a try. The fact they revised it suggests they probably knew about the issues with the old design, kind of like the recalled fuel pump control module that was then quietly revised again.

Does anyone know why we have different Left/Right front endlinks? Is it the length or the angle between the 2 joints?

The last time I observed Ford produce revised front endlinks was on my 2007 Mustang GT. The stock links were very much like these revised links, but the Mustang's revised links are the current 07-14 GT500 front endlinks (all aluminum with THK joints) that look like longer versions of our stock rear links.
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

pmezo33

I've got both the updated front end links for my 10 MKS somewhere in my garage.  I've been meaning to put them in, but never got around to it.  You're correct that they are two different parts for the left and right, but not exactly sure why.  They look exactly the same from what i can remember.  I'd guess the angle is slightly different, but other than that, not exactly sure why they're two different parts.  I can get them out and compare them if that helps. 

pmezo33

Left front end link (GG1Z-5K483-A)   on the left and right front end link (GG1Z-5K484-A) on the right.  Angle is different.

ZSHO

Quote from: pmezo33 on February 19, 2017, 01:40:37 PM
Left front end link (GG1Z-5K483-A)   on the left and right front end link (GG1Z-5K484-A) on the right.  Angle is different.
It seems they improved the overall quality of the end links. :)
The passenger side suspension has always been a bit more expensive AFAIK. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

metroplex

What's that on the end of the joints for the Japanese end links? Just 6 plastic dots/circles?

ZSHO: They're like $8-$10 each, about the same price for either side.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

ZSHO

Quote from: metroplex on February 19, 2017, 02:55:47 PM
What's that on the end of the joints for the Japanese end links? Just 6 plastic dots/circles?

My bad a few cents more per side,anyways great overall informed discussion. Z
http://www.tascaparts.com/auto-parts/2013/ford/taurus/sho-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/front-suspension-cat/stabilizer-bar-and-components-scat

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

pmezo33

Quote from: metroplex on February 19, 2017, 02:55:47 PM

Yeah, they're just plastic circles.  Not exactly sure what the point of that design is.  Maybe they add a couple horsepower.

metroplex

I wish Ford would just switch to the THK endlinks for the fronts, or maybe have a chat with their chassis engineer to learn more about why they did this. I also wonder who the Japanese manufacturer is for these endlinks.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

pmezo33

This thread motivated me to finally do my end links and it looks like they needed a change.  Job was pretty simple.  Bottom nut was a little tedious because of how little space you have to play with, but not that big of a deal. Here's basically how to do it.

Loosen the bottom nut first with a 21 mm long wrench.  The space is tight to get in there, but you can just above the control arm.  Once the bolt is initially loosened, the ball joint will spin with the nut.  Just hold the end of the bolt with the 10 mm wrench while you loosen the bolt with the 21 mm wrench.  There's not much space so they'll be small turns at a time.

The top bolt is much easier.  Hit it with my impact and it was off in 2 seconds.  There's a lot more room up top if you don't have an impact and just use a regular socket wrench.  Didn't even have to use the 10 mm up top.  It just popped right off.

When you've got the bolts off, just remove the end link and put the new one on.  Do the process in reverse.  I torqued the top bolt to spec (111 ft/lbs) and the bottom one as tight as i could get it.  No way you're torquing it unless you remove the control arm and i wasn't doing that.  Just did it as tight as i possibly could. 

Here's the old end link and the new one with my trusty assistant in the background.  The boot was completely ripped on the old one.

68_GT

did you change the end links with the car jacked up and the wheels hanging (removed) ? both at the same time or individually ??
does it matter ?
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

pmezo33

Quote from: 68_GT on February 22, 2017, 01:23:02 PM
did you change the end links with the car jacked up and the wheels hanging (removed) ? both at the same time or individually ??
does it matter ?

Had the whole front end elevated and on jack stands. 

68_GT

2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

glock-coma

Quote from: 68_GT on February 27, 2017, 02:55:18 PM
ok so wheels hanging right ?
I had the wheels hanging when I did mine. It did not put more stress on the link.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

pmezo33

Car elevated and wheels hanging.  The links are very easy to remove and put back in once the bolts are removed like this.

joe raptor

Why not upgrade the links for the POWERGRID ones ??!! that's what I have now on the SHO and you will feel a big difference !!!!