• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Livernois Motorsports catted downpipes will NOT pass state inspection

Started by Kcope2006, January 16, 2017, 06:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSHO

Quote from: derfdog15 on January 19, 2017, 07:09:29 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on January 19, 2017, 06:52:05 PM
Quote from: derfdog15 on January 19, 2017, 05:06:36 PM
Quote from: AJP turbo on January 19, 2017, 04:56:36 PM
Sho's have a 3rd cat so going catless yields very little smell i know
And as for smell, nail on the head. Granted I have the same SW pipes that AJPTurbo had, but with my third cat in place, and summit race mufflers I have not noticed much of a smell difference. Stock vs. catless it always had a slight gas smell on a cold start. On warm start I can't tell a difference. Most people leave the 3rd cat, until going with a catback, and even then, I doubt there would be a major smell change.
I beg to differ!!!! no gas smell here cold or warm with 40K+tuned miles. Z
I am not referring to a smell in cabin, I am referring to literally standing in front of the exhaust pipes, as the exhaust clouds out due to the hot gas hitting frigid air. There is a faint hint of gasoline in that scenario, which has been the case on my car since it was brand new. Not noticeable next to the car or in it/in front of.

I have noticed an almost identical smell to what I am describing with any vehicle that I have driven in the cold, my old 04 F150 did it, my mustang does it, my moms fusion, my grandmas focus. Everyone one of those vehicles, including mustang and F150 had all stock catalytic converts. Other than the mustang and F150 the entire exhaust system stock on those cars.

I may have a more acute sense to the smell of gas than you, who knows. But the statement/fact remains that on my car, catless downpipes and 3rd cat has not changed smell, and I doubt there would be much difference with a 3rd cat delete, but can not make a factual statement regarding my car in that scenario because I have not done it yet.

As always, cars are different, people are different, so who knows, maybe with my car but you near it you would not notice a smell? Maybe your car, and me in the scenario I described - I would smell something?

I think both of our cars, and senses are different. Good discussion here, but at this point you and I debating whether our cars have a smell isn't of much value to this thread IMO.
Derfdog BTW, last time I checked this is a public forum and everyone is welcomed to share his/her's opinion AFAIK and open for discussions. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Kcope2006

Well, as you all had already stated the "mini CAT" O2 non-foulers didn't work. It throws P013A/P013C codes.

Doing a little more digging on the LMS website there is not "off-road use only" disclaimer on the Stage 2 kit product page, which is where I located and shopped for the parts. There IS a disclaimer if you only look at the catted down pipe product page.

All hope is lost and it looks like I'm going to have to spend a lot more time and money to correct this which is frustrating. Yet again, thank you all for the comments and suggestions. I'm going to do some research to find out what the least troublesome solution would be; whether that's buying OEM downpipes to install to pass inspection or trying to sell my LMS downpipes products and switch to PPE. Or if I'm going to just abandon all of it and go back to all factory parts.

I really wish my first delve into aftermarket upgrades would have gone smoother than this...

SHOdded

So you have tried the LME downpipes + OEM tune + drive cycle completion route?  You can always pull the neg batt cable for 30 min/try the KAM reset procedure then do the drive cycle again on the OEM tune.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

derfdog15

Quote from: Kcope2006 on January 23, 2017, 11:22:13 AM
Well, as you all had already stated the "mini CAT" O2 non-foulers didn't work. It throws P013A/P013C codes.

Doing a little more digging on the LMS website there is not "off-road use only" disclaimer on the Stage 2 kit product page, which is where I located and shopped for the parts. There IS a disclaimer if you only look at the catted down pipe product page.

All hope is lost and it looks like I'm going to have to spend a lot more time and money to correct this which is frustrating. Yet again, thank you all for the comments and suggestions. I'm going to do some research to find out what the least troublesome solution would be; whether that's buying OEM downpipes to install to pass inspection or trying to sell my LMS downpipes products and switch to PPE. Or if I'm going to just abandon all of it and go back to all factory parts.

I really wish my first delve into aftermarket upgrades would have gone smoother than this...

Sorry for your troubles once again, I have noticed the LME site seems to have some inconsistencies/typos, and IMO, I would take a screenshot of the page you purchased from (to validate that it does not state off-road use only) and talk to LME about correcting this on their end (ie. taking care of you as you did not know and the page you looked at did not tell you there may be emissions related issues).

As for the mini-cats, what happened here is the reason I generally stay with tried and trued options, instead of trying to go off on my own, as sometimes you just throw the money away.

Your best bet for a set it and forget it option, is to go with PPE pipes, which will pass readiness tests (though they may not pass sniffer tests), you will get the benefits of larger pipes with better spool over the stock pipes.

If you want to do a little more work on your end, then I say try to find stock pipes (or have yours repaired - I believe you mentioned yours had an issue which is why you went aftermarket, correct?). Install stock pipes for emissions testing, then revert back to LME pipes afterwards. If you keep the LME pipes, I would recommend removing the mini-cat and reverting them to as delivered.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

Kcope2006

SHO - yes I have tried the downpipes with OEM tune...twice. Once it completes the drive cycle the CEL comes on with P0420/0430 codes (ineffective CATS). There's not enough catalyst in the hi-flow cats to trigger the correct reading for the O2 sensors.

Derf - I believe I'm going to look for some used OEM downpipes to install for inspection and then reinstall the LMS pipes. I already have the CAI, thermostat and pipes that the tune was made for so it seems like that's the easiest solution. I have already grabbed screenshots to present to LMS.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

mval

this was the main reason i kept my old dp when i went to the ppe's was our state inspection. they did pass a readiness state test once i ran the goofy procedure. i have not check it since to see if readiness error came back. i almost positive they passed the AZ state as well.
'10 lme 4+93, 160t, 3 bar, w/cust headrest & evo gauge pod,md design cai, ppe dpes, borla cback , vertini 20" cust wheels w/conti dws, ebc slotted rotors w/red pads & mgp caliper covers, viper remote start, cust dipped eng cover,fascia, cai & lids,decals, custom bra, black wrapped spoiler
2017 chally scat pack shaker yellow jacket dd, so sho can be a show queen

Steps

Folks need to pay close attention to their states emissions laws. In CO they put our cars on a roller, run them up to 55, and do a sniff test while they do it. Do you think I would chance catted DP's? Nope, because I know it will fail after doing the research.

LMS does warn you about emissions and off-road use only (maybe not strictly in the link to that catted DP, but it is all over their site)! Hell, my tuner came with multiple warnings, JUST FOR THE TUNE! Regardless, it isn't on your shop (LMS or any other) to inform you of your state emissions laws, EPA standards, or anything else. It is up to you to understand these laws and know what you can do to your car/truck/bike, etc.

In CO we have zero emissions on new cars for the first 7 years...so you can have a lot of fun until then. After that it is every other year. If you are willing to swap back to original parts every two years you can run what you want! In my case, I don't want to. I would rather rebuild a motor, or build a new motor, than swap exhaust parts for an emissions test. That said, because I did my research, I know I don't want the DP's.

Just sayin'!
2011 Lincoln MKS - Stock for now...but not for long.

Suddueth13

Bumping an old thread but just wanted to share a bit of info. In the ST community, the Vibrant j-bend defouler is the go to for catted and catless downpipes. No P0420 triggers with stock tune or tune that leaves the rear O2's turned on. Not sure if anyone has used or had any success on these platforms with that particular style of defouler.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-11620?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-vibrant-performance&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIisW5w8XZ2QIVELXACh33fQYEEAQYAiABEgI8d_D_BwE
2013 MKS EcoBoost: Osram LED interior and license plate lights, stock otherwise.