• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

General GMAX AS-03

Started by FoMoCoSHO, December 07, 2016, 06:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoMoCoSHO

So I went ahead and mounted these today.

Reasons for the decision...

I had the original General UHP/AS some years ago and loved most everything about them. Dry was great, wet was spectacular, snow was fine even without AWD. The only problem was they wore out very fast. We shall see if these fare any better. General gave me a second set for 50% off so besides the hassle, I was satisfied with their response. The second set fared no better so I switched to the 1st gen DWS.

I wasn't impressed with  the DWS on the gen 1 ST and found them quite mediocre across the board. They did wear much better than the Generals.

Not sure what Bronzie's future will be so I went with a conservative lower cost option.

Initial impressions after about a half hour of driving...

Noisy. I know that's the sound of grip but I don't remember the originals having any drone.  Not an issue with radio at normal levels. Maybe an issue with quieter music and passengers while conversating. I've read this dissipates after the wear in so we shall see.

The ride is much more comfortable than the F1's

Grip at 40 degrees is hugely better than the F1's (expected)

Judicious application of the happy pedal makes them squeal a little. Not good for maintaining a stealthy profile.

I haven't messed with the pressures yet and I know there is always opportunity there with Generals. If anybody is currently running these I'd love to hear where you set your pressures. I was thinking 38F/40R to start.

SHOdded

Is Bronzie's future in question?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on December 07, 2016, 06:27:12 PM
Is Bronzie's future in question?
Possibly.

I'm contemplating buying a gently used gen 4.1 so I can have more flexibility with mods. Built motor, big turbos, E85, 4.2 brake upgrade, coilovers, etc. Sometimes maintaining warranty plausible deniability is boring. There are certain aspects of the 4.1 I like better than 4.2. I know, blasphemy!

I'm not sure if the 15 will go to the Mrs or be sold.

glock-coma

I've been running the gmax as-03 for a little over a year now.
Overall I'm very happy with them.
I went with the 255/45/20.
They are more noisy due to the tread pattern.
They handle the snow,ice,and slush very well.
Everything the NE Ohio winters can throw at em.
I'm sure the AWD helps a lot.
Tread wear has been even and minimal.
I do keep them a little higher psi (40) which does stiffen the ride a little, but  it silences the squeals for the most part. They're  rated for 51 psi max.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

FoMoCoSHO

So when I went out today, I noticed an oily sheen on the outside edge of the rears which I suspected was from uneven heat transfer due to too low of pressure. I was also getting wheel hop pretty bad on WOT shifts which I suspected was gaining and losing traction during the shift.

I got on the highway and the damn thing felt like a marshmallow....steering was vague and MPG was in the pooper. Drive home was the same and I was starting to get concerned about my purchase.

Made a change to 40F/42R and the change was immediate and dramatic starting with the steering wheel, it felt much lighter. Squeal is gone, no more wheel hop and traction at 24 degrees is very good. felt great on the city streets. Hopefully the improvement follows on my highway drive tomorrow. The lack of feedback and response was quite disconcerting.

SHOdded

Quite a difference!  I guess those tire pressures are OK for winter, you think they will be OK for summer also?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on December 08, 2016, 06:14:58 PM
Quite a difference!  I guess those tire pressures are OK for winter, you think they will be OK for summer also?
Yeah, my old ones required higher pressure as well on a 2000lb lighter car.

I suspect Glock is running his at 40 year round.

glock-coma

Yes sir year round 40.
They do get very "splashy"
at low pressure
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

66 Galaxie

Good info.  Going to try bumping mine up to 40psi on my Flex tomorrow. ;-)
'14 Flex Tuxedo Black ecoboost

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: 66 Galaxie on December 08, 2016, 10:38:06 PM
Good info.  Going to try bumping mine up to 40psi on my Flex tomorrow. ;-)
You might have more flexibility to increase the pressures, with the PP springs I will run into a harsh ride issue before a non pp would I suspect. With the flex being even piggier than the SHO, it might need some more.