• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Oil leaking around rear turbo with pics

Started by Fozzforded, November 27, 2016, 09:04:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fozzforded

The water has gotten too deep for me on trying to at least identify where this leak is coming from.  I'm trying to get the turbo to catalytic nuts off going through the wheel well but there isn't much room and the nuts are badly rusted...I ve soaked them over night but almost conceded the loss on their removal. 
Is there any easy identification as to what's up with these pics?

First couple are looking up at wastegate arm and oils supply and one looking down from atop.

The other is of the map sensor area and shows considerable seepage but haven't opened anything around there yet.

I did check the cac for oil via dip stick how to while up on ramps and did see .7 or so mm oil.  Didnt get a chance to pull the oil but will do what I can with shopvac reducer setup.

This sho is 100% completely stock...argh
Drives without codes but has the oil burning smell at a stop light even with light footed drives.  I'm not a heavy foot as I've been worried about the smell for a few months now and recently got time off to try and address it.

Please feel free to advise.

Thank you

ZSHO

I guess for starters would address the rear BOV by removing the two bolts with an 8mm socket and its probably leaking oil from there due to the rubber gasket inside coming off or worn out and trickling down to the hot exhaust and make sure to check the oil level and IMHO would NOT drive it for the time being. Z                            http://www.tascaparts.com/ford/taurus/aa5z9u465a/2011-year/sho-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/cooling-system-cat/intercooler-scat/?part_name=valve

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Fozzforded

Morning Z.

Thanks for giving me a heads up on its drivability.  I've got time today to putt around and try and loosen some bolts but with the time that I've already spent and given my current impasse I might be done investigating the rear turbo with the catalytic off.   I thought if I could get the cat off then I might be able to pull some other items off or at least get some better pics of visual evidence.

With the mirror I've got a sense that the oil around the turbo isn't coming from the engine block connection side of the oils supply tube but can't be sure where is starts.  The first 3 pics show the oil supplly oil soaked but nearest engine block the tube is bone dry. 

I'll get going on taking off the BOV and try to pull some of the oil in the CAC.

Thanks Z

ZSHO

Fozzforded can you possibly provide us with some overhead pic's of the engine bay preferably on top of the manifold and firewall area near rear turbo,thanks.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Fozzforded

Sorry for delay Z, my attention had been completely hijacked by a family member looking to cash in on a overdue request to just fix there home😨

Survived, barely..

Not sure how close you want buy I did get some and will grab a few more closer ups from atop.

Sadly I'm not gaining traction on the cat bolt nuts even after days of sitting soaked and tapped several times..  I guess caution is a virtue even when a nut is only on at 30 lbs ft and seized.
Looking forward to getting this cat off to be able to investigate the condition of the oil supply to rear turbo.  Fingers crossed I get there and the line is found obviously leaking.

Beer that

ZSHO

Sorry to hear about all the troubles man and hope for the best.....see lots of oil by the intake charge pipe and as mentioned earlier the bov and all the visible oil is coming from the bov IMO,any oil on the air intake??also check the PCV valve and BTW highlighted some pics below for ya,check the air filter to make sure its not restricted with oil and regarding the bolts there not going to come off that easily without an air impact wrench.IDK  Z      :beer2:        

Fozzforded

sorry I didn't realize how 'novel' i was getting!  I'll be as succinct as a dove fart...my apologies!

I compared the Bov to the left side and they compare well for sound and movement even though the right side was slicked with oil but cleaned up pretty nice. 
Does the left side have a 3 bar and the right a 2?   My car is stock and thought i read that the front was 3 on stock?  I might have put the 2 on the front and really have no way of knowing anymore. 

The rear turbo appears -but not 100% confirmed- to be passing oil into intake tube and looks like its been accumulating on the walls for a long time what with the ripply and cave like growth.  Is this more than just the EGR junk accumulation?  I thought that the intake boot that attaches to the compressor side would have oil seeping around the seat but that doesn't appear to be the case. 

Can anyone please chime in and give me some idea as to what might cause the oil supply line only to leak around this turbo?

If the oil supply is leaking (check) and the intake side of the turbo is growing junk(check ), what probability is this leaning for a turbo removal and re/place-build?

No codes and does seem to produce adequate boost still but I've been pretty ginger with her for the last 6 months.   

I did happen to pick up a bluetooth android to use with some app...is there a particular app that might have more features to help me diagnose the turbo's health?

Appreciated

derfdog15

Quote from: Fozzforded on December 15, 2016, 03:39:47 PM
sorry I didn't realize how 'novel' i was getting!  I'll be as succinct as a dove fart...my apologies!

I compared the Bov to the left side and they compare well for sound and movement even though the right side was slicked with oil but cleaned up pretty nice. 
Does the left side have a 3 bar and the right a 2?   My car is stock and thought i read that the front was 3 on stock?  I might have put the 2 on the front and really have no way of knowing anymore. 

The rear turbo appears -but not 100% confirmed- to be passing oil into intake tube and looks like its been accumulating on the walls for a long time what with the ripply and cave like growth.  Is this more than just the EGR junk accumulation?  I thought that the intake boot that attaches to the compressor side would have oil seeping around the seat but that doesn't appear to be the case. 

Can anyone please chime in and give me some idea as to what might cause the oil supply line only to leak around this turbo?

If the oil supply is leaking (check) and the intake side of the turbo is growing junk(check ), what probability is this leaning for a turbo removal and re/place-build?

No codes and does seem to produce adequate boost still but I've been pretty ginger with her for the last 6 months.   

I did happen to pick up a bluetooth android to use with some app...is there a particular app that might have more features to help me diagnose the turbo's health?

Appreciated

Stock the MAP sensor on the manifold is a 2 bar, the part number will be different from a 3 bar.
Here is an install and ID video for the 3-bar, that shows where I am talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6sZh8NKE6g

I would say a turbo leaking oil, and gunking up is a sign that it may need rebuilt/replaced, but could be an issue with a line fitting or something simple as well.

For apps, many on the forums use Torque and FORScan. There should be plenty of threads about both apps.

I would suggest monitoring any turbo related parameters, such as temperature, waste gate duty cycle, boost pressure, etc.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

pmezo33

Quote from: Fozzforded on December 15, 2016, 03:39:47 PM

You can try replacing the banjo bolt on the supply line with a new copper washer.  You can also try replacing the return line on the bottom of the turbo.  If those two don't fix your leak, you probably blew a seal and the only way to fix it is by replacing it.  Tasca sells them for about $500 with a $250 core charge.

ZSHO

I will check to see tomorrow if i can locate the updated version PDF with pic's on install/removal of the RH turbo rear bank,due LMK.
I'm just hoping its not the case here because its certainly not an easy task by far.  Z   https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8JUL90DXgdiUlhqNzlzcWNBUmFvcEhQM0h4ZmpicmFvc25r/view

Fozzforded

Thank you for the replies.

I'm subscribed to Alldatadiy.com for reference and am hoping that there is short cut to be found around the sub frame removal as its a 29 step juggernaut that happens to call the subframe removal a mere step. 

As outlined from the manual for rear turbo removal: 

step 7... subframe removal
step 29 (the last step):  remove oil supply tube banjo bolt

Thanks for the manual link Zsho.  It shows a slightly more condensed version of the same steps which I'm guessing doesn't take into account my tenacious slightly arthritic dexterity.

Im gonna give this more attention on Saturday and just skip the subframe step and see where that gets me. 

Call me crazy if you know better.

Thanks again 

pmezo33

Quote from: ZSHO on December 15, 2016, 05:06:07 PM
I will check to see tomorrow if i can locate the updated version PDF with pic's on install/removal of the RH turbo rear bank,due LMK.
I'm just hoping its not the case here because its certainly not an easy task by far.  Z   https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8JUL90DXgdiUlhqNzlzcWNBUmFvcEhQM0h4ZmpicmFvc25r/view

Thanks for posting that.  Do you have these directions for the other turbo too?  Definitely good info in there.