• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

AJPTurbo boost regulator mod with EcoPowerParts charge pipes

Started by derfdog15, December 17, 2016, 07:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

Quote from: ZSHO on December 19, 2016, 10:42:32 AM
Definitely agree with StealBlueSho but IMO would use a high-heat temp silicone coupler/adapter like HPS which make a varirty of configurations. Z
So I took AJP suggestion and went with a small section of radiator hose. The one I purchased was prebent.. so I cut it according to how the bend went from the outlet to the dump pipe...I used a PVC saw (small teeth)to make the quick cut and followed up with a razor to smooth it out.

Radiator hose isn't going melt. And the heat coming off the pipe there is fairly benign..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

derfdog15

Definitely agree with StealBlueSho but IMO would use a high-heat temp silicone coupler/adapter like HPS which make a wide variety of configurations. Z
https://www.hps-siliconehoses.com/

I bought my hump connector from silicon intakes. Looks to be identical to the ones that came with the charge pipe kit from EPP, other than being bare with regards to the ecopowerparts logo. They are a high quality supplier, and prices are extremely reasonable. HPS would work as well, and i believe they also sell prebent aluminum tubing that could work (though the pricing is about 2x what I payed for mine and I am not sure it has bead rolled ends (not necessarily needed when cutting, but nice to be able to weld a small bead rolled end section onto the end, and have a better connection with the silicon clamp).

Quote from: StealBlueSho on December 19, 2016, 10:25:38 AM
There is nothing wrong with a bit of rubber hose and a couple clamps...If you look at pictures of AJP's setup it was pretty clean..Without having to spend a lot of money on pipes/welding/fab... Just saying....I think total  I spent around $75.. and that includes the clamps, vacuum hose, Tee's, rubber hose, and custom bent dump pipe with the vband welded to it...

After the install it was pretty clean looking... The pictures I posted were just the rough in... I spent a bit of time and cleaned up rubber hose, positioning, etc...

Quote from: StealBlueSho on December 19, 2016, 10:48:16 AM
Definitely agree with StealBlueSho but IMO would use a high-heat temp silicone coupler/adapter like HPS which make a varirty of configurations. Z
So I took AJP suggestion and went with a small section of radiator hose. The one I purchased was prebent.. so I cut it according to how the bend went from the outlet to the dump pipe...I used a PVC saw (small teeth)to make the quick cut and followed up with a razor to smooth it out.

Radiator hose isn't going melt. And the heat coming off the pipe there is fairly benign..

I do not believe there will be much heat here, if any as you mentioned. At most it would see the max IAT2 temps or slightly higher, which will almost never be more than 200F. Almost all silicon clamps can handle those temperatures, and radiator hose should easily handle that as well, given most OE cooling systems use a 190 degree thermostat, and run 210 degree coolant at a minimum

I totally agree, that both you and AJP made it look pretty good, the only reason I can't replicate that exactly is that I am using the aluminum charge pipes because i wanted to go with a TiAL BOV and I fear cracked stock pipes from what I have seen happen to others.

I ended up on the current solution because of the info from you guys about how rigid/supportive the radiator hose connection worked out.

That said, I am a sucker for all black everything, so once the welding is done, I will get it all coated black, or paint it myself. If I had been able to order the charge pipes with a small spout of aluminum pipe (similar to the noisemaker pipe) then I would have just put a coupler on that and not had to worry about welding on the aluminum. The silicon hump hose connector is pretty rigid, so I expect it will work in the same manner as the previous iterations on the stock plastic piping.

Still, should work out pretty well, as I can have my buddy weld it up pretty cheap.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

StealBlueSho

Quote from: derfdog15 on December 19, 2016, 10:55:39 AM
Definitely agree with StealBlueSho but IMO would use a high-heat temp silicone coupler/adapter like HPS which make a wide variety of configurations. Z
https://www.hps-siliconehoses.com/

I bought my hump connector from silicon intakes. Looks to be identical to the ones that came with the charge pipe kit from EPP, other than being bare with regards to the ecopowerparts logo. They are a high quality supplier, and prices are extremely reasonable. HPS would work as well, and i believe they also sell prebent aluminum tubing that could work (though the pricing is about 2x what I payed for mine and I am not sure it has bead rolled ends (not necessarily needed when cutting, but nice to be able to weld a small bead rolled end section onto the end, and have a better connection with the silicon clamp).

Quote from: StealBlueSho on December 19, 2016, 10:25:38 AM
There is nothing wrong with a bit of rubber hose and a couple clamps...If you look at pictures of AJP's setup it was pretty clean..Without having to spend a lot of money on pipes/welding/fab... Just saying....I think total  I spent around $75.. and that includes the clamps, vacuum hose, Tee's, rubber hose, and custom bent dump pipe with the vband welded to it...

After the install it was pretty clean looking... The pictures I posted were just the rough in... I spent a bit of time and cleaned up rubber hose, positioning, etc...

Quote from: StealBlueSho on December 19, 2016, 10:48:16 AM

I do not believe there will be much heat here, if any as you mentioned. At most it would see the max IAT2 temps or slightly higher, which will almost never be more than 200F. Almost all silicon clamps can handle those temperatures, and radiator hose should easily handle that as well, given most OE cooling systems use a 190 degree thermostat, and run 210 degree coolant at a minimum

I totally agree, that both you and AJP made it look pretty good, the only reason I can't replicate that exactly is that I am using the aluminum charge pipes because i wanted to go with a TiAL BOV and I fear cracked stock pipes from what I have seen happen to others.

I ended up on the current solution because of the info from you guys about how rigid/supportive the radiator hose connection worked out.

That said, I am a sucker for all black everything, so once the welding is done, I will get it all coated black, or paint it myself. If I had been able to order the charge pipes with a small spout of aluminum pipe (similar to the noisemaker pipe) then I would have just put a coupler on that and not had to worry about welding on the aluminum. The silicon hump hose connector is pretty rigid, so I expect it will work in the same manner as the previous iterations on the stock plastic piping.

Still, should work out pretty well, as I can have my buddy weld it up pretty cheap.
Good deal, I am stoked to see how it all turns out.

ZSHO

I Found that HPS makes aluminum tubing if you want to take that route and best of luck with your new project.  Z
  http://www.hps-siliconehoses.com/hps-6061-aluminum-tubing-pipe-t6.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

derfdog15

Quote from: ZSHO on December 19, 2016, 11:15:46 AM
I Found that HPS makes aluminum tubing if you want to take that route.  Z    http://www.hps-siliconehoses.com/hps-6061-aluminum-tubing-pipe-t6.html

Yeah I looked at their tubing, before I ended up going with the CXRacing tubing.

I also just realized, that when I posted the original post, I made a mistake. I actually bought tubing with a 75 degree bend.

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CXR&Product_Code=PIP175-75&Category_Code=PIP175

The CXRacing stuff also features bead rolled ends, which is pretty nice in an application that will see boost.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

ZSHO

Quote from: derfdog15 on December 19, 2016, 11:22:47 AM
I Found that HPS makes aluminum tubing if you want to take that route.  Z    http://www.hps-siliconehoses.com/hps-6061-aluminum-tubing-pipe-t6.html

Yeah I looked at their tubing, before I ended up going with the CXRacing tubing.

I also just realized, that when I posted the original post, I made a mistake. I actually bought tubing with a 75 degree bend.

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CXR&Product_Code=PIP175-75&Category_Code=PIP175

The CXRacing stuff also features bead rolled ends, which is pretty nice in an application that will see boost.
Well anyways best of luck on the newly found fountain of youth project. Z  :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

derfdog15

Quote from: ZSHO on December 19, 2016, 11:30:14 AM
Quote from: derfdog15 on December 19, 2016, 11:22:47 AM

Well anyways best of luck on the newly found fountain of youth project. Z  :)

Thanks Z, and I certainly appreciate your input, and the other members as well, I will update the posts as progress is made, and have updated the original post with links to the parts that I bought for anyone curious. I will certainly take pictures along the way of the fab, and try to make a How To as well once it is all said and done.

BOT_ROCKET

Silicon Intakes has aluminum V-band flanges, but I didn't see the right size on their chart, so I emailed them to ask if they had one that would work with the Tial MVS. This is their reply:

"Hello,

I have forwarded your inquiry to our Technical Expert and he has responded with the following:

Brand specific wastegate v-band inlet and outlet flanges such as Tial typically need to be purchased from the wastegate manufacturer. For example, although Tial and Turbosmart wastegate v-band flanges look alike they are manufactured differently and will not fit together or seal properly. Unfortunately, we do not carry these types of brand specific flanges.

Please contact us with any further questions or concerns.

Regards,

Joseph Covely
Customer Service
Silicone Intake Systems, Inc.
www.siliconeintakes.com
sales@siliconeintakes.com"

I suspect I would get the same reply from most other places that offer aluminum flanges. I'm going to take the new steel one that I ordered to the shop I worked at to see what a small batch would cost in aluminum. I know I could probably get a friend to make some out of scrap, but that would be frowned upon by the company and I don't want to get anyone in trouble.
'17 Fusion Sport 2.7l Ecoboost AWD
Ortiz Tune  (in progress)

2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1st stock run: 8.98 @ 77.15 MPH

derfdog15

Quote from: BOT_ROCKET on December 19, 2016, 11:39:34 PM
Silicon Intakes has aluminum V-band flanges, but I didn't see the right size on their chart, so I emailed them to ask if they had one that would work with the Tial MVS. This is their reply:

"Hello,

I have forwarded your inquiry to our Technical Expert and he has responded with the following:

Brand specific wastegate v-band inlet and outlet flanges such as Tial typically need to be purchased from the wastegate manufacturer. For example, although Tial and Turbosmart wastegate v-band flanges look alike they are manufactured differently and will not fit together or seal properly. Unfortunately, we do not carry these types of brand specific flanges.

Please contact us with any further questions or concerns.

Regards,

Joseph Covely
Customer Service
Silicone Intake Systems, Inc.
www.siliconeintakes.com
sales@siliconeintakes.com"

I suspect I would get the same reply from most other places that offer aluminum flanges. I'm going to take the new steel one that I ordered to the shop I worked at to see what a small batch would cost in aluminum. I know I could probably get a friend to make some out of scrap, but that would be frowned upon by the company and I don't want to get anyone in trouble.

Let us know what you find out, if it's a price I. An stomach and before I start the actual cutting and welding I'm open to going the all aluminum route.

PPE, the place I linked earlier, does offer aluminum flanges in the correct size but they had a similar answer to what you got. It matches work, but most likely not, and definitely not with the TiAL clamp.

derfdog15

Got some significant progress made. A guy my dad knows did the welding, and we test fit in the process of cutting and shaping. Pipes are all painted gloss black as well. The wastage has the blue and black springs for 17.4psi. Bov has the white -8psi spring. Pics are attached.

We will do another coat of paint tomorrow and let everything cure a bit. Install will be Thursday, along with the downpipes!

derfdog15

Last few pics of painted pipes. Also bonus of the downpipes. Will update with pics from install once that is done as well

StealBlueSho

IMG 3753 looks like you have a giant silver..Ummm member.... Who new AJP was really silver surfer in disguise!!! Looks awesome, the setup that is. But you sold the SHO right? Where are you getting the test subject from?

MiWiAu

Wow, that looks like some nice work! Noob question, but why a BOV in addition to the wastegate on the intake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

derfdog15

Quote from: StealBlueSho on December 27, 2016, 08:00:11 PM
IMG 3753 looks like you have a giant silver..Ummm member.... Who new AJP was really silver surfer in disguise!!! Looks awesome, the setup that is. But you sold the SHO right? Where are you getting the test subject from?

I have not sold my SHO, I still owe ~27k on her in fact! Working on my own car, but this will be the last mod for a while, then I need to put mod money into paying the car off a bit quicker. Once its payed down substantially the list is

1. Coilovers
2. ATP turbos
3. Custom FMIC
4...hopefully upgraded HPFP

As for the image, I was pretty excited picking the pipes up from the welder, but I have heard AJP has quite the way with the ladies so who knows!

Quote from: MiWiAu on December 27, 2016, 08:00:54 PM
Wow, that looks like some nice work! Noob question, but why a BOV in addition to the wastegate on the intake?

It is one of the options on the Eco Power Parts piping, the TiAL Q 50 will be used to replace the OEM BOVs. It has been rumoured that the stock BOVs can not handle higher boost levels that upgraded turbos give, but who knows, no real gains/differences have been seen. However, I really love the sound of the Q 50 BOV, and liked the bling option, so I went for it with the hot pipes.

MiWiAu

Quote from: derfdog15 on December 27, 2016, 08:07:19 PM

It is one of the options on the Eco Power Parts piping, the TiAL Q 50 will be used to replace the OEM BOVs. It has been rumoured that the stock BOVs can not handle higher boost levels that upgraded turbos give, but who knows, no real gains/differences have been seen. However, I really love the sound of the Q 50 BOV, and liked the bling option, so I went for it with the hot pipes.

Ahh, okay, duh. :) Forgot the hot pipes have the option to remove stock BOV. Still waiting for the XSport pipes. :P

2013 XSport