• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Horrendous Rear Break Noise in Reverse - 2017 MKZ

Started by 14SHOCAR, December 18, 2016, 10:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

14SHOCAR

Well -- here we go. First documented problem with the MKZ. We got hit by some major snow this weekend. I was out driving my car to run a few local errands, and I parked the car in our indoor heated garage. A few hours later (after the snow had melted off my car + wheel wells), I leave to run a few more errands. When I put the car into reverse, I get the following squeaking noise:

https://youtu.be/NnLHFQOQ0Ig

I drove forward before taking the video to see if maybe the rear brakes were stuck somehow. It rolled forward perfectly, without any brake noise. I then put it in reverse and took the video. The feeling in the wheel was almost like the emergency brake was on -- but you can tell that when I let off the brake, It doesn't squeal. I put the car into park and looked at my rear brakes and they weren't rusted or didn't have any snow or ice on them.

It's was very strange. After I drove forward around the block, I didn't have any issues with the reverse squeal nor has it come back. Any ideas?????

18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

derfdog15

My mustang typically does this when things get cold/wet and it sits for a bit. No visible signs of rust, but a bit of squeel, which goes away after the brakes have heat cycles a bit.

My best guess is that temperature causes some weird expansion/compression somewhere, that is fixed after heat cycling. I have not noticed this type of thing on my SHO, but it has been a while since it has sat outside in any type of adverse condition.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

14SHOCAR

Quote from: derfdog15 on December 18, 2016, 10:42:58 PM
My best guess is that temperature causes some weird expansion/compression somewhere, that is fixed after heat cycling. I have not noticed this type of thing on my SHO, but it has been a while since it has sat outside in any type of adverse condition.

I know, I've had this issue too with previous cars. The vibration and sound was VERY loud -- louder than usual.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

SHOdded

How many miles on the MKZ?  Are the brakes bedded in yet?  Probably slide pins need lubed.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

14SHOCAR

Quote from: SHOdded on December 18, 2016, 11:17:33 PM
How many miles on the MKZ?  Are the brakes bedded in yet?  Probably slide pins need lubed.

About 700 Miles. Good call on the pins.
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)