• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

SHO Audio Upgrade Questions

Started by zoodragon, January 15, 2017, 05:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoodragon

Well i hate the way the factory setup sounds (Sony W/ Nav)

Id like to upgrade to something a little better and have a few questions:

First, Im reading that swapping out to another DSP will remove all the neat Sync features that my wife loves and would murder me if i removed. Plus im seeing you lose factory volume control. is there any way around this?

Second, if there's no way around having to lose sync, i guess ill just look toward upgrading the $1.95 "premium" Sony Speakers. 

My thoughts are to swap out the doors with something better. no need to go crazy since id be at the mercy of the factory amp/dsp. something like some jbl GT7s. (if i can power them id swap this for some hertz/morels)

leave the factory center channels and tweeters alone. they seem to be ok.

either remove the "subwoofer" 6x9s the rear deck has so the subs can breath or swap them out to something less rattley and boomy that would help with mids. maybe a matching jbl GT series. 

a couple soundqubed 12s in a ported box and a matching amp in the trunk and a lc2i later and hopefully i can be happier with it.

right?

Thoughts? Concerns? tips? pictures of tacos?

Gjkrisa

you will not lose volume control using a dsp if you get your signal after the factory amp maybe you will lose option of sync giving you the wierd sound surround sound but the dsp can do that too with tweaking if it has audio delay/timing
there is another user on here that did that using a http://www.audiocontrol.com/car-audio/digital-signal-processors/dm-810/
its what id use also to get the most outputs for such a cheap price compared to audison
this dsp will get you active crossovers so you dont lose power using passive they lose alot converting turned into heat and better control of db levels of matching each speaker output.
2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

zoodragon

hmm so if i pickup a single from post DSP/AMP ill be ok? i dont care about losing the sync surround stuff but dont wanna lose bluetooth and volume control.

anyone here using the jl fix stuff? self calibrate sounds nice

glock-coma

I'm using a jbl ms-8 and I'm still retaining all sync functions.
The key is getting the full range signal AFTER the amp.
All sync functions are processed in the amp/acm.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

B198301

You can now get rid of the factory amp and keep all factory features. Axxess has a new interface out called AX-DSP.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eD80LaT2jKY

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

FearlessAZ

Quote from: B198301 on February 22, 2017, 09:47:41 PM
You can now get rid of the factory amp and keep all factory features. Axxess has a new interface out called AX-DSP.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eD80LaT2jKY

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I will definitely look into that more for a little more oomph
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)

LostnEye

RF has a new DSP coming out in the spring that should work as well. I also I have to find where I saw info about changing things in forscan to make the outputs from the deck include the sync audio and variable output. They are from the factory fixed output and the Sony amp will change volume. Its supposedly and makes sense to me much cleaner this way.
2013 Tuxedo Black/Mayan Grey PP, GH AO, GH IC, H&Rs, AD mounts

Gjkrisa

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

lamrith

So I am no looking at an upgrade to my Sony/nav system in my '13 SHO.  Looking for some more punch and warmth to the sound.  The system just does not have a full bodied richer sound, it is a bit tiny, and boosting mid/low on the head unit does not help.

I read on another ford forum (taurus/fusion/focus?) that people saw a notable improvement just replacing the speakers themselves and nothing else.  Has anyone tried this?

Researching shows we have 6x8's in the doors and that there are adapter plates that make it so you can mount 6.5's in those stock location has anyone done that?

I thougt BPD had a big audio install thread that might help, but I cannot find it and his was a super custom install so likely not using stock locations?
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

SHOdded

A MASSIVE install, literally :D  But I don't think a thread was setup on EBPF.  He did have it at Carlisle and it did very well.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

bpd1151

I did have a MASSIVE one-off, custom audio upgrade done this past spring.

Those who saw/heard it 1st hand while attending the 2017 Ford National's will attest to it's performance therein.

However, due to recent Photobucket changes that prevent 3rd party hosting (at least until I decide IF I want to flip for their $400 recurring, annual fee) the images are in limbo at the moment.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

polskifacet

You may get better quality but it will never be louder. You would have to have aftermarket amps for it to be louder/pound. Putting in an adjustable subwoofer will suffice for most people.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

SHOdded

Quality first, volume second :)    It took a while for bpd's build to come together because he wanted both to be first :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

lamrith

Yeah I am not really looking for more volume, just more depth and quality to the sound.  What I am reading is pointing me to installing 6.5" 2 or 3 way units to replace the stock 6x8.  Though some people on taurus forum say even replacing the stockers with midrange 6x8's nets a marked improvement.  Then maybe I install a 10" sub if I still need more punch.

Def not wanting to cut the car up, looking for drop in replacement in stock aside from the 10" in an enclosure..
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

LostnEye

I have 6.5s up front but have custom mounts replacing the factory plastic 6x8 mount. I'm sure you can do it with just adapters. I can't comment on improvement of just speakers because I had a full system done all at once.
2013 Tuxedo Black/Mayan Grey PP, GH AO, GH IC, H&Rs, AD mounts