• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Dual Filter intake idea

Started by jbrown9999, December 13, 2016, 08:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrown9999

So, I literally just signed up today but wanted to toss this out and get some feedback.
Things I've taken into consideration:
1.) The SHO w/ PP doesn't carry a spare but the well is there.
2.) The battery is located on the intake side of the engine.
3.) We have 2 turbos to feed.
If I relocate the battery in the spare tire well (possibly a lower profile one or two).  That would free up for a "double" sized cold air box that 2 conical filters would fit into, one feed the front turbo and one feeding the rear turbo.  Additionally, the relocated battery(s) would improve the f/r weight distribution.

At this point feel free to point out all of the things I've overlooked.  LOL!
2016 Ford SHO w/ PP w/ SCT X4 w/ Gearhead tune,
MDesign CAI, non-noise maker pipe
Gapped/colder plugs, Thermostat w/ Water Wetter
MSD COPS, aFe Silver Bullet intake spacer
UPR catch can, BOV to atmosphere mod

Gjkrisa

Sounds great to me I've seen f150 with it.  Except the cones seemed undersized still.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

FearlessAZ

Sounds like a great idea. Just remember, if you relocate the battery to the trunk, any track time will require an emergency cutoff or possible other safety equipment.
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)

derfdog15

BPD1151 is the only one I have seen with two sets of pipes into a CAI.

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6930.msg106440.html#msg106440

I bet he can chime in, but I see no reason to do one filter per turbo, given the CAI options available at the current time which do more than fine.

As mentioned by others, battery relocation, to run at a track that actually does tech (some don't do proper tech and may let you get away with out safety measures) you will need a proper cut-off switch, mounted on the exterior of the car. May also need a fire extinguisher to run this way. You also will need a fully sealed encloser, whether in the trunk well or not. IMO, since the SHO is a FWD bias AWD car, I would leave the weight on the front, as the front axle is what is in use for most driving.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

Blackhawk

Also what do you do with the IAT sensor?  Would it be sufficient to only have it on one of the intakes?

jbrown9999

Quote from: Blackhawk on December 14, 2016, 10:14:25 AM
Also what do you do with the IAT sensor?  Would it be sufficient to only have it on one of the intakes?
See, good technical question, I knew I was in the right place!

Theoretically, it could be mounted in the new "larger" air box since both filters would be drawing from the same area.
2016 Ford SHO w/ PP w/ SCT X4 w/ Gearhead tune,
MDesign CAI, non-noise maker pipe
Gapped/colder plugs, Thermostat w/ Water Wetter
MSD COPS, aFe Silver Bullet intake spacer
UPR catch can, BOV to atmosphere mod

derfdog15

Quote from: jbrown9999 on December 14, 2016, 11:00:08 AM
Quote from: Blackhawk on December 14, 2016, 10:14:25 AM
See, good technical question, I knew I was in the right place!

Theoretically, it could be mounted in the new "larger" air box since both filters would be drawing from the same area.

I don't think it would matter too much in this case if it was on the front or rear turbo intake, or a combined pipe, since the sensor that is on the air box is basically an ambient air sensor, and not really that important. IAT2 is the important one, as that is actual air temperature into the engine, and that is post turbo I believe.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

kpad09

Now I have a question. I have read other posts and I was in contact with M-Design when they were thinking about building a dual intake design. They were worried about over speeding a turbo due to intake tube lengths not being the same between turbos. Now there has been a few people making up their own dual intake designs and hasn't seemed to have a negative impact on anything yet.

My question is what happens if you join the 2 intake pipes like the AFE intake for the ecoboost F150's? would this eliminate a concern for one turbo running faster then the other?
2014 Taurus SHO non PP, 3Bar Map, 6510 NGK's gapped to .30, 170 degree thermo

bpd1151

Quote from: kpad09 on December 29, 2016, 03:08:53 PM
Now I have a question. I have read other posts and I was in contact with M-Design when they were thinking about building a dual intake design. They were worried about over speeding a turbo due to intake tube lengths not being the same between turbos. Now there has been a few people making up their own dual intake designs and hasn't seemed to have a negative impact on anything yet.

My question is what happens if you join the 2 intake pipes like the AFE intake for the ecoboost F150's? would this eliminate a concern for one turbo running faster then the other?
The concern of over speeding a turbo, IMO, is/was unwarranted.

My own dual intake set up, has not resulted in such a phenomenon.

Furthermore, my experiences with this set up, using dual pipes, with one solitary filter, has simply allowed for each turbo to feed itself as needed.

Remember, the OEM set up is essentially dual pipe as well, but has a ton of crimps, flat spots, etc. Not to mention that absolutely horrible 180 degree bend, mid-engine.

Not a great OEM design performance wise, but for the masses, it is certainly sufficient. Both in cost, and in application.

The OEM design directs more air to that rear turbo anyhow, whereas the front turbo is working harder to extract it out of, or pull it from, that 180.

Too bad the aftermarket vendors didn't embrace a better set up, than what's currently offered out there. But then again, that's been the issue with this platform across many of its Generations over the decades. Both older SHO's, and the newest one's.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

AJP turbo

The turbos are over speeding with a tune anyway lol
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

kpad09

Quote from: bpd1151 on December 29, 2016, 03:48:27 PM

Furthermore, my experiences with this set up, using dual pipes, with one solitary filter, has simply allowed for each turbo to feed itself as needed.

Remember, the OEM set up is essentially dual pipe as well, but has a ton of crimps, flat spots, etc. Not to mention that absolutely horrible 180 degree bend, mid-engine.

Not a great OEM design performance wise, but for the masses, it is certainly sufficient. Both in cost, and in application.

The OEM design directs more air to that rear turbo anyhow, whereas the front turbo is working harder to extract it out of, or pull it from, that 180.

Too bad the aftermarket vendors didn't embrace a better set up, than what's currently offered out there. But then again, that's been the issue with this platform across many of its Generations over the decades. Both older SHO's, and the newest one's.

Which filter did you use BPD1151?
2014 Taurus SHO non PP, 3Bar Map, 6510 NGK's gapped to .30, 170 degree thermo

bpd1151

Quote from: kpad09 on December 29, 2016, 05:06:12 PM

S&B Filter. Dual Flange. I'll dig around for a part #. Will re-post tomorrow.

Oldest kid turned 20 today and we're taking her out to dinner.

ZSHO

Quote from: bpd1151 on December 29, 2016, 06:39:56 PM
Quote from: kpad09 on December 29, 2016, 05:06:12 PM

S&B Filter. Dual Flange. I'll dig around for a part #. Will re-post tomorrow.

Oldest kid turned 20 today and we're taking her out to dinner.

: :bday: : :bday: and many more to come. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Best wishes to the birthday gal, I hope y'all renew and strengthen the family bond.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!