• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Turbocharger - Oil in compressor outlet

Started by metroplex, February 21, 2017, 03:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metroplex

After noticing the oil weepage on the outside of the rear charge pipe hose, it got me thinking about how often this occurs on the EcoBoost.

Has anyone else pulled their rear charge pipe and observed some oil at the compressor outlet or inside the charge pipe? How about the front compressor outlet?

Did you run a crankcase vent breather or did you keep the stock breather tube?
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

ZSHO

The last time i checked the rear charge pipe was last winter when i swapped them out for the Hotpipes from EPP and there was no evidence of any such oil but found a very small amount towards the front pipe which AFAIK is normal. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

metroplex

I pulled the front outlet hose and it had a nice film of oil on the inside of the hose as well as the outlet housing. I suppose the rear turbo has the outlet aimed up, so more oil could possibly pool in that area over time. But in any case, I felt there was more oil in the rear outlet than in the front. The hard plastic charge pipe coming from the rear turbo to the front was also coated in oil on the inside.

So your rear charge pipe and turbo outlet was completely dry?

Are you running a crankcase breather filter or just the stock tube?

Garrett's website said that compressor seal leakage could be from improper crankcase pressure or an air filter restriction. I swapped back the stock crankcase breather tube (cleanside) because the few drops of oil from the crankcase doesn't really matter. I also see you are running an Airaid CAI. I wonder if the Airaid might be less restrictive.
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

ZSHO

Quote from: metroplex on February 21, 2017, 06:07:52 PM
I pulled the front outlet hose and it had a nice film of oil on the inside of the hose as well as the outlet housing. I suppose the rear turbo has the outlet aimed up, so more oil could possibly pool in that area over time. But in any case, I felt there was more oil in the rear outlet than in the front. The hard plastic charge pipe coming from the rear turbo to the front was also coated in oil on the inside.

So your rear charge pipe and turbo outlet was completely dry?

Are you running a crankcase breather filter or just the stock tube?

Garrett's website said that compressor seal leakage could be from improper crankcase pressure or an air filter restriction. I swapped back the stock crankcase breather tube (cleanside) because the few drops of oil from the crankcase doesn't really matter. I also see you are running an Airaid CAI. I wonder if the Airaid might be less restrictive.
Correct,the rear charge pipe was completely bone dry as mentioned above.
I removed my front clean side oil separator as minimum oil was evident.
I would try using a full synthetic oil with a MC oil filter to see if your issues still persist IMO.
Do you have an extended warranty? Best of luck to ya.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|