• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

1988 Merkur XR4Ti turbo Duratec

Started by timbo, February 13, 2017, 11:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbo

Here's my project on a Merkur Forum.  1988 XR4Ti Rolling shell.  Still in the fabrication phaze as I'm packing to move across the country, but here are the plans ultimately.

Engine:
Duratec 2.3 from a Ranger
Eagle H-beam rods
Custom CP pistons (modeled after the cossie bowl dish through JVAB)
MS-3 standalone
95lb injectors
Custom Intake (based on NC Miata MX-5)
custom exhaust manifold
Borg Warner EFR 6758 turbo
XS Power RS500 intercooler and radiator
Walbro 340lph E-85 in-tank pump
3" Exhaust all the way back

Drivetrain:
T-5 with Ford mainhousing and GM tail housing (Shifter position another 2 inches back)
2.95 gearset and .73 5th
Custom plate with V8 bellhousing
Spec 157 tooth 5.0 flywheel with Duratec center bolt pattern
King Cobra clutch
custom aluminum driveshaft
4.3 MK III Supra Diff (upgraded with solid pinion spacer, new bearings and seals, reshimmed, and upgraded LSD)
Chromoly 28 spline axles w/ 108mm joints
Hydraulic clutch: Howe Short Master Cylinder, RAM concentric slave cylinder

Brakes:
Scorpio ABS pump/Master Cylinder and Sierra Cosworth 2wd ABS computer setup
12.19"x1.25" front rotors
4 Pistons calipers: Wilwood Forged Superlight Radial mount 1.62" pistons
11.75x.81 rears
4 piston calipers: Wilwood forged dynalite 3.5" lug mount calipers 1.12" pistons
Wilwood MC4 parking brake calipers

Chassis/Suspension:
Bilstein inserted JVAB coilovers front and rear
8x5" 275lb front springs
165lb rear springs
Scorpio front hubs and rear bearing carriers w/ Scorpio STA's for ABS mounting
Burton Power camber adjustable TCA's
Bondurant swaybars: 32mm front, 22mm rear.
Bracing pieces from the front strut towers to the inner panel and also on the rear shock towers to the inner panel
Rear triangulated shock tower brace.
Making a bracing kit to go from the lower large mounting holes on the supra diff to the chassis right behind the sway bar mounting.
Stiffening the rear subframe and slotting the mounting points (vertical on the inner for camber and horizontal for toe)

Exterior: Outcast front bumper, arches, and grill (rear bumper when he makes it).
GMC Sierra headlights
Hella Micro DE fog lights (I'll run a grill to make it look a little more OEM...sortof)
FG RS-500 upper and lower wings
Cossie FG hood
Enkei RPF-1 17x7.5" & 17x9" wheels
225/45-17 and 255/40-17 Nitto NT-05 Tires

Interior: stock dark grey with black front seats. Nothing too special.
3dr Cossie steering wheel
Cossie 170mph speedo
3 gauge panel where clock/graphic display went (simply use a radio gauge panel insert, fits right in)

Electrical: something of note. I removed the computer for the graphics display. By doing this, I got rid of roughly 5 lbs of wire...no joke. It gave me plenty extra too. I removed the headlight and taillight wiring and spliced it together all the way back so it now is connected under the fuse panel, not running the 3-4ft to the computer and then back again. Battery will stay in it's original position for now.

I will update as I make progress.
2011 SHO PP - Mild mods and 13+ Brakes
2018 Explorer Sport - Stock

SHOdded

This is one SERIOUS build!  Looking forward to updates & pics & videos & ... :D
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!