• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2014 Taurus SHO - Odd Noise

Started by Fronzizzle, October 07, 2014, 11:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fronzizzle

Hello all,

I have a 2014 Taurus SHO, I've had it for 3-4 months now and just passed 3,000 miles.  I have a LMS tune, but otherwise the car is stock.

I imagine that this is something I'm going to have to take the car into the dealer for, but I grew up working in a garage and intermittent noises were always a pain to try and locate and fix, I'm hoping someone else on here as experienced something similar...

Anyway, about two weeks ago I left work at the end of the day and heard a very odd noise.  It was loud and happened during acceleration.  I'm not sure how to describe it, but it almost sounded like something hitting on something else that was spinning.  If you have had a bad blower motor and something was hitting on the cage, it sounded a little like that.  I was worried, but noticed no performance issues.  At first, the noise was constant but it gradually became less and less frequent; by the time I got home, it was gone.  I didn't notice it over the next few days, I assumed something had gotten stuck someplace (wheel? the turbo?) and eventually worked itself free.

However, on Sunday I noticed it again.  Between then and today, I've driven the car a bit more and have tried to pinpoint the noise.  It's not nearly as loud as it was and sounds a little bit different now, almost like a vibration.  When I hear the noise now, it reminds me of a power steering pump that is going bad but I'm sure that's not it as it happens when I'm driving straight, not turning.  I guess I would describe it as  a "whirring" noise, my wife said it is a "an odd hum".  If I accelerate semi-hard, it does it consistently between 35 and 40 mph.

I suppose it could be something as simple as a heat shield rattling or vibrating.  As I said, I plan on taking the car into the dealer but unless they keep the car for days and drive it a lot, I'm not sure they'll hear the noise.

wasinger3000

Do you feel anything in the steering wheel? Sounds like the half shaft recall. But I dont know if it's that loud or not and I think it would come completely off by now. Is it a metal hitting metal kind of sound?
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

Fronzizzle

No, nothing - no vibration or anything like that.  I took the car in at 1,500 for the half-shaft recall, they examined it and said it was fine at that point.

It's not a grinding noise or anything like that.  I've had some older cars where the heat shield around the converter comes loose and vibrates, it sort of sounds like that...only not as loud, and only at certain speeds.  And, I've only noticed the issue during the first 10-15 minutes of driving, after that I never hear it so it might be going away as the car warms up.

wasinger3000

Quote from: Fronzizzle on October 07, 2014, 02:16:22 PM
No, nothing - no vibration or anything like that.  I took the car in at 1,500 for the half-shaft recall, they examined it and said it was fine at that point.

It's not a grinding noise or anything like that.  I've had some older cars where the heat shield around the converter comes loose and vibrates, it sort of sounds like that...only not as loud, and only at certain speeds.  And, I've only noticed the issue during the first 10-15 minutes of driving, after that I never hear it so it might be going away as the car warms up.
Alright that clears things up. I seems like it's heat expansion related. When the exhaust is cool to the touch you could hit different areas of the exhaust with a rubber mallet and see if it makes the noise.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

ZSHO

First thing would check with your my cal tuner to see if you have any DTC CODES or if you have torque app and check there also,put the vehicle back to stock and see if the noise is still present,also check the bottom oil pan cover to see if those bolts are tight,sometimes they rattle if not tightened properly,after the inspection of the halfshaft.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Fronzizzle

This is sort of interesting.  I called the dealer and setup an appointment.  I only said I had an odd noise during acceleration.  The woman I was speaking to was writing it up, once we settled on a date, she said, "You have a noise when accelerating, sort of a whirring-type sound.  Comes from the engine.  Is typically worse when the car is cold, then gradually gets better as the car gets hot and then goes away."  I replied that yes, that was about it but that I wasn't sure if it ever completely went away.  She said "Got it" and then hung up before I could ask, but it certainly seemed like something they've dealt with before.

SHOdded

Eagerly awaiting the solution to this problem!  Maybe this is the year the dealerships start catching up with SHO-related issues.  Am hearing more success stories lately.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Fronzizzle

Unfortunately, the dealership I go to is backed up so my appointment isn't until the 21st.  As soon as I get the car back & get confirmation on what the issue was, I'll make sure to post.

SHOdded

As long as you get it back before Halloween!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Good luck at the Dealership,noticed alot of dealers backed up cause of all of the recalls going on.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

avidmotion

Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

Jahuff02

I have a 2010 SHO. I had what seemed to be the exact same problem.  Would only happen when the car was cold, and moving faster than 20 mph, mainly above 40 mph.  Only took them 3 weeks to find it. On my car it was the seal on the PTU (power transfer unit) where the driveshaft of the front passenger side entered. The tech lubed it up and no problems so far.

ZSHO

Quote from: Jahuff02 on February 16, 2017, 03:05:41 PM
I have a 2010 SHO. I had what seemed to be the exact same problem.  Would only happen when the car was cold, and moving faster than 20 mph, mainly above 40 mph.  Only took them 3 weeks to find it. On my car it was the seal on the PTU (power transfer unit) where the driveshaft of the front passenger side entered. The tech lubed it up and no problems so far.
Welcome Jahuff02 and due setup in intro for yourself by following the below link,thanks.  Z
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/board,14.0.html