• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

17 DTC'S dead battery @ 125k miles....???

Started by 68_GT, February 12, 2017, 06:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Looks like you will have to remove the engine from the SHO to get access to do the work, because you have to first remove the camshafts and valve tappets to get to the Valve Spring, Retainer and Seal.

BTW, there aren't any roller rockers in this system.
QuoteThe valve train uses Direct Acting Mechanical Buckets (DAMB). The camshaft lobes are positioned directly above mechanical buckets which are positioned on top of the valves.

Valve Clearance Check
Remove the valve covers. For additional information, refer to Valve Cover — LH and Valve Cover — RH in this section.
NOTE: Engine must be at room temperature before measuring. The valve clearance must be measured with the camshaft at base circle. The engine will have to be rotated with the crankshaft pulley bolt to bring each valve to base circle.

Use a feeler gauge to measure the clearance of each valve and record its location. A midrange clearance is the most desirable:
Intake: 0.15-0.25 mm (0.006-0.01 in)
Exhaust: 0.360-0.460 mm (0.0142-0.0181 in)

NOTE: The number on the valve tappet reflects the thickness of the valve tappet. For example, a tappet with the number 3.310 has the thickness of 3.31 mm (0.13 in).

If any of the valve clearances are out of specification, select new tappets using this formula: tappet thickness = measured clearance + the base tappet thickness - most desirable thickness.
Select the tappets and mark the installation location.
If required, install the new selected valve tappets in the marked locations. For additional information, refer to Valve Tappets in this section.

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

68_GT

from what I can tell the overhead cams sit on a little rocker that pushes down on a lifter. There a tool that presses on the spring to pull the rocker out then the lifter comes out.
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

68_GT

are these cams sitting directly on the lifters on top of the valves ?
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

SHOdded

Basically, the camshaft sits directly above the valves with different thickness pucks (or shims) for adjustment.  I believe this is very similar to the valvetrain in the Yamaha SHOs.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOdded

The concept is alike to the Shim-over-bucket "adjusters" explained in this article here
https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/why-do-bikes-use-shim-under-bucket-valve-adjusters

See the HowTo for the Top 60K service on Gen 1/2 SHOs
http://web.archive.org/web/20110506202226/http://www.shophoenixproject.com/upper60k/upper60k.htm

Search for "Then loosen all of the spark plugs a few turns" read from there on down.  Also note this will be a good time to check the shims for damage.

68_GT

wow,,,, so is my local Ford dealer incapable of doing that or unwilling to because they want me to buy an engine ?

who does this kind of work ???

maybe its not that bad ???

SHOdded

It is a tedious list of steps, but any competent mechanic should be able to get it done.  IF I went that far down the rabbit hole, though, I would look at everything while the engine was out, including the bottom end.  Seems like you have mechanics you can work with?  Might make financial sense then.  As to parts availability, I can't say 4 sure, as we haven't had anyone do this work yet (and post about it).

8   BL3Z-6571-A   Valve Seals $2.84   $2.00   
9   AA5Z-6513-A   Valve Springs TAURUS; W/TURBO $4.25   $2.74   
10   7T4Z-6514-AA   Valve Spring Retainers TAURUS $5.45   $3.51   
11   1S7Z-6518-AA   Valve Keeper TAURUS $4.75   $3.05   
12   AT4Z-6500-AAA   Valve Lifters TAURUS $11.93   $7.68   

68_GT

in that link it didn't say why that whole job was necessary,,,,, I would guess once I removed my valve cover it might be obvious which shim might need to be replaced upon a visual inspection ??

It might not be too bad if it's just one or 2. Doing the entire engine might be a real nuisance.

68_GT

think I'll pull valve cover and have a look my self. Is it OK to remove these quick connect hoses to move them out of the way ?

ZSHO

Quote from: 68_GT on March 02, 2017, 11:29:28 AM
think I'll pull valve cover and have a look my self. Is it OK to remove these quick connect hoses to move them out of the way ?

Yes but be careful with the fuel vapor hose,red clip.
BTW fixed the pic for ya.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

glock-coma

The 2 with the white clip are vacuum lines, those are fine to remove.
The red clip one is fuel. Not sure if it's pressurized or a return to the tank.
EXERCISE CAUTION IF YOU REMOVE IT.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

68_GT

Yeah I think only the white clip hoses will have to be removed to get it off. What is the module attached to the valve cover there ?

Should I assume the valve cover gasket will not be reusable ? I just want to peek under the cover for now. A shop wanted $350 to look at it.

Oh and thanks for helping with the pic adjustment !

derfdog15

Quote from: glock-coma on March 02, 2017, 11:36:42 AM
The 2 with the white clip are vacuum lines, those are fine to remove.
The red clip one is fuel. Not sure if it's pressurized or a return to the tank.
EXERCISE CAUTION IF YOU REMOVE IT.

Especially since the clip has been known to be brittle and break upon removal, from what I have seen other members post.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

ZSHO

IMHO would not remove the rear valve cover on a temporary basis because there is a silicone/sealant holding it together so essentially you will have to remove the old sealant carefully and install new silicone/sealant and let it cure for a while and also need to torque down the bolts properly to oem specs.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

68_GT