• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2017 Winter Autocross at Road America (Elkhart Lake, WI)

Started by MiWiAu, December 08, 2016, 10:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiWiAu

If anyone in the midwest (or beyond) is interested, Road America is hosting a winter autocross. You can just do individual days, or get a small discount for signing up for the 3 race series.

I've never done this before, but it looks like a blast. I'm signed up for the whole shebang. :)

See the link below for more dates and info.

http://www.roadamerica.com/experiences/get-on-track/autocross.html
2013 XSport

14SHOCAR

Don't.... fall.... in..... lol

I may be down to do this :)
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

MiWiAu

Quote from: 14SHOCAR on December 08, 2016, 12:01:22 PM
Don't.... fall.... in..... lol

I may be down to do this :)

Haha! I fell in. LMAO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

MiWiAu

2013 XSport

MiWiAu

Bump! T-minus 10 days until Round 1 of 3! Participation in all three rounds is not required.

2013 XSport

MiWiAu

Hopefully this snow/cold actually happens!! Should make Saturday a boatload of fun! :)

2013 XSport

MiWiAu

Super fun day on Saturday! I wound up 13th in my class out of 37 and 14th overall. Not bad for my first auto-x.

They also did a 500ft (I think) drag race, which unfortunately wasn't scored, and I came in second behind the #1 car (2014 Audi S4). It was all snow/ice covered and a ton of fun.

I'm still trying to figure out all my TMS settings and which is best for racing with little traction. Throttle was way too muted in Snow Mode. With the 50/50 split in Mud Mode, it was really hard to control direction without a hand brake, kept wanting to run wide. Late in the day I started using the ebrake on the speed stop to get around the last cone, but the foot brake would be way too awkward to use on the road course. I found that Normal Mode gave me the best balance of stability control and throttle response (at least for a racing scenario).

Hopefully we get some more snow before round 2 (Feb 11), so I can get some more practice in.

Need more Ford representation in Round 2 if any of you guys are available!! :)

2013 XSport

derfdog15

Looks like there was steep competition, good job! Sucks for the mustang in last place, but it is a RWD sports car playing in the snow haha. Good on you for hanging with lighter weight (and dare I say cars with better balanced AWD).
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

MiWiAu

Quote from: derfdog15 on January 15, 2017, 07:42:03 PM
Looks like there was steep competition, good job! Sucks for the mustang in last place, but it is a RWD sports car playing in the snow haha. Good on you for hanging with lighter weight (and dare I say cars with better balanced AWD).

LOL, thanks! I got the impression that there were significantly more AWD entrants as compared to last year. It did feel pretty good when one of the guys in a WRX pulled up next to me and asked how the hell I was running so fast in an Explorer. :)

It was fun nonetheless. ;)
2013 XSport

MiWiAu

Found some action shots! :)

Photographer wouldn't take any payment for the photos. She does some awesome pro stuff as well. Based out of Green Bay, I believe.

2013 XSport

Colorado-SHOBro

I think it's awesome that you took the Xplodr out for this and held your own! Wonder how a SHO would perform in comparison and against the competition in general. What tires you running?
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

MiWiAu

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on January 18, 2017, 08:16:58 PM
I think it's awesome that you took the Xplodr out for this and held your own! Wonder how a SHO would perform in comparison and against the competition in general. What tires you running?

Thanks, man! :) I'm running Blizzak DM-V2s.

There was a big learning curve with this thing. I didn't get any time to practice after putting on the Blizzaks, and I only got 5 runs total on the auto-x course. I ran in different modes trying to find the sweet spot, but never quite did.

I think if I had a hand brake, I could have left it in "mud" mode and gotten myself pointed with the e-brake. With winter tires, the SHO would probably do pretty well. Do you guys get a hand brake, or do you also have the "push to set, push to release" foot pedal?

I took a very brief look through my Advantage 3 software to see if the TMS modes can be tweaked, but I didn't see anything that looked obvious. Snow mode starts with a rear wheel bias and helps the rear come around, but the throttle response is way too muted for racing and minimal wheel slip is allowed.

The other tricky part about the snow is that it is different on every single lap. The more it was driven on, the more icy it became, so the early runs were generally the fastest. Super fun.

I'll post up another update after I finish Round 2. :)
2013 XSport

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: MiWiAu on January 18, 2017, 08:39:02 PM
Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on January 18, 2017, 08:16:58 PM

Thanks, man! :) I'm running Blizzak DM-V2s.

There was a big learning curve with this thing. I didn't get any time to practice after putting on the Blizzaks, and I only got 5 runs total on the auto-x course. I ran in different modes trying to find the sweet spot, but never quite did.

I think if I had a hand brake, I could have left it in "mud" mode and gotten myself pointed with the e-brake. With winter tires, the SHO would probably do pretty well. Do you guys get a hand brake, or do you also have the "push to set, push to release" foot pedal?

I took a very brief look through my Advantage 3 software to see if the TMS modes can be tweaked, but I didn't see anything that looked obvious. Snow mode starts with a rear wheel bias and helps the rear come around, but the throttle response is way too muted for racing and minimal wheel slip is allowed.

The other tricky part about the snow is that it is different on every single lap. The more it was driven on, the more icy it became, so the early runs were generally the fastest. Super fun.

I'll post up another update after I finish Round 2. :)
Look forward to seeing more results. And yes, push to set&release foot pedal for the SHO's as well :( My car has NO problem kicking the ass end out when it transfers any power at all to the rear . . this is of course with my fading GY Eagle RSA's. My 4.1 SHO doesn't have the ability to turn stability control off but in my experience the system keeps you where you supposed to be going pretty darned well, so don't think you would want to disable it in those conditions anyway! Of course this is at the expense of speed a lot of the time. Best of luck and  more pics!!
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

MiWiAu

Round 2 complete! 7th overall for the day. I was only 0.156 seconds out of first on the speed stop drill. Damn it! LOL The guys running the timer on Speed Stop said "you are seriously boggling our minds with these times you're putting down." That felt pretty good.

I'll get some pics posted, if I see any crop up.

Looks like my Blizzaks didn't hold up quite as well as last time. :/ Round 1 was pretty much all snow/ice, but there was a great mix of ice, snow, and wet pavement that allowed speeds to come up, but also required a lot of mental processing power.

I ended up putting down my fastest times with TMS set to "Sand" mode, which turns off stability mode and allows more wheel slip. I ran some good times in "Mud" mode as well, but I was still getting intermittent TC intervention.

One more on March 11, if anybody is interested!! ;)

2013 XSport

AJP turbo

Nice job with that urban assault vehicle .....must be the tune  ;D
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress