• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Cleanside solutions?

Started by metroplex, December 19, 2016, 05:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiWiAu

Quote from: Agentlongwood on July 29, 2017, 11:37:18 PM
Sorry to pull up an older thread but I don't understand the distinction between clean and dirty side.  As I look at it the connection on the rear valve cover vacuums out vapors at idle, and the connection on the front valve cover vacuums out vapors when under boost.  Both sides look like they perform exactly the same function, so what makes the front connection "clean"?

In theory, the rear valve cover connection is where "dirty" air exits the crankcase (think exhaust), and the front connection is where "clean" air enters the crankcase (think intake).

When the front cleanside "vacuums out under boost", this is how oil can be ingested into the charge pipes.

The cleanside separator is supposed to help separate oil from the vapors before it re-enters the intake. On my setup, I vented my cleanside to atmosphere with a breather filter to completely eliminate oil ingestion under boost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

Agentlongwood

Ok so at idle, air is being pulled into the "clean side" port due to vacuum from the dirty side intake manifold.  And under boost air is being sucked out of the "clean side" port by the vacuum created by the intake side of the turbo.  Just making sure I've got that correct, because I'm new to a lot of this stuff.  Seems like you could just add a check valve to the factory line from the front valve cover, so it only allows air in not out, and that would make it actually clean, lol.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

MiWiAu

Quote from: Agentlongwood on July 30, 2017, 10:34:18 AM
Ok so at idle, air is being pulled into the "clean side" port due to vacuum from the dirty side intake manifold.  And under boost air is being sucked out of the "clean side" port by the vacuum created by the intake side of the turbo.  Just making sure I've got that correct, because I'm new to a lot of this stuff.  Seems like you could just add a check valve to the factory line from the front valve cover, so it only allows air in not out, and that would make it actually clean, lol.

You got it!

Problem with a check valve, though, is you would build pressure in the crankcase, and the air needs to go somewhere. Could cause a valve cover gasket blowout or some other gasket/seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

Agentlongwood

Gotcha.  And under boost the gasses couldn't escape from the crank through the PCV because the manifold is pressurized.  I think I'm getting the hang of this lol.  My idea for a frankenstein setup with zero gunk getting into the intake is this:

Front valve cover has a breather filter, but with a check valve behind it so air can only go in, not out.  Rear valve cover has one line with a check valve so air can only go out of the crank case, not in.  This line goes to a breather tank, which collects material like a catch can, but has a filter venting to atmosphere.  No return line to the intake tract or intake manifold or anything.  Any time the crankcase experiences negative pressure, filtered air comes in the front valve cover.  Any time the crankcase experiences positive pressure vapors escape through the rear cover.  The check valves ensure this is the only way air can move.  Now you have ZERO gunk getting back into the motor and also free up a port on the intake manifold to use for meth or what have you.

Any reason that setup wouldn't work?
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes