• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Unknown source of leak on engine

Started by Wardog692, February 01, 2017, 06:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardog692

Update:
Got home and checked the intercooler for oil and found quite a bit it seems. Also the pipes themselves seem to not just have oil, but some gunk as well.
Dipstick in intercooler test:

Noisemaker pipe insides/gunk:

Opposite side pipe (next to air intake/drivers side):

Looks like a catch can is my next purchase. Is there anything I/my warranty can do to slow or prevent this buildup in the first place?
2010 SHO 402b non PP
BOV VTA w/ K&N Breather Filters
mDesign CAI
35% Tint
BrakePerformance drilled/slotted rotors w/ ceramic pads

MiWiAu

Quote from: Wardog692 on February 02, 2017, 06:30:15 PM
Looks like a catch can is my next purchase. Is there anything I/my warranty can do to slow or prevent this buildup in the first place?

Maybe if you show them all the oil they would clean it out for you? Dunno. They might tell you it's normal, too, and charge you for the cleaning.

I'm not totally convinced that a catch can would address this. As indicated in my prior post, I'm starting to think clean side separator alone might resolve a bulk of the oil deposits in the intake... With the stock setup, your dirty side is connected post TB, so I don't think you'd ever see oil flowing from the TB back to the CAC. Only other sources of intake oil are the cleanside intake connection or turbo blow by.

Not saying an OCC isn't a worthy investment, I'm just not convinced it is going to resolve the intake oil issue UNLESS the cleanside intake connection is removed via CSS or another alternative.

Anyone else have a thought on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

Wardog692

Quote from: MiWiAu on February 02, 2017, 07:22:42 PM

Not saying an OCC isn't a worthy investment, I'm just not convinced it is going to resolve the intake oil issue UNLESS the cleanside intake connection is removed via CSS or another alternative.

Pardon my stupidity, but what's the difference in a catch can vs a clean side separator? Isn't a CSS just an add on to a catch can? Also, any suggestions on brand (UPR, RX, JLT)?
2010 SHO 402b non PP
BOV VTA w/ K&N Breather Filters
mDesign CAI
35% Tint
BrakePerformance drilled/slotted rotors w/ ceramic pads

MiWiAu

Quote from: Wardog692 on February 02, 2017, 07:32:47 PM

Pardon my stupidity, but what's the difference in a catch can vs a clean side separator? Isn't a CSS just an add on to a catch can? Also, any suggestions on brand (UPR, RX, JLT)?

No worries! The clean side separator does not actually connect to the catch can. The clean side is primarily a fresh air intake. Occasionally, flow temporarily reverses direction, which is where (I suspect) a bulk of the oil is pulled into the intake on the OE setup. All the CSS is supposed to do is prevent oil from exiting the valve cover during these temporary flow reversals. Usually with a CSS install, the OE cleanside ports are plugged and the new CSS tube is run to either the clean side of the airbox or vented to atmosphere with a press-on filter.

An OCC, on the other hand, connects to the dirty side (rear bank on transverse), and vacuum is provided from the IM (during cruise) or the intake piping (under boost) to draw "dirty" air into the catch can, where oil/water/fuel from PCV vapor (hopefully) stays in the can and "clean" air returns to the vacuum source.

Some OCC setups (like JLT) do not pull from both vacuum sources, but can be modified somewhat easily to do so. You'd want vacuum from both intake pipes and IM for maximum efficiency, since you'd be drawing dirty air under all running conditions.

Hope this helps a little. Keep asking questions if something still isn't clear. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

SHOdded

Not TOO bad, but def would be good to take care of.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!