• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2015 vs 2016 stock exhaust on X Sport

Started by donky4444, December 08, 2016, 12:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donky4444

I've had a 2016 X Sport loaner for a week and the wife has a 2015.  I've noticed that the 16 has a much throatier sounding exhaust than the 2015.  Can anybody else confirm this if they have driven both?  If so I wonder what they did differently other than the tips on 2016 being molded in the bumper so it's just a stub ending inside the molded parts.
2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0tt with LMS tune

2014 SHO 402a PP 20" flower wheels. LME  tune, 3 bar MAP, LED Puddle Lights and LED DRL's from Drive Bright, tinted head and tail lights, gloss black vinyl wrapped all chrome with custom chrome SHO emblems front and rear. SOLD

2015 X Sport LME 3 bar tune, LED Puddle and plate lights

14SHOCAR

Quote from: donky4444 on December 08, 2016, 12:13:13 PM
I've had a 2016 X Sport loaner for a week and the wife has a 2015.  I've noticed that the 16 has a much throatier sounding exhaust than the 2015.  Can anybody else confirm this if they have driven both?  If so I wonder what they did differently other than the tips on 2016 being molded in the bumper so it's just a stub ending inside the molded parts.

Here is what the OEM calls for:

2015 - Ford Explorer 3.5L T/C - Part 5230
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=gjD2W3qig07e5pGiNOXFxQ%3d%3d&id=400483322&m=2&search=true&year=2015&make=Ford&model=Explorer

2016 - Ford Explorer 3.5L T/C - Part 5230
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=3DdLUmb3bq2t5JyDSWoUYQ%3d%3d&id=399599971&m=2&search=true&year=2016&make=Ford&model=Explorer

What's weird, however, is that the cost is more expensive for the older part?
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

donky4444

That's crazy on the price difference for the same part number. Even the wife can tell the difference in sound between the 2.

2014 SHO 402a PP 20" flower wheels. LME  tune, 3 bar MAP, LED Puddle Lights and LED DRL's from Drive Bright, tinted head and tail lights, gloss black vinyl wrapped all chrome with custom chrome SHO emblems front and rear. SOLD

66 Galaxie

Per Tasca parts.com

2015:  DB5Z-5230-G ($949.82)
2016:  FB5Z-5230-D. ($656.43)
'14 Flex Tuxedo Black ecoboost

MiWiAu

Any chance you can get some comparison sound clips??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

donky4444

Quote from: MiWiAu on December 08, 2016, 11:37:11 PM

Any chance you can get some comparison sound clips??

Wish I could, the 16 was a dealer loaner until my new SHO gets here and they sold it so I had to take it back. Now I'm in an edge. I already miss the X Sport. Lol

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Rockstar04

I have a '16, love the factory sound. I have a old GoPro and can try to snag some video over the weekend if it would help anyone.
2016 Explorer Sport - Bone Stock

MiWiAu

Quote from: Rockstar04 on December 09, 2016, 10:58:36 AM
I have a '16, love the factory sound. I have a old GoPro and can try to snag some video over the weekend if it would help anyone.

That'd be great! I have a '13 and it's super quiet. Once I see your camera placement, I can try to replicate on mine for comparison.

EDIT: Maybe idle, revving, and a WOT run?

Thanks!

2013 XSport

donky4444

I like wheee this is going. Glad I could stir the pot a little and bring up some questions.

SHOdded

Since the exhaust system on the '17 MKZ is vastly improved, it is very possible Ford made similar upgrades to the Explorer also.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Rockstar04

Just wanted to throw in an update, I couldn't find my GoPro. I am in the process of buying a house and started packing some of my "non-essential" stuff. We also had quite a bit of snow over the weekend so I spent quite some time shoveling and patrolling some back country roads for people stuck in ditches.

I'll try to figure out what box my camera and accessories ended up in to get a video, and give the roads time to get properly cleared off so I can get some good driving video.
2016 Explorer Sport - Bone Stock

MiWiAu

Quote from: Rockstar04 on December 12, 2016, 09:18:49 AM
Just wanted to throw in an update, I couldn't find my GoPro. I am in the process of buying a house and started packing some of my "non-essential" stuff. We also had quite a bit of snow over the weekend so I spent quite some time shoveling and patrolling some back country roads for people stuck in ditches.

I'll try to figure out what box my camera and accessories ended up in to get a video, and give the roads time to get properly cleared off so I can get some good driving video.

Wait, the GoPro is supposed to go in the "Essentials" box with the toothbrush, toilet paper, and extra box(es) of 9mm ammo!

:)

2013 XSport

MiWiAu

Quote from: Rockstar04 on December 12, 2016, 09:18:49 AM

Hey Rockstar, did you move yet? ;)
2013 XSport

MiWiAu

Hey @Rockstar04,

If I can find my suction cup attachment, I'm going to try to get some sound clips of my stock 2013 exhaust for comparison. :) I'll post up a video link here with some info on where/how I placed the camera.
2013 XSport