• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Stainless Braided Brake Lines - Worth it??

Started by MiWiAu, December 04, 2016, 06:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiWiAu

I have some brakes on the way, since I found a decent deal for some EBC Sport rotors and Yellowstuff pads for my XSport.

While I'm replacing those, I'm considering adding stainless lines at all four corners. Does anyone have any first hand experience with stainless braided lines on cars/trucks, and if so, can you comment on whether or not there was a noticeable improvement in brake feel/feedback?

I've put them on my motorcycles and been extremely happy with them, but I suspect the difference would not be as noticeable on a power/boosted brake system.

Thanks!
2013 XSport

Gjkrisa

I had them on my 93 f150 the feeling was amazing! But then I did it on my 01 impreza and I felt no difference maybe the rear ones needed to be replaced also.
Have you found a set?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

MiWiAu

Quote from: Gjkrisa on December 04, 2016, 07:02:58 PM

Have you found a set?

I haven't found anything pre-made, yet. There is a shop down the street from me that makes custom lines, though. Before I invested the time/effort in getting a custom set made, I figured I'd ask if there was a difference.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

SHOdded

I had thought about having a set installed on another car, but was told that the main benefit was improving feel and looks ... firms up the brake pedal, but doesn't really improve braking that much.  Downside potentially being you can't see if the hose inside is in disrepair or not.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

Quote from: SHOdded on December 04, 2016, 07:28:39 PM
I had thought about having a set installed on another car, but was told that the main benefit was improving feel and looks ... firms up the brake pedal, but doesn't really improve braking that much.  Downside potentially being you can't see if the hose inside is in disrepair or not.

That's kind of what I figured, especially on newer cars. Cosmetic and maybe some feel, but minimal performance.

I don't put too much stock being able to see the hose. One of the OE rubber lines I had on my F150 collapsed internally. That was awesome. Looked great on the outside, and no amount of inspection would have caught that. :)

Thanks!

2013 XSport

derfdog15

I put SS lines on the front of my 03 mustang, but did so at the same time as a cobra front brake conversion (from 10.9" rotor to a 12.9" rotor, and better caliper and pads as well)

I will say the pedal feel is much firmer, but that could also be attributed to the bigger brakes. Overall, if relatively cheap I like them, especially if you dog on the car, because they can sustain more heat IMO, and offer a good excuse to do a full break fluid flush and add something more high performance.

However, I would not pay more than ~$200 for parts IMO. Past that, it isn't worth it to me.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

MiWiAu

Agree, derfdog15. It can't hurt to get a quote, I suppose. I'm not in a huge hurry, since I probably won't do the brakes until spring. I'd also like to paint the calipers, so if I have them off, I thought it'd be that much easier to change the lines and flush the fluid.

Price has to be right, though. I'll let you know what the charge is if/when I get them quoted.

Thanks again guys!

2013 XSport

derfdog15

Good luck and keep us posted, I know there is a kit for the SHO, linked below:

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3671A0A0.aspx

It is listed as universal for all 10-13 taurus, but I believe will fit up to the '16. The application list (also linked below) says SEL/SHO only. I don't see an Xsport kit for anything newer than '10 but it may be worth calling the company to see if they have any plans, the SHO kit is only like $150 or so. I plan to buy it for peace of mind whenever I get around to upgrading brakes.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Goodridge&model=G-Stop+Brakeline+Kit&group=G-Stop+Brakeline+Kit&partNum=G12348.4&autoMake=Ford&autoModel=Taurus&autoYear=2015&autoModClar=SHO

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.racerpartswholesale.com/downloads/GDRApp.pdf

2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

Ryan02Stang

They made a nice difference in my Mustang.  Much firmer pedal feel.
2015 Explorer Sport
2012 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, Unleashed
2002 Mustang GT, Vortech Supercharged

avidmotion

Put them on my regal gs, made a firmer pedal, put on my G8 with good rotors n redstuff made a giant difference. I have a set of good years I think they are, for my SHO 2013 pp, with new pp stock pads synthetic dot 4 fluid set to go on next week.
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

irondoor19

put Goodridge SS on the 2011 & the 2010, Yes you can Feel the Difference

Absolutely worth the Money, if you can find the Pre-made kit, Even better,
Plus THMotorsports had a Christmas Sale they were 60% OFF.....

Very Easy to Install the Pre-made Kit, Fit like they were supposed to, NOW

if you can find them for your ride....

https://thmotorsports.com/brakes/p-10028.aspx?utm_source=ExpressPigeon&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Corsa+and+Volant+Rebate

Wow, you learn something New every Day,
Thanks for that, And I lOV (and hate) this site,
hate it because it make me want to Upgrade everything...HA HA
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

MiWiAu

Great, thanks! I haven't seen kits for the XSport. I will check fordparts and see if they call out the same lines as the SHO. I know the rotors and calipers are the same, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the lines are different. Thanks again! :)

2013 XSport

Half-Fast

Braided lines do normally improve brake performance, but they come with a cost.

Braided lines have been known to fail on the street because they allow little bits of dirt to migrate between the braid and the line. The dirt erodes the line over time causing failures. This is why few brands are DOT approved.  You would need to replace them every 2 years to be safe.

Be careful.

On edit: More info here http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Mult_stainless_brake/mult_stainless_brake.htm
2014 SHO PP Deep Impact Blue.  All stock...

MiWiAu

Quote from: Half-Fast on April 20, 2017, 06:21:36 AM
Braided lines do normally improve brake performance, but they come with a cost.

Braided lines have been known to fail on the street because they allow little bits of dirt to migrate between the braid and the line. The dirt erodes the line over time causing failures. This is why few brands are DOT approved.  You would need to replace them every 2 years to be safe.

Be careful.

On edit: More info here http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Mult_stainless_brake/mult_stainless_brake.htm

Good points, sir, thank you. I have stainless braided lines on my R6, but those lines have an outer overmold, so dirt intrusion causing abrasion under the braid is a non-issue. I just assumed auto lines would be the same, but something to be aware of for sure.

I'm not sure I buy the line in the article about braid hiding imminent failure, though. If your rubber line showed signs of swelling, sure, but I had an internal line failure on a stock rubber line on my 2001 F150, and there were no external signs of imminent failure. I'm in the "maybe, maybe not" camp on this point. :)

2013 XSport

Half-Fast

Quote from: MiWiAu on April 20, 2017, 03:43:51 PM
I'm not sure I buy the line in the article about braid hiding imminent failure, though. If your rubber line showed signs of swelling, sure, but I had an internal line failure on a stock rubber line on my 2001 F150, and there were no external signs of imminent failure. I'm in the "maybe, maybe not" camp on this point. :)
If indeed the issue is with the dirt intrusion, the underlying silicone line can be damaged and fail with no outward signs of damage.  Sure, this can happen with a rubber line, but it's a "less common" failure from what I have seen.  I have a road race car, and normally don't go more than 3 seasons on a set of lines.  I could likely go longer, but I really like the ability to stop, and it's cheap insurance compared to what I spend on tires alone...
2014 SHO PP Deep Impact Blue.  All stock...