• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

VTA plugs

Started by Heelfan1, January 18, 2017, 09:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heelfan1

https://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/converted/670750/670750704796lg.jpg

Found these at Home Depot/lowes to use for plugging blow off valves.  With these you don't have to remove anything just disconnect the BOV hose and plug with this and done. Takes like two minutes to do both. The plugs are only about 15 cents each. The actual plug is plastic vs the one pictured.
2013 SHO non PP LMS Tuned, 160ts, 3 Bar, CAI, DP's
2013 EX Sport, LMS Tuned, 160ts,3 Bar, CAI
2018 Raptor H.O. Ecoboost LMS Tuned
2011 F150 Harley Edition 6.2 AWD(sold)
Whipple SC, JDM Tuned 600+ hp

derfdog15

Quote from: Heelfan1 on January 18, 2017, 09:22:40 PM

Found these at Home Depot/lowes to use for plugging blow off valves.  With these you don't have to remove anything just disconnect the BOV hose and plug with this and done. Takes like two minutes to do both. The plugs are only about 15 cents each. The actual plug is plastic vs the one pictured.

What is the heat rating on them? Other than a press fit how do you secure them/insure they don't blow out or get sucked in? With a cap, such as the McMaster Carr silicon caps, or even the chair leg caps people have used, it is over the port, and secured with a clamp like a hose would be. The clamp keeps it from blowing out, and since it is over, instead of inside, it is much less likely to be sucked in, unless the cap were to catastrophically fail and disintegrate.

If the plugs work, and can be secured in a way that those two failure modes don't need to be worried about, then I think it is a great find. However, if either of those failure modes is still something to worry about, then I personally would not risk it so save a couple bucks.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

BoostedSho2010

Quote from: derfdog15 on January 18, 2017, 09:50:03 PM
Quote from: Heelfan1 on January 18, 2017, 09:22:40 PM

What is the heat rating on them? Other than a press fit how do you secure them/insure they don't blow out or get sucked in? With a cap, such as the McMaster Carr silicon caps, or even the chair leg caps people have used, it is over the port, and secured with a clamp like a hose would be. The clamp keeps it from blowing out, and since it is over, instead of inside, it is much less likely to be sucked in, unless the cap were to catastrophically fail and disintegrate.

If the plugs work, and can be secured in a way that those two failure modes don't need to be worried about, then I think it is a great find. However, if either of those failure modes is still something to worry about, then I personally would not risk it so save a couple bucks.
Don't understand why u guys vta.I have read it blows all the crap all over the motor and guys have to add hoses to dump under the car...
my car makes lots of boost noise and bov is loud with a k&n cai. Can hear the turbos spool sounds great. No mess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MiWiAu

Quote from: BoostedSho2010 on January 20, 2017, 12:06:32 AM
Don't understand why u guys vta.I have read it blows all the crap all over the motor and guys have to add hoses to dump under the car...
my car makes lots of boost noise and bov is loud with a k&n cai. Can hear the turbos spool sounds great. No mess

A different way to think about it: if VTA is blowing crap ON the motor, then it's not blowing crap IN the motor. If one has that much junk circulating in the intake and charge pipes, it will eventually get into the CAC and ingested into the motor.

FWIW, I installed a cleanside separator to prevent oil from being pulled into the intake, after which I cleaned out all my intake piping and charge pipes, then did VTA. I've been VTA for 8,000 mi now and not a single drop of oil from my BOVs and absolutely ZERO mess.

Plus, it sounds ricer, and I like it. :)

2013 XSport

BoostedSho2010

Quote from: MiWiAu on January 20, 2017, 12:15:07 AM
Quote from: BoostedSho2010 on January 20, 2017, 12:06:32 AM

A different way to think about it: if VTA is blowing crap ON the motor, then it's not blowing crap IN the motor. If one has that much junk circulating in the intake and charge pipes, it will eventually get into the CAC and ingested into the motor.

FWIW, I installed a cleanside separator to prevent oil from being pulled into the intake, after which I cleaned out all my intake piping and charge pipes, then did VTA. I've been VTA for 8,000 mi now and not a single drop of oil from my BOVs and absolutely ZERO mess.

Plus, it sounds ricer, and I like it. :)

Hmm must be the environment some too. good point on dumping instead of having it circulated back in. I used to worry but now I just wash it out with pure meth

derfdog15

I did VTA mostly for sound, and peace of mind if I crank the boost up (but thats because I went with a TiAL BOV).

MiWiAu hit the nail on the head though, id rather blow oil/fuel/gunk on my engine, instead of have the gunk mix blown into my intake where it doesn't belong.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

MiWiAu

I suppose one other possible benefit...

If you start with a clean system (like I did) VTA might give you an early/earlier indication of pending turbo seal failure when you start seeing oil coming out of your BOV(s).

2013 XSport