• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Explorer lawsuit

Started by BlueSHO, February 15, 2017, 06:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueSHO

Hey did you guys see this about a lawsuit filed because of the exhaust gas intrusion into the passenger compartment on Explorer's?
http://news10.com/2017/02/15/lawsuit-claims-ford-explorers-may-be-making-hundreds-of-owners-sick/

DETROIT, MI (WCMH) — A lawsuit filed by a California police officer claims a defect in Ford Explorers can leak poisonous gasses into the SUV.

NBC affiliate WDIV reports that more than 400 people have filed complaints with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

In the lawsuit, Newport Beach, California police officer Brian McDowell claims he suffered a traumatic brain injury after he passed out while driving a Ford Explorer. McDowell's lawyer told WDIV that McDowell was responding to a call when he felt sick and blacked out. He said he didn't remember anything else until he was cut out of the car.

"Here's a deadly weapon being driven by nobody because they have carbon monoxide poisoning," the attorney said.

The attorney claims Ford Explorers from model years 2011 through 2015 are affected.

According to an investigation notice from the NTSB, operating the vehicle at full throttle while climbing steep grades or getting onto the freeway or using the air conditioner in recirculation mode contributed to an exhaust smell in the car.

Ford released the following statement to WDIV:

We take the safety of our customers very seriously and will cooperate with NHTSA on this investigation, as we always do. In rare circumstances, there have been instances where customers detected an exhaust odor in Explorers. While it poses no safety risk, customers can and are encouraged to contact their local Ford dealer to address any concerns.

Retired Army vet Ron Booth tells CBS Newsthat he has taken his explorer into the shop several times for repairs, but nothing has solved the problem. He now drives with a carbon monoxide detector in his car as a precaution.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

ZSHO

I think this is only an update AFAIK and think SHOdded did update/mention this issue a while back as he always kindly keeps the ecoboost community up to speed with the latest ongoing events but thanks for sharing the above mentioned info. Z :thumb:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6720.0.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

BlueSHO

Yeah I think I saw that as I used to have a 13 XSPORT but this was the first lawsuit I had seen especially from a police officer who was affected.

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

ZSHO

Quote from: BlueSHO on February 15, 2017, 07:20:45 PM
Yeah I think I saw that as I used to have a 13 XSPORT but this was the first lawsuit I had seen especially from a police officer who was affected.

Its certainly scary knowing the fact you need to install a carbon monoxide detector in there vehicles as precautionary measures is certainly not a good thing like LEA don't have other things to worry about!!! Z :(

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ZSHO

ZSHO

THREE POLICE OFFICERS SUE FORD OVER CARBON MONOXIDE EXPOSURE
August 10, 2017 — Alleged Ford Explorer Police Interceptor carbon monoxide problems have led to three police officers suing the automaker after they allegedly crashed their patrol vehicles. Z  :(

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2017/police-officers-sue-ford-carbon-monoxide-exposure.shtml

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2017/ford-police-interceptor-carbon-monoxide-leaks-to-be-fixed.shtml

Having retired from that profession our dept had '13 & '14 Explorers and experienced no issues as described. But, we also changed to a local equipment installer. These guys are fantastic. They even include a full color wiring diagram booklet of their work for every vehicle.

I've also stripped the equipment out of several old vehicles and found the original installation of the equipment was some of the shoddiest I've seen. (NOT done by the mentioned installer)
They blow holes through the sheet metal, popped out rubber body plugs, run the wires and simply slap some duct tape over the holes.
On one they popped out a roughly 1 1/2" X 4" plug in the driver's footwell to run wires and didn't even bother to seal it. There must have been 2 lbs of sand under the floor mat and the floor was rusted out. The WTF? moments were endless.

We got some cars out of a place in NJ.. These cars were factory "pre-wired" for the light bar and other equipment and the pig tail connector was in the trunk. Simply run the cables, connect them  to the pigtail and plug it in...
These nimrods CUT the pre-wire harness under the glove box at the connector, butchered connections were twisted together and simply wrapped with tape.. those cars had loads of electrical issues. 

Anyway, a lot of these issues may be related to equipment installation companies slapping equipment on as fast as possible and pushing them out the door with no regard for properly sealing holes and whatnot.

OK, rant off... LOL
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
2003 Ford Harley Davidson SuperCrew

sholxgt

207 is dead on!  I had an Atlanta PD detectives Crown Vic PI.  It was loaded with the civilian package, power seats, cruise, windows, etc.   With the options it was basically a CV with good brakes, suspension, and a little more power.

Anyway...I had odor and noise entering the cabin.  Searched forever before I found a giant hole in the firewall behind the dash from a shoddy aftermarket wiring install.  They just used a hole saw and ran wires through the hole with no grommet.  Guarantee you the previous detective inhaled those fumes for 4 years before I bought the car.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

ZSHO

X2 @ above.  To Seal or not to seal.!!!!
Pertaining to electrical gremlins can be contributed by having no seal on the firewall letting in water,carbon monoxide that enters the cabinet through the Dashboard and HVAC which affects your wiring and then modules which ultimately water ends up on your passenger side foot well. Z

bpd1151

Agreed w/ 207.

23yrs in the field here & ticking off another 7 before retirement arrives, but YES!

Tons upon tons of shoddy, 1/2 @$$ aftermarket installers really do do some shady work.

It's downright scary. I've even seen a few squads go up in flames due entirely to shoddy install work.

It's pathetic, but it's typical of government and almost always accepting the lowest bidder on everything.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SHOdded

They do it in the military, so I guess police is fair game.  SAD.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Quote from: SHOdded on August 12, 2017, 08:40:26 AM
They do it in the military, so I guess police is fair game.  SAD.

A person I worked with said that while they were in the military (MP) they went out to relieve a fellow MP at his assigned post only to find the soldier dead in the vehicle from carbon monoxide poisoning. 
Really sad...
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
2003 Ford Harley Davidson SuperCrew

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

FORD EXPLORER CARBON MONOXIDE INVESTIGATION (UPGRADED) !!
September 15, 2017 — A Ford Explorer carbon monoxide investigation has been upgraded after the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) wasn't pleased with Ford response to the investigation.

The original investigation was opened in 2016 and included 2011-2015 Explorers, then expanded in July 2017 to include additional model years. NHTSA says it found additional customer reports related to exhaust odors, along with three crashes and 41 injuries.

Customers complain about symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning including nausea, headaches and dizziness, but a few people also report losing consciousness while driving.

Ford provided safety regulators with 2,400 owner complaints, legal claims and warranty claims involving 2,051 SUVs, in addition to providing details about Ford's own investigation. Z

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2017/ford-explorer-carbon-monoxide-investigation-upgraded.shtml

ZSHO

UPDATE
FORD EXPLORER CARBON MONOXIDE FEARS WILL BE CALMED Without calling it a recall, Ford will make repairs to 1.4 million non-police Ford Explorer SUVs.

October 13, 2017 — Ford Explorer carbon monoxide and exhaust fume concerns will be tackled by the automaker as Ford announced "complimentary service" for 1.4 million model year 2011-2017 non-police Explorers in North America.

Ford insists the SUVs are perfectly safe to drive and the "complimentary service" is not an official recall. The automaker says an internal investigation "has not found carbon monoxide levels that exceed what people are exposed to every day." Z

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2017/ford-explorer-carbon-monoxide-fears.shtml