• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

SHO Audio Upgrade Questions

Started by zoodragon, January 15, 2017, 05:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lamrith

So I noticed something this morning in regards to audio quality.

"FM" - sounds meh no real definition, just muddy with not much punch.
"FM HD" - sounds better, best sound of all formats actually, noticeably more punch though still a bit muddy in midranges.
XM Radio - Worst of all of them, totally tinny sounding, almost has a hiss to it like you are listening over VHS radio like on a boat.

Just thought I would share.  The HD definitely had a much better sound to it which makes me wonder if part of it is signalling as much as radio/speakers.  I need to get a known good DVD and try it in the car next, and USB drive stick as well.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

Macgyver

XM/Sirius are less than 128kbs so crappy compressed sound.

HD Radio is compressed but not as badly so HD radio should sound better.

XM uses an audio codec known as HE-AAC, or aacPlus v1. It's designed to deliver higher quality audio at bitrates lower than 96 kbps (192 kbps MP3). Sirius uses a less efficient codec called ePAC, which takes more data to deliver at the same quality as HE-AAC. XM also uses the AMBE codec for its voice only data channels, aka the robot voice channels, which uses a mere 4 kbps.

SHOdded

Yup both signal and equipment play into what you ultimately hear, along with the "shape" of the listening room.  Focusing on equipment, while they may state they accommodate multiple sound formats, usually there is a "native" format, one they are really good at, the rest is good or merely acceptable for compatibility purposes.  Just like HDTV.  Most really are not that great with non-HD video.  I am sure a modder could easily elevate the performance of audio equipment in vehicles, there are SO many weak points in the chain from incoming signal to outgoing sound.  The compactness of things poses a real challenge.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

lamrith

Yeah input quality definitely matters.  I was just a bit surprised that the formats were quite so different.  Hate std radio with commercials, but Sat quality so tiny that not enjoyable either...  Gotta get that USB stick all setup! then swap out speakers.

Just read this over on Taurus forum.  It is from 2013, but pretty telling about why so many find the top tier Sony system so lacking..
Quote from: 2011TAURUSSELAlso I am just a lowly SEL person so I can't speak for the rear deck but the Kenwoods in the Doors made a world of difference in the sound over OEM Also make note that the same part numbers show for all door speakers whether it is the regular, middle or SONY sound system. It also goes to show that no matter what the sound system is if the sound is being pushed through $7.00 speakers then thats what the sound will be like.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

SHOdded

Only so much joy through equalization :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

lamrith

Quote from: SHOdded on July 25, 2017, 03:37:06 PM
Only so much joy through equalization :)
A system is only as good as it's weakest part.  The Sony head unit and EQ could be phenominal, (they are probably pretty good and better than stock system)  bet when you feed that nice clean signal to a pair of crap speakers you lose all that performance and end up with a wet noodle sound system.

My debate right now is a bunch of 6x8's or adapters and go 6.5's which should sound even better and probably provide better mid/low punch and clarity. 

Funny part is all the differing info I see on the web about the Taurus.  5x7 or 6x8 in doors (same mount from what I am finding so not that important), 6x8 or 6x9 rear deck.  I am going to pull a door panel and maybe rear deck off sometime soon and get some actual measurements myself before I buy replacements.

SHOdded

lamrith

Well I finally started the upgrade.  I have had all the parts sitting here for a month and just no time to do eet!  I am starting with the door speakers out of the gate and will see how it goes.

VEHICLE: 2013 SHO PP

I am converting to more std 6.5" round speakers both for wide selection of speakers and better sound.  This is a prelim post, I only have one speaker installed so far, but it was simple bolt in so I wanted to very to folks that 6.5" do fit.  All the various thread seem to have back and forth, one person says they fit, another they do not.  I can tell you with certainty that 6.5" round speakers fit in the front doors with  the listed adapter rings.

You will need:

• 6.5" Speakers
  • Speaker mount adapters
  • wiring adapters
  • 9/32" socket
  • 6.5mm socket (I used 1/4")
  • 8mm socket
  • 10mm socket
  • Panel removal tool
  • Phillips head screwdriver
  • whatever screw driver/wrench needed for screws included in your speaker package.
  • tape
  • seal pick is handy
I went with:
Total $126.68.

For a quick tutorial I watched this video.  One important note is that he says two phillips along bottom (was on a 2010), My 2013 had two 9/32" bolts.  PLEASE NOTE:  resist temptation of hangning the panel from the door release cable.  I though it would just be a moment, but now my door release is no longer smooth and I think I kinked the cable.

Once you have door off old speaker just unscrews using the 1/4" or 6.5mm socket.  Ope the adapter mount package and open your speaker package.  Your speakers should come with folded blind nuts as shown. 

Lay the speaker in the mount and note were the holes line up.  Take your blind nuts and tape them in place on the mount where they will be used.  I did this because my speakers covered the 4 bolt locations to install the mount to the door. so I had to install mount into door, then speaker into mount. 
Old and new speaker plus install parts.  You can see the blind nuts taped in place.

I will wrap this up tomorrow night when I get the second set installed....  stay tuned!

SHOdded

How did your Metra adapters work out?  They were a terrible fit for my Edge, 3 out of 4 I had to trim about 2mm off the plug to fit into the OEM harness.  ugly solution but it worked, otherwise it would not latch on.

lamrith

Only have one speaker installed, but it plugged right in for me with no issue.  I will be completing the install tonight and post again with rest of install.

Dxlnt1

Quote from: bpd1151 on July 21, 2017, 07:52:36 PM
I did have a MASSIVE one-off, custom audio upgrade done this past spring.

Those who saw/heard it 1st hand while attending the 2017 Ford National's will attest to it's performance therein.

However, due to recent Photobucket changes that prevent 3rd party hosting (at least until I decide IF I want to flip for their $400 recurring, annual fee) the images are in limbo at the moment.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I did an upgrade not nearly as uh over the top of some rich people here, but substantial nonetheless.

While the factory setup works, if want AWESOME sound you should go aftermarket. I believe Metra still makes a kit that fits SHO with/without NAV.

http://www.metraonline.com/part/99-5722

Or if you can find the discontinued Scosche model.

https://www.amazon.com/Scosche-FD1447B-2010-Up-Taurus-Double/dp/B0057RIQWU
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

lamrith

Additional note to self (and anyone reading).
Make sure to get the door lock indicator up thru the panel before/as you re-instal the door panel.

Mine is inside the door someplace so the door does not want to open.  Fun game of whak-a-mole trying to get into car.  Have to time as hit unlock button and catch the mechanism before to rebounds back to locked position and disconnects the door handle... :judge:

SHOdded

lamrith

Promised a follow up..

Speakers have been in for just over 2 months now.  Install was so simple I didn't think it made sense to do a full write up.  Hardest part is door panel removal which is covered in a bunch of youtube videos better than I could ever explain it.  After that it is literally plug and play with the parts I listed.

One note/recommendation.  use a piece of clear scotch tape to tape each of the metal clips in place on the adapter.  Otherwise they fall out, repeatedly, and every time you look at them, and then again when you breath..  Ask me how I know. 

Sound overall was/is much improved.  Tighter is best way I can describe it.  Sirius and HD radio both still are tiny.  Cancelled Sirius lastnight, love the channels, but audio just bad and I am not going to pay monthly for poor audio.  I will post  new thread about mp3 here shortly.  Long and short, my known good MP3's sound pretty darn good with the current setup and looking to build library on usb stick and just run that and/or stream from phone.

Macgyver

Having the Dual USB drives is awesome. All I do is random my thumb drives.