• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Heated seats stopped working

Started by Sbouvia, February 13, 2017, 07:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSHO

Quote from: Sbouvia on May 28, 2017, 03:10:02 PM
So it appears that this module is under the passenger seat. It sounds like a relay as it clicks on when you select stuff on MFT. I replaced it with new one in about 30 minutes. It appears the one wire melted some which caused the pin to heat up and I assume fry the module. So I am not sure which went first module or the wire. Below is a link to the connector which shows a partially melted plug. I did not get a new plug yet, but may try to find one. I'll upload and post link to module, however all the appears is the pin that corresponds to that wire is darker in color. Please someone let me know if link works.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zarpwqh3uhbw15e/Photo%20May%2026%2C%206%2032%2030%20PM.jpg?dl=1

Done/fixed!! Great info there Sbouvia . Z  :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Mustang5L5

Quote from: Sbouvia on May 28, 2017, 03:10:02 PM
So it appears that this module is under the passenger seat. It sounds like a relay as it clicks on when you select stuff on MFT. I replaced it with new one in about 30 minutes. It appears the one wire melted some which caused the pin to heat up and I assume fry the module. So I am not sure which went first module or the wire. Below is a link to the connector which shows a partially melted plug. I did not get a new plug yet, but may try to find one. I'll upload and post link to module, however all the appears is the pin that corresponds to that wire is darker in color. Please someone let me know if link works.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zarpwqh3uhbw15e/Photo%20May%2026%2C%206%2032%2030%20PM.jpg?dl=1

FOund this thread from your post on Forscan.com.   I think my issue is the same as yours.  I was poking around under my car and found the module, but have yet to pull it out to look at the wiring.

Same symptoms as you had.  BOTH the heat and cool function stopped working at the same time.  No "click" from the module under the seat.  Once in a while it would work again, but it's been dead for over a year.  I want to fix this!

ForScan doesn't even see the module, so I can't pull any DTC's.  I'm assuming it's dead.

My Module part number is different.   BU5T-14B663-AB.   I have a limited, so only the front seats are heated/cooled.

When you replaced the module, did you simple swap the parts, plug it in and that was it?  From what I've seen in the service manual, they state it requires dealer programming.  Hoping that's not the case as I feel better spending $130 on the module and doing it myself, vs $900+ to have the dealer do it.

EDIT:  Crawled under the car. Found the same thing you did.  Burned out connector, and plastic melted on the pin.

The module itself looks ok. I opened it up and didn't see any evidence of burning other than the pin coated in melted plastic. I'll try cleaning it up and plugging it back in and see if I get any life out of it.

Did you ever replace the pigtail? From searching it seems the P/N might be 3U2Z-14S411-ZMB.  Not confirmed yet though.  $40 for a connector is pricey.

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-wire-asy_3u2z-14s411-zmb.html

-2014 Taurus Limited 3.5L FWD

Sbouvia

I did not replace the pigtail. It was an easy swap out and no reprogramming. It has been working fine once switched out. My original one had a different part number, maybe the new one changed part numbers. I think I chucked the original a while back as the pin in the module was also fried.
~Scott
2013 SHO non-pp. Powerstop Top Cop kit rotors and stock Akebono Ceramic Pads, 3bar map sensor, 93 octane 3bar AJPTurbo tuned, but not dialed in.
2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ (Jane) w/ 2.5" lift, Banks torque tubes, monster exhaust and intake.
1991 F Super Duty 2.5 ton dump truck w/ 7.3IDI

ZSHO

$34.89 ea.  Z
WPT928. 
Pigtails include the OE connectorAlternate/OEM Part Number(s): 3U2Z14S411ZMB

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2013,taurus,3.5l+v6+turbocharged,1503823,electrical-connector,seat+heater+element+connector,10825

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Mustang5L5

Quote from: ZSHO on September 05, 2017, 10:00:32 PM
$34.89 ea.  Z
WPT928. 
Pigtails include the OE connectorAlternate/OEM Part Number(s): 3U2Z14S411ZMB

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2013,taurus,3.5l+v6+turbocharged,1503823,electrical-connector,seat+heater+element+connector,10825

Thanks.  Just ordered one.  Going to try replacing the pigtail first.  I found some info to suggest this will fix it vs changing the module out as well.

Tsb 08-23-11
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/adchambers3398/2012-01-25_024147_tsb08-23-11.pdf

Doesn't list the taurus, but same issue.  Here's a vid of the repair.  If the harness alone doesn't work, I'll replace the module.  But thank you so much for the lead as it's been over a year without the Heat/cool function working

http://youtu.be/43KS4ni9lu4

ZSHO

@-Mustang5L5 hope that fixes your issue especially with winter around the corner.
Welcome and Due setup an intro at your earliest convenience,many thanks.  Z

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/board,14.0.html

$37.14 with promo-code applied and free shipping included.
491DE1CF932A65

Mustang5L5

Just to update, I took the module apart and cleaned the affect pin M with my dremel and a wirewheel.  There was a bit of melted plastic on it, so I had to clear it off.

Went out to the car, plugged it into the harness, and my heat/cool seats work again!

Left it tucked under the seat from now.  WHen my new pigtail comes in, I'll take the seat out, solder it in, and put it back together permanently.  But feels good to get this out of the way.  Thanks everyone!

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Sbouvia

Who doesn’t love resurrecting an old thread. So as previous poster said it does appear to be a factory issue with the ground wire being over stressed. I smell a recall* for a possible fire, as I assume melting plastic under a seat is never good. I replaced the controller under the seat first and the system stopped working again a few weeks back. Went and looked under the seat and the pig tail was toast. I ordered one took the seat out spliced, soldered, and heat shrunk everything back together and used both pins as a ground as noted in YouTube video. I verified on the controller that both pins are tied together by using ohm meter. So far so good. Links below are to pictures of melted pig tail, it was gnarly.
~Scott
2013 SHO non-pp. Powerstop Top Cop kit rotors and stock Akebono Ceramic Pads, 3bar map sensor, 93 octane 3bar AJPTurbo tuned, but not dialed in.
2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ (Jane) w/ 2.5" lift, Banks torque tubes, monster exhaust and intake.

ZSHO

Quote from: Sbouvia on March 04, 2018, 08:36:17 AM
Who doesn't love resurrecting an old thread. So as previous poster said it does appear to be a factory issue with the ground wire being over stressed. I smell a decal for a possible fire, as I assume melting plastic under a seat is never good. I replaced the controller under the seat first and the system stopped working again. Went and looked under the seat and the pig tail was toast. I ordered one took the seat out spliced, soldered, and heat shrunk everything back together and used both pins as a ground as noted in YouTube video. I verified on the controller that both pins are tied together by using ohm meter. So far so good. Links below are to pictures of melted pig tail, it was gnarly. Site says I can't upload .jpeg files  even though they show up on iPad as .jpg they keep getting renamed.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ja4LC5vmopTW5mUevMkkwBDqvRQQqEf-

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PIB63s64FjxeWv2WboS6BxPILQ4Nwi0L

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ekER2psow0V1pSIHkle-yfdwpNn4trMF
Request for access has been sent..I will try to upload the PIC'S once readily available.  Z

Sbouvia

So it looks like I could post the pics now can you confirm they are in post? JPEG now shows up as an allowed picture
~Scott

ZSHO

Quote from: Sbouvia on March 04, 2018, 05:37:08 PM
So it looks like I could post the pics now can you confirm they are in post? JPEG now shows up as an allowed picture
Affirmative. Thanks for posting. Z :thumb:

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

mjhpadi

Just a couple of quick info thoughts.  First be careful with Rock Auto, I ordered new struts and shocks for my Mustang and they sent the wrong parts for the install of the struts.  And since more than 30 days passed from the time I got the order until I did the install, they refused to replace with the correct parts. And it was Rock Auto's mistake because the shocks and struts were the correct ones.  I won't purchase from them.
Second, several years ago I had a problem with my seats, both the passenger and driver seat would inflate on their own, random and they always would inflate fully.  Ford is aware of the problem and did fix both of them under warranty so this appears to be another problem that is related to the heated/cooled/massage seats....
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

Mustang5L5

It's been a while since I've done the repair, and everything is going quite well.   I finished the winter off with those heated seats burning my butt off every morning.  Felt great!  Now that warm weather is here, the cooled seats have been being used daily.

One hiccup though with the heated seats.  If i engage the heated seat function too frequently (like when running errands and constantly turning the car on and off and activating the heated seats) i get an overtemperature fault read by ForScan.

The FSM has this to say

QuoteNOTE: The presence of overtemperature faults (DTCs B2729, B2730, B272A and B272B) can be induced by
incorrect operation of the climate controlled seat system after an initial heat setting has been attained. If a heat
setting is repeatedly turned OFF and ON in an attempt to increase the seat temperature or repeatedly toggled
between heat and cool modes, an overtemperature condition can result and the DTCs will be set.
If the temperature at one of the TEDs rises above 110°C (230°F) in the heat mode or 65°C (149°F) in the cool
mode for more than 4 seconds, the DCSM will record an overtemperature DTC, remove voltage from the
TEDs and go into recovery mode (blower only) for 30 seconds to cool down the TEDs . The same will occur
if a temperature difference of 60°C (108°F) or greater is seen between the backrest and cushion TEDs on
either front seat. The DCSM will continue to monitor the TEDs while in recovery mode. If the temperature of
the TEDs does not drop to 105°C (221°F) in the heat mode or 60°C (140°F) in the cool mode after 30
seconds, the system will continue to cool the TEDs in recovery mode for up to 5 minutes. If the TEDs cool
down at anytime after 30 seconds, but before 5 minutes (checked at 4-second intervals), the system will
operate as normal. An overtemperature DTC will still be recorded even if the system recovers and is operating
normally. Recovery mode is more likely to occur during extreme cabin temperatures with significant seat back
sunload. If the system does not recover within 30 seconds in heat mode or within 5 minutes in cool mode, the
DCSM will disable that seat (fault mode) and remain off until the ignition is cycled. Also, if the DCSM
detects temperature differential fault twice during the same ignition cycle, it will shutdown. When a fault
causes a shutdown, the climate controlled seat indicators will turn off for the affected seat and that seat will
not be operational until the next key cycle.

Could be unrelated, but it never did this before I repaired the wiring harness.  Unsure if it's unrelated or related.