• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Tire Suggestions?

Started by sholxgt, August 17, 2016, 06:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sholxgt

Help me pick a tire!

Right now I have the factory Michelin's.  3 are about 2/3 done and 1 is done.  The 3 probably have 8,000 or so miles left and are not down to the tread wear indicators.  My ultimate plan is to buy new wheels and move to 255/45-20's when that time comes.  Finances don't allow me to purchase wheels right now, so I'm looking to buy 2 tires to see if I can stretch out the time a bit till I buy aftermarket wheels.

Worse case is I'll buy the other two matching tires later and install them on the stock wheels as well.  To go along with the tire purchase, I will apparently need an alignment since I have one tire that is worn considerably more than the others and near bald on the inside edge.

So...what tires should I buy?  I'm generally anal about matching tires, but the factory Michelin's are just over priced in my opinion as mine are pretty worn at 30,000 miles.  Looking strictly for a performance all season as we do get small amounts of winter weather.  Not enough to justify two sets of wheels/tires.

I am considering these and wonder if anyone on here has opinions.  Feel free to mention others as well.

Uniroyal Tire Paw GTZ - never thought I'd consider Tiger Paws after having them on my 1996 Chevy Truck, but these are completely different.  They are also the lowest cost option and appear to be made in the US.

General G-Max AS-03 - decent reviews and look to be a decent option.  More money than the GTZ's and possibly noisier?

BFG G-Force Comp 2 A/S - reports are they are too noisy so probably not what I'm looking for

Cooper Zeon RS3-A - I was pretty set on this idea until I saw they are likely made in China?

Right now I'm leaning toward trying the Tiger Paws, but wondered what everyone else found for a decent all season tire in 245/45-20 that doesn't break the bank.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

limited02

I'd buy a 255/45/20 right now as they are cheaper than the 245's when I was looking.  I recently purchased the 255/45/20 Sumitomos and they are AWESOME!!!  Car rides so much smoother compared to the factory 245/45/20 Michelins that were on it.  So far they do great in the rain and are smooth.  The only complaint I have is they are louder than the factory tires.  However, the ride improvement alone was worth it.  I'll know how they do this winter when it hits and I'm sure they'll do great.

http://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireDetailsServlet?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+A%2FS+P02+%28W-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=545WR0HTRASP02XL

ZSHO

The only reason i would recommend these tires is because they really performed well on my BIMMER and without having to break the bank and proudly made in the USA. NITTO http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?ra=filterTireProducts.do&fl=&yr=2013&pc=40629&counter=0&ar=45&rd=20&vid=022581&cs=245  ALSO heard good things about Falken if your on a budget and think their made in Japan.  http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?ra=filterTireProducts.do&fl=&yr=2013&pc=26701&counter=0&ar=45&rd=20&vid=022581&cs=245

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

glock-coma

I've had the 255/45/20 general gmax installed for about 10 months now and love them.  Great snow and wet traction, all around I would recommend them. a little more noisy than the stock Michelins due to the tread pattern, but they are a directional tire so keep that in mind.

You need to keep the pressure a little on the high side due to the softer sidewall. They're rated for up to 50 psi for maximum weight capacity.
But I usually keep them around 38-39 for best fuel economy/ride.

I think next time I buy tires I'm going to try the continental dws. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

CroR1

If you are looking at the all season, I would suggest Conti DWS, hands down, good tires, quite, inexpensive to some extent (wait for them to kick out a rebate). some would argue second to Michelin's.

sholxgt

Thanks all for the suggestions!  I will do some more research, but I'm liking the Falken, Tiger Paws, and G-Max.  DWS's aren't in my price range this go around.  I like the price of the Sumitomo's!

I feel strange shopping for a practical tire.  I have Nitto drag radials on my fox body. Had Falken Azenis autocross tires on a Sentra specV (back when there was just one Azenis).

Somehow I see me ordering wheels, lug nut kit, tpms sensors, and 4 tires before I'm done with my research.  I better pick a tire and buy two quickly before I turn this into a project.  LOL
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

sholxgt

Here's the wheels I've been eyeing...

Hard to come up with a wheel that's not too sporty and goes with my strange off white color.  Whatcha' think about that one for an MKS?  It comes in a 20x9 with 35mm offset and is reported to weigh 26 lbs.  Should drop at least 5 pounds per corner and be an inch wider.

SHOdded

Like the wheel!  The Pirelli Cinturato P7 is another tire that should be in play, alongside the GMax.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Vortech347

I have the Uniroyal's on my car, the dealer I purchased it from put them on.  I've put about 14k on them so far and to be honest for the cost I'm very impressed.  I REALLY have to push the car and drive like a jackass to get any slip or audible noise from them. They are also very quiet.

I should be able to knock out 25k+ easy.  Which for me is a ton on a car with my cornering style. 

The Motivo is a great tire too.  It's what I would run on my old Marauder, fronts would get about 25k, rear's about half that.

I know someone said they like Summitomos but in the mustang world they are hated, they wear like iron, have s*** for grip, and any car with decent power would just blow them off first 3 gears. 
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

limited02

Quote from: Vortech347 on August 18, 2016, 01:20:43 PM
I have the Uniroyal's on my car, the dealer I purchased it from put them on.  I've put about 14k on them so far and to be honest for the cost I'm very impressed.  I REALLY have to push the car and drive like a jackass to get any slip or audible noise from them. They are also very quiet.

I should be able to knock out 25k+ easy.  Which for me is a ton on a car with my cornering style. 

The Motivo is a great tire too.  It's what I would run on my old Marauder, fronts would get about 25k, rear's about half that.

I know someone said they like Summitomos but in the mustang world they are hated, they wear like iron, have s*** for grip, and any car with decent power would just blow them off first 3 gears.

Sounds like a good tire for the SHO/MKS!  I had Summitomos on my '89 Fox and it was easy to spin them through 1st and 2nd (3.73/Detroit locker).  However, on my MKS I cannot break them loose and they have done a great job in the rain and ride.  Only compliant as I mentioned is they are a little noisy, but nothing terrible.  Very good tire for the money.

avidmotion

I may be late to the party but these tires are hands down the best tires I have ever used on a daily driver and I have tried quite and assortment in 35 yrs. Cooper zeon RS3 g1 stock size . I have run these for 35,000 miles hard on my G8Gt, with 25 runs at the track and still had more then half tread. I do rotate even 6,000 miles and keep 3 psi mire then stock all the time. My friends Mustang GT club recommends them and nearly the whole club ran them. My G8 GT ran 12.50@110 with bolt ons. I could floor the car in any rain, go hard into turn and then smash to floor and they would grab and go. They rode comfortable,  weren't loud, did fair in snow with two wheel rear drive and lasts forever, rode smooth and comfy. To me they were inexpensive compared to other brands like Michelin sports ps2 or BFG COMPS or continental extremes. None could hold a candle to these tires. I wish I had stock in them or sold them myself, they really that GREAT!
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: avidmotion on January 30, 2017, 12:26:19 AM
I may be late to the party but these tires are hands down the best tires I have ever used on a daily driver and I have tried quite and assortment in 35 yrs. Cooper zeon RS3 g1 stock size . I have run these for 35,000 miles hard on my G8Gt, with 25 runs at the track and still had more then half tread. I do rotate even 6,000 miles and keep 3 psi mire then stock all the time. My friends Mustang GT club recommends them and nearly the whole club ran them. My G8 GT ran 12.50@110 with bolt ons. I could floor the car in any rain, go hard into turn and then smash to floor and they would grab and go. They rode comfortable,  weren't loud, did fair in snow with two wheel rear drive and lasts forever, rode smooth and comfy. To me they were inexpensive compared to other brands like Michelin sports ps2 or BFG COMPS or continental extremes. None could hold a candle to these tires. I wish I had stock in them or sold them myself, they really that GREAT!
have you ran these on just your g8 or the sho as well? i'm considering them or the BFG comp force 2's. or even the zeon rs3-s as they will be warm weather only tire/wheel combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

derfdog15

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on February 08, 2017, 12:44:00 PM
have you ran these on just your g8 or the sho as well? i'm considering them or the BFG comp force 2's. or even the zeon rs3-s as they will be warm weather only tire/wheel combo.

I've got the BFGs and I love them, nice smooth ride, quite, and they have some aggressive qualities for an A/S. My '60 seems pretty close to SHOs with much more expensive tires so no complaints from me.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: derfdog15 on February 08, 2017, 12:53:45 PM
Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on February 08, 2017, 12:44:00 PM

I've got the BFGs and I love them, nice smooth ride, quite, and they have some aggressive qualities for an A/S. My '60 seems pretty close to SHOs with much more expensive tires so no complaints from me.
how many miles on them and how are they wearing? reviews on the coopers say you get a ton of mileage on them and they're also a couple lbs lighter

11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

derfdog15

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on February 08, 2017, 02:13:27 PM
Quote from: derfdog15 on February 08, 2017, 12:53:45 PM
how many miles on them and how are they wearing? reviews on the coopers say you get a ton of mileage on them and they're also a couple lbs lighter

They have ~11 K on them right now. I did a tire rotation at 7k, and currently there is no difference in wear front to back, though they have ~20 drag passes on them as well as some hard street launches. They are a 40K rated tire, I believe, and I will probably get about 35K with how I drive.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car