• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Cold weather - how is your ecoboost running?

Started by paokara777, December 20, 2016, 11:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paokara777

Mine is taking a bit longer than usual to start, and seems to be idling rough sometimes
(it usually doesn't get better when it warms up, however sometimes even when cold it doesn't idle rough so it is random)

Anyone else notice any differences in cold weather?

i suspect i might have a fouled plug, thoughts?
Daily Drive:
2010 Ford Taurus SHO, AJP 3BAR 93, K&N drop in
Weekend Cruiser:
1968 Ford Mustang Coupe 289 C Code
4Bl Carb, HiPo Cam, Headers and Exhaust

derfdog15

Quote from: paokara777 on December 20, 2016, 11:09:02 AM
Mine is taking a bit longer than usual to start, and seems to be idling rough sometimes
(it usually doesn't get better when it warms up, however sometimes even when cold it doesn't idle rough so it is random)

Anyone else notice any differences in cold weather?

i suspect i might have a fouled plug, thoughts?
My start time is not changed due to weather at this time, and my idle is pretty normal, though I stay in high idle a bit longer due it temperature. Car is still silky smooth 99% of the time though.
Mine takes a bit longer to warm up, trans temp stays pretty cool as does cylinder head temp. Coolant warms up a bit slower than usual. At highway speeds, due to the temps, my RPMs are a bit higher than in the past, but not a huge deal. there is also some slight shudder at certain times before a shift where the torque converter locks/unlocks a bit extra in order to heat things up. Here is the feedback I got when asking about some things I saw. The fuel pressure is not a concern, as I now know, and Brad (AJPTurbo) added a bit more fuel globally to my tune which seems to have me fully sorted out.

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,7154.msg109219.html#msg109219
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

paokara777

yeah i noticed some trans shudder as well before the transmission warms up
Daily Drive:
2010 Ford Taurus SHO, AJP 3BAR 93, K&N drop in
Weekend Cruiser:
1968 Ford Mustang Coupe 289 C Code
4Bl Carb, HiPo Cam, Headers and Exhaust

SHOdded

There is SOME improvement with custom tunes, especially with trans behavior.  But yeah best to drive gently until the trans temp hits triple digits at a minimum.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

thmullan

We were consistently about -35 to -40 degrees Celcius for about ten days and my SHO ran just fine. 
She was garaged and had the block heater plugged in overnight but zero problems so far this winter.
2014 Tuxedo Black Metallic SHO
AirRaid CAI, SW Downpipes, Corsa exhaust. 

2014 Honda CBR 1000RR
1968 Chrysler 300 TNT Convertible

ZSHO

I saw a huge improvement since changing my evap purge valve solenoid which completely fixed my rough idle and would also throw in a bottle or two of Heet preferably the yellow bottle before throwing money at random parts.
Do you have torque pro? you can certainly monitor your 02 sensors and check to see they need to be changed especially if original. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

jims2015

After reading a lot of posts on this subject I didn't know what to expect. But I can say mine runs as good as ever even with today's single digit temps and I didn't dial back on any tunes.
2015 PP, Thunderstorm DP & CAI. AlkyControl, Livernois dyno tune

2019 Corvette C7 Z51 A8 No mods

SHOdded

Quote from: jims2015 on December 20, 2016, 04:11:57 PM
After reading a lot of posts on this subject I didn't know what to expect. But I can say mine runs as good as ever even with today's single digit temps and I didn't dial back on any tunes.
Thats the way it should be!  Enjoy :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BlueSHO

My 16 has been flawless

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

SHOdded

SHOwoosh

I'd say mine runs great also but it's a balmy 74 here in the sunshine state.  :sun:
2011 SHO PP fully loaded.

Uleashed 93 3bar. Stock everything else. Best run 12.88

Now AJP 3bar still all stock otherwise. Times to come

ecoboostsho

Ran mine at -25 here in MN and it was flawless (after letting it warm up of course). Trans takes forever to warm up though....

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

StealBlueSho

2010 SHO runs great in the cold single digits.. no issues... A bit more road vibration from the tires being harder from the cold. I did notice on colder starts that there is more fuel smell coming from the tail pipes.. but I have HFC DPs...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

MiWiAu

I experienced very minor (but noticeable) rough idle for the first time yesterday morning on my way to work while sitting in traffic.

Temperatures this morning were within 2 degrees of where they were yesterday and no rough idle. The only change? Last night I drained just a hair over 13 oz of liquid (903 SE WI winter miles worth) from my OCC. I tried draining it around 700 miles, but my drain was frozen due to cold temps.

Could be pure coincidence.
2013 XSport

SHOdded