• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Cleanside solutions?

Started by metroplex, December 19, 2016, 05:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metroplex

Here are the pics.

I pulled the front BOV tube (still waiting on the K&N breathers to arrive) and after a short drive, I can feel fresh oil residue from the BOV itself.
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

MiWiAu

Nice. If you wanted to upgrade your OCC, you could use that connector on the intake pipe you capped and tee in to the outlet of your can. You'd want to add a check valve to that line and your manifold line. This would provide you with dirty side evacuation under boost and while cruising. You'd probably have to empty your can more often, though. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

ZSHO

Quote from: metroplex on December 24, 2016, 08:52:31 PM
Here are the pics.

I pulled the front BOV tube (still waiting on the K&N breathers to arrive) and after a short drive, I can feel fresh oil residue from the BOV itself.
Thanks for posting  some pics  :) and a thread is worthless without pic's,lol.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

metroplex

It'd be nice if I could drain the JLT without having to remove it.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

ZSHO

Quote from: metroplex on December 25, 2016, 08:09:43 AM
It'd be nice if I could drain the JLT without having to remove it.
I think its most notable that your seeing the can working as designed and you could always modify a drain relief valve or upgrade to a larger unit.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

metroplex

Did anyone not have their separator working? I'm still skeptical as it is only catching fuel vapors (very light petroleum vapors) and not actually engine oil. This stuff would probably burn fairly easily if ingested into the intake manifold.

For the cleanside, I'm just running that breather filter. The RXSpeedworks cleanside separator is basically an oil cap with 2 layers of mesh to prevent oil from seeping out of the vacuum tube. Their instructions say to drill and tap a barb for your airbox, or if you don't want to drill the airbox, you can mount a pod filter - which is basically the same as using a breather filter on the valve cover. Even though the airbox top is about $40 (AA5Z-9661-B) I'd rather not drill into it.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

MiWiAu

Mine captured much less material during warmer months and the stuff that was captured was what looked like a mixture of oil and water (more oil content). Some of what you're seeing now may be a by product of colder weather.

2013 XSport

MiWiAu

Quote from: metroplex on December 25, 2016, 08:40:34 AM
This stuff would probably burn fairly easily if ingested into the intake manifold.

I'm skeptical. I make my own ethanol free fuel and the byproduct (ethanol/water solution) does not burn off easily.

You could shake it up and pour it into a metal container and try lighting to see if it burns. My guess is you probably won't be able to sustain a burn from that mixture, and if that's the case, I would think that having that pass to the combustion chamber would rob you of a little power and/or efficiency (but probably not substantial).

2013 XSport

metroplex

Im not sure a match or lighter would be the same as the combustion chamber conditions? But wouldn't a bit of water or fuel vapor help clean the system or would it just contribute to carbon.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

MiWiAu

Quote from: metroplex on December 25, 2016, 02:55:28 PM
Im not sure a match or lighter would be the same as the combustion chamber conditions? But wouldn't a bit of water or fuel vapor help clean the system or would it just contribute to carbon.

Definitely not the same conditions as a combustion chamber, but I wouldn't recommend holding a match or lighter next to a bucket full of gasoline either. ;)

Water wouldn't contribute to carbon. It's just hydrogen and oxygen. Byproducts of fuel combustion could/do contribute, which is why the valves coke on DI.

I think if that stuff in your can would help keep the valves clean, then the stock engines with no OCC wouldn't have coking issues.

I guess one other possible benefit is maintaining better consistency in the cylinders. If you're tuned and running in very high humidity, perhaps a functioning can could help keep more moisture out of the combustion chamber and allow more consistent performance.

Dunno if anyone has done any experiments with OCC starting with clean valves to see if it truly prevents or significantly delays valve coking, but I feel better about myself as a person not letting that stuff back into the engine. LOL

2013 XSport

metroplex

I just collected more of that clear/yellow fluid and used a match. It lit up very easily and didn't extinguish the match, but it wouldn't catch fire or stay lit by itself when the match was removed. The burning seemed to remove some of the fluid, but left some soot in the process.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Newfang

Would it be possible/beneficial to put a can in that line going from the front valve cover to the air inlet.  Just replace the straight tube that is there? Instead of capping and using a breather filter or am I totally missing how the clean side separators work?

metroplex

I put a breather on that valve cover and it didn't catch much oil mist at all. That port only blows mist into the fresh air tract under boost. Otherwise the vacuum from the crankcase pulls fresh air from the fresh air tract (like an old school breather tube with that foam or sponge sitting in the carb airbox).

Honestly, the oil that pools in the intercooler and ducting doesn't seem to come from the PCV system. The PCV side sends the vapors to be burned in the intake manifold. The cleanside just doesn't produce enough oil mist to be an issue, and if it does, then you have serious problems with the engine. The only benefit to something like the TracyLews/RX/UPR/JLT is to reduce the amount of vapors that can collect on the intake valves.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Agentlongwood

Sorry to pull up an older thread but I don't understand the distinction between clean and dirty side.  As I look at it the connection on the rear valve cover vacuums out vapors at idle, and the connection on the front valve cover vacuums out vapors when under boost.  Both sides look like they perform exactly the same function, so what makes the front connection "clean"?
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

ZSHO

I believe 90%- 95% of the bad stuff comes out of the dirty side via- PCV and ingested through the baffle and inside the oil separator.

The front clean side separator works independently which only contributes to 5%-10% and can be added as a stand-alone product. Z