• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Don't let this happen to your 3.5L!!

Started by Livernois Motorsports, January 20, 2017, 04:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Livernois Motorsports

Starting with a great foundation is the way to build solid home that will stand for years to come. This is the same aspect when it comes to your motor, especially your 3.5L EcoBoost motor.

Take a look at the photos and see what happens when a stock block is pushed to the breaking point. The stock metals constructed to form the stock rod is not strong enough to handle the added boost and engine rpm. So in-turn they will crack and continue to spin inside the block causing the block to crack and even holes in the walls of the block. This is absolute catastrophic failure and will be costing you a boat load of cash!

One way to avoid this from happening and making your wallet very sad is to start with a great foundation as explained with the home example. When you are looking to push anywhere from 450 or more wheel hp/tq a new piston and rod is necessary. Here at Livernois Motorsports we have developed a solution for this issue. After many years of testing and building EcoBoost motors, we have seen all of the breaks, cracks, and destruction that could possibly happen to these blocks. That is why we have one of the best kits on the market. The Powerstorm Ultra High Performance rods and Powerstorm Ultra High Performance pistons are the best starting point. They will be able to handle all the power you can throw at them, being constructed of 4340 aircraft quality vacuum degassed rods and 2618 forged pistons.

During this process, we highly suggest to add in a set of Powerstorm Oil Pump gears made of 4140 chromolly steel. This will eliminate the possibility of the stock oil pump gears breaking with added crankshaft vibration, a very common cause of failure.

Below is a list of our product lines like Powerstorm pistons, rods, and short blocks!

Powerstorm Ultra High Performance Rods - http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP710100
Powerstorm Ultra High Performance Pistons - http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP720110
Powerstorm Billet Oil Pump Gears - http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP701141

derfdog15

"Added boost and engine RPM..."

Elaborate please, how much boost/ how high are you talking about spinning the motor?

You say 450/450 as the limit on the stock pistons/rods. Is this based on the torque, hp, or both? Since the ecoboosts make a lot more torque than HP, and I know I make more than 450 awtq, and there are other here making more than I do on stock blocks (with a lot more miles driven at those power levels as well).

Curious also why the 3.5L oil pump gears don't show up when putting in 2015 Taurus to the search, but the full assembly does show up?

Thanks.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

StealBlueSho

I asked the same questions on the SHO forums...

But in case they are monitoring the one more closely...

If I am not mistaken does the LMS Stage 5 Meth kit along with the needed boltons produce more than 450lbs of torque?!

I would assume that LMS would not be selling those kits to customers who did not have required rods and pistons to accompany the kit?

Even one blown motor would cause a massive dent in sales I would imagine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamsho

Pretty sure they are talking about AWHP.  Anyone running meth is getting near that threshold, but not over.  If your planning on adding ATP turbos def would recommend better internals.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

StealBlueSho

Yea, they answered my questions on the other forums... it's more of a safety blanket than a must have. With their meth tune they are seeing the sho's out down around 430-440 torque.. which in my mind means it's a pretty safe meth tune since we have just tuned cars putting out more than that now...

I appreciate LMS letting us know that 450+ is where they are starting to see rod failures. I was just shocked as I had never heard that number before...

Although Mike from PPE had mentioned a number close to that too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk