• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

17 DTC'S dead battery @ 125k miles....???

Started by 68_GT, February 12, 2017, 06:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68_GT

2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

AJP turbo

Quote from: ZSHO on March 02, 2017, 12:13:19 PM
IMHO would not remove the rear valve cover on a temporary basis because there is a silicone/sealant holding it together so essentially you will have to remove the old sealant carefully and install new silicone/sealant and let it cure for a while and also need to torque down the bolts properly to oem specs.  Z

You mean RTV?...nothing special its quite common...you realize dealer level mechanics slap it on and go and torque wrenches are rarely used....its a valve cover, clean the mating services and thoroughly degrease when applying rtv and dont over tighten the bolts since they are going into aluminum easy peasy...
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

68_GT

2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

pmezo33

That doesn't sound good at all.  Sounds like metal on metal contact to me.  Possibly a rod knock.

What does your oil changes look like?  Metal shavings?  I'd cracked open an oil filter and see if it's catching anything.

68_GT

its coming from the top end I'm pretty sure. The car runs fine and the way I drive I think I would have blown it up by now if it was a rod. To my knowledge engines don't last long with knocking rods.

I just had a mechanic use a mechanics stethoscope and he agreed it seems to be coming from a lifter. oil is fresh and clean.

SHOdded

Sounds like a bad HPFP or rod knock.  That is NOT ticking.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

pmezo33

I'm just basing this off what i hear in that clip.  Lifter noise is more of a tick.  The sound your car seems to be making is more of a knock.

Definitely no metal shavings anywhere in that oil or oil filter?

pmezo33

Quote from: SHOdded on March 02, 2017, 01:20:34 PM
Sounds like a bad HPFP or rod knock.  That is NOT ticking.

Exactly what i'm hearing too.  Sounds like every other rod knock that i've ever heard.  This sounds nothing like a tick that you'd get from a lifter.

SHOdded

As long as a low oil pressure light does not come on, the rod knock won't do damage, generally.  If it does come on, no more driving.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Quote from: AJP turbo on March 02, 2017, 12:39:22 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on March 02, 2017, 12:13:19 PM
IMHO would not remove the rear valve cover on a temporary basis because there is a silicone/sealant holding it together so essentially you will have to remove the old sealant carefully and install new silicone/sealant and let it cure for a while and also need to torque down the bolts properly to oem specs.  Z

You mean RTV?...nothing special its quite common...you realize dealer level mechanics slap it on and go and torque wrenches are rarely used....its a valve cover, clean the mating services and thoroughly degrease when applying rtv and dont over tighten the bolts since they are going into aluminum easy peasy...
Correct RTV/Sealant same crap different smell.lol.  Z
Motorcraft #TA357 SEALANT - SILICONE (TA357)
Pics below.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-TA357-SEALANT-SILICONE/dp/B0065T1N8I/ref=sr_1_1/165-7563507-2835908?ie=UTF8&qid=1488478838&sr=8-1&keywords=ford%2Fmotorcraft+TA+357+SEALANT

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

68_GT

the high flow fuel pump is the silver thing on the front top of the engine right ? has the foam noise dampner on it ?

68_GT

considering worst case scenario here if I needed an engine here what would you guys do ?
thinking to get a used complete engine out of a wrecked car or get a deal on a new Ford engine assembly ? maybe an upgrade engine with Ford racing ?? sheez.... My dealer wanted $5k for a long block and $10k for a whole new engine.

derfdog15

Quote from: 68_GT on March 02, 2017, 02:01:10 PM
considering worst case scenario here if I needed an engine here what would you guys do ?
thinking to get a used complete engine out of a wrecked car or get a deal on a new Ford engine assembly ? maybe an upgrade engine with Ford racing ?? sheez.... My dealer wanted $5k for a long block and $10k for a whole new engine.

If you end up needing a new engine, I would go with either a SuperSix Motorsports or Livernois shortblock (or longblock if available). May cost a little more than a stock short/longblock, but will make more power, and be able to handle said increased power.

The cheaper option would be a used unit out of a car that was in a rear end collision, etc. but you never know how that was cared for.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

SHOdded

Correct that is the HPFP.  Hopefully that is making the racket.

I believe RandR10 is looking for a replacement engine for his Flex and says that 13+ engines are easily sourced on eBay.    New engines will be more difficult, Ford seems to have a backlog.  And yeah, they are expensive to find and install.

68_GT

I just talked to Tousley Ford and they say a new engine is $4600 discounted to $3,700 for the good guy discount. New engine is basically a long block. Apparently they don't have a fully dressed SHO replacement engine. Do those come from Ford Racing ? Maybe only for a F150. Would that work just need to use our upper intake ??

here is  a demo of the HFPF I think ??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdYDRXsG6Qc

I guess if I had to get a new engine I'd consider getting a Livernois built engine, but how much power does just the longblock add and at what point does the higher power start really breaking other things ? trans etc...