• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

American Racing Torque Thrust

Started by guzzi svt, February 07, 2017, 08:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guzzi svt

Well it took 7 years but American Racing finally built a Torque Thrust to fit the SHO. They have two size that fit, 8.5x20 w/+32mm os and the 9X20 w/+45mm os that I went with. I'll be putting on my set of red front Wilwoods and a LMS tune next.
2010 SHO w/PP
H&R
AR Torque Thrust

derfdog15

20x8.5 +35mm is a mustang wheel, as is the 20x9 + 45mm I believe. Still nice that they are out there. Pretty much any 05+ mustang wheel fits the SHO (and I believe Explorer, Flex, etc.).
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

guzzi svt

I asked an AR rep at a Good Guys event back in 2012, he told me they didn't and would never make any because they were FWD....?
I had my local custom wheel shop looking for anything like old school mags for me too with no luck.
Not too many people with after mark wheels on the SHO sites either.
I finally got what I was looking for!
2010 SHO w/PP
H&R
AR Torque Thrust

djxfactor

Ride is looking really sharp with those wheels.  Wasn't sure what they'd look like on a SHO, but I'm liking what I see!
2014 Ford Flex Limited AWD EcoBoost - Full Amsoil Synthetic Fluids swap in engine and driveline, SCT X4 Tuner w/ multiple tunes for 93 + Meth, Dash-mount Tablet running Torque Pro Gauges w/ BT Wireless OBD Adapter, 170 T-stat, 3-Bar MAP sensor, Denso 1step Colder Spark Plugs, OBX Catless Downpipes, Magnaflow Downpipe-back 2.5" exhaust system, Magnaflow 2.5" X-Pipe, MDesign Carbon Direct Cold Air Intake (Latest Gen), UPR 3-way Catch Can System, Devil's Own Stage-2 3-Bar Methanol Injection System with custom Tank/Pump mount, EcoPowerParts Black powder-coated Charge Pipe kit, TIAL Q Race BOV in Ruby Red color-match, Power Stop Z23 Brake upgrade on all 4 corners with Drilled/Slotted Zinc Rotors and Carbon Fiber-infused Ceramic Pads with color-matched Ruby Red calipers, Moog upgraded Sway Bar Endlinks, lowered on Megan Racing EZ Street coilovers, SPC Rear Camber kit, Verde Axis V99 Bronze 20x9 wheels wrapped in 275/40 Nexens, Custom forged 4 1/2" spiked one-piece steel lugs, Kicker CompRT 12" Sub in custom spare tire-well box, Polk Audio Carbon C500.1 mono sub amp, All-Fit Front Lip Spoiler, 3D Carbon Rear Wing, Ruby Red vinyl wrapped interior trim, LED-lit "FLEX" Door Sills, Full LED Interior bulb swap, Red LED Accent lighting throughout, SpiderMax 3D Kagu black laser fit floor mats for all 3 rows, LED Puddle Light swap, Tinted LED Tails, Windows Tinted all around.

derfdog15

Quote from: guzzi svt on February 07, 2017, 04:09:21 PM
I asked an AR rep at a Good Guys event back in 2012, he told me they didn't and would never make any because they were FWD....?
I had my local custom wheel shop looking for anything like old school mags for me too with no luck.
Not too many people with after mark wheels on the SHO sites either.
I finally got what I was looking for!

The SHO is AWD, but wheel fitment is the same on the SHO and the other taurus models (other than minimum size, SHO/PI minimum is 18s, everything else is 17s due to smaller brakes I believe). Bolt pattern is 5x4.5 on the taurus, which is the standard mustang pattern as well. Stock offset on the SHO is ~38mm or 40mm I believe on a 20x8 wheel in my case. I run 20x8.5 AMRs (mustang wheel +30) with no issue and have been since the day I got the car. I know of a few others doing it as well.

FWD vs RWD vs. AWD makes no difference to if a wheel will bolt up, the thing to consider there is tire sizes (AWD needs to have front vs. back within a specific percentage or it may cause issues). FWD there is no reason to stagger, unless its a drag car, and then you put fat meat on front and tiny on the back because its FWD. RWD you can put fat tires on back, and smaller on front, for the classic muscle car stagger.

You can stagger FWD like a RWD for looks, it just isnt really practical.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

Steps

I have owned several Mustangs and thought this would look awful...

I was wrong. Very nice!
2011 Lincoln MKS - Stock for now...but not for long.

lattyd

Looks slick! Always wanted a set similar when I had my GP but they seem more at home on your Taurus

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Current: 2011 Ford Taurus SHO - Performance Pack - KNN Drop-In Filter / H&R Springs / VOXX Matt Black Wheels / Black Trim / NEW: Unleashed Tune - 3 Bar MAP - 170* T-Stat
Previous: 2012 Chevy Sonic - 1.4T - Trifecta Tuned - ZZP Catback - Injen Custom Intake
Previous: 2007 Grand Prix GXP - Trifecta Tuned - Flowmaster American Thunder 40's - KNN Air Intake

gtmorgan23

I normally hate those wheels because every darn 99-04 mustang has them but

they look great on the SHO.

Are you still happy with the setup?

Id love to see them in black.
2019 Edge ST "Phasma"
JLT Catch Can

gtmorgan23

2019 Edge ST "Phasma"
JLT Catch Can

gtmorgan23

2019 Edge ST "Phasma"
JLT Catch Can

derfdog15

Quote from: gtmorgan23 on October 19, 2017, 11:04:24 AM
https://www.americanmuscle.com/black-dd-bullitt-20x85-2015.html

Are these the same thing or would they not fit because of our brakes?

Same style but American Muscle brand rather than American Racing like the OP. Those will fit just fine. Like I said in my earlier post 05+ Mustang wheels pretty much all fit as long as they are 18" or larger. Anything smaller wont fit over the brakes.
Quote from: gtmorgan23 on October 19, 2017, 11:13:23 AM
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/are-105m29067ssb

I think these are the ones that you got but in black.

Most likely correct. Those will fit as well, and are the "name brand", and slightly wider. Likely a bit heavier as well.

Quote from: gtmorgan23 on October 19, 2017, 11:16:58 AM
same thing better price

https://lmr.com/item/REV-186B8912/Mustang-Black-Bullitt-Wheel-18x9

sorry saving these for myself for later.

Those should fit fine as well. Note that you linked the 18" version vs. the previous two being 20". LMR doesnt appear to have a 20" version. 18" will still fit, but you will not be able to re-use your stock 20" tires for obvious reasons. You should be able to find the correct tire size on the SEL/Limited/Police Interceptor models.

American Muscle has an 18x9 option as well, and ~10 cheaper per rim. https://www.americanmuscle.com/verde-2005-18x9-black-deep-dish-bullitt-wheels.html

They also have 18x8.5 as an option which is slightly lighter weight and would use the same size tires.

For ease of swap, I recommend going with the 20's, assuming they will be your DD set. Then you can swap over your current tires from your OEM wheels. If you are going to have to get new tires anyway, than stepping down to the 18" may be a bit easier on the wallet, both rims and tires will be slightly cheaper. Though there arent a lot of options for certain sizes of 18" (muscle car sizes that is, the Taurus stock size should be readily available).

Best I can tell, the stock 18s on the lower taurus models is 18x8 wrapped in 235/55/18. This is the same rim as earlier, in an 18x8. For about $10 less than the 18x9. https://www.americanmuscle.com/black-bullitt-18x8-0512.html

Hope all this helps in your search.

gtmorgan23

i didn't mean to link the 18 inch version. I guess I overlooked that.

I would go 20 so I could share tire size and current look.

The american muscle ones in 20x8.5 would probably be the winner as they are a good bit cheaper than the AR ones.

Thanks for the info.
2019 Edge ST "Phasma"
JLT Catch Can

derfdog15

Quote from: gtmorgan23 on October 19, 2017, 03:26:08 PM

The american muscle ones in 20x8.5 would probably be the winner as they are a good bit cheaper than the AR ones.

Thanks for the info.

Anytime! If you can wait, they will almost definitely have some nice deals come black friday/cyber monday. Alternatively, if you dont need em new, check out SVTPerformance, Corral.net, and your local craigslist. Mustang wheels sell like hotcakes, and us mustang drivers change wheels alot (well atleast I do, I think I have 3 sets of wheels/tires at the current moment).

gtmorgan23

Im def in no hurry. just looking more than anything.
2019 Edge ST "Phasma"
JLT Catch Can

lamrith

Quote from: derfdog15 on October 19, 2017, 03:35:14 PM
Quote from: gtmorgan23 on October 19, 2017, 03:26:08 PM

Thanks for the info.

Anytime! If you can wait, they will almost definitely have some nice deals come black friday/cyber monday. Alternatively, if you dont need em new, check out SVTPerformance, Corral.net, and your local craigslist. Mustang wheels sell like hotcakes, and us mustang drivers change wheels alot (well atleast I do, I think I have 3 sets of wheels/tires at the current moment).
Any potential performance benefit to the 18"?  Taller sidewall for more flex/give on hard launches?  Though as you mentioned, very limited tire choices.  Not going to go any wider than stock SHO based on my quick look earlier.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.