• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Hesitation in boost and high rpm

Started by polskifacet, December 04, 2016, 12:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on January 22, 2018, 04:27:15 PM
Good info. So my captain obvious question of the day is... Does no one get their car tuned in winter while using this winter fuel? If that is the culprit I just figure it would have been settled by now. I mean these guys are in Michigan and their winter is a lot harsher and longer than mine here in Texas. Its almost 70° today. Idk. Maybe I will try some good additives and see how that goes. If that really is it then its a bit of a relief. We will see... Although LMS themselves didn't recommend the use of any when I asked previously when I originally heard this was a potential cause of the issue. The CW tune seems like a down tune and I can basically mimic that by just not going full on wot. Which is basically what I've been doing in the meantime. And its kind of a rip.
Being in a southern state your formulation is probably different (read better) than the harsh winter states.

lamrith

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on January 22, 2018, 04:27:15 PM
Good info. So my captain obvious question of the day is... Does no one get their car tuned in winter while using this winter fuel? If that is the culprit I just figure it would have been settled by now. I mean these guys are in Michigan and their winter is a lot harsher and longer than mine here in Texas. Its almost 70° today. Idk. Maybe I will try some good additives and see how that goes. If that really is it then its a bit of a relief. We will see... Although LMS themselves didn't recommend the use of any when I asked previously when I originally heard this was a potential cause of the issue. The CW tune seems like a down tune and I can basically mimic that by just not going full on wot. Which is basically what I've been doing in the meantime. And its kind of a rip.
As FoMoCoSHO mentions each area is different.  The blend they use in Michigan may be better than I have out here in WA due to environmental factors of Govt views on ethanol.

I tuned my car out here in late Feb, early march of last year.  It was not intentional, it was just when I got the car and bought a tune.  As others have mentioned I whole heartedly recommend AJP.  His tunes are off the hook, and he really takes the time to not only keep you the owner informed, but also diagnose each car individually.  Him offering to let you pay later if happy with tune I think proves how he wants to make sure customers are happy and his tunes are dialed in.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

ZSHO

Have you reached out to LMS lately ?  or have they reached out to you for a probable fix to your underlying issues on your newly acquired 13 MKS!!. 
In any event you need to make sure your vehicle is running to its fullest potential as mentioned by others before installing a tune!

In my case needed to change both my front primary 02 sensors @ 50K because they weren't responding correctly prior to having a Dyno Tune performed!  just some food for thought my friend!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

tarmstrong

Quote from: AJP turbo on January 22, 2018, 12:58:15 AM
An X3 would be your cheapest bet if you find one used....I sell devices but only new ones.

I have a SCT Tuner that I am getting rid of that I used to tune the Lincoln LS that I sold last summer.  Bought an X4 to tune the SHO  I think it is an X3 but there is no marking on it.  All I used it for was to load tunes so I have no idea what data logging capabilities, etc. it has.  If you are interested let me know.  I was going to purge it with all the rest of the LS stuff this spring.
2018 Maroon PP SHO
K&N Drop-in

Previous: 2015 Dark Side Metallic PP SHO
3 Bar, K&N, Tune

AJP turbo

SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

StinkinLinkin13

Actually not yet. I'm checking for possible fuel supply "starvation" issue right now. I was actually looking for specs on minimum pressure but don't have access to all data like I used to. I was looking at my pressure last night and saw it drop to around 800 psi during WOT (as misfires occurred).. Idk what the minimum "norm" spec is however. The other thing I'll mention is that it seems very inconsistent. Even within the same tank of gas from one day to the next. Its always there but sometimes its worse than others. Thanks for asking.
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

AJP turbo

You are most likely chasing a ghost....Polski checked his entire fuel system...low pressure from the lift pump will be between like 55-110 psi and the high pressure varies but at wot generally 2000 is the target so less than 1000 is more than a 50% reduction and generally not good for direct injection.

Your worst fuel pressure will happen on the 2-3 wot upshift

Have you heard back from LMS?

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

StinkinLinkin13

Yes. They want me to try a less aggressive tune. But I'm personally a kinda a balls to wall guy. I want to squeeze the most out of anything I own... 😋 I have to be certain on my end there is no issue on my car. It does kinda seem as if "something" (fuel ignition timing o2 sensors) is pegging out with the tune parameters. Maybe the tune is too aggressive or maybe something on the car is on the fringes of spec. It's just odd that most people seem to not have an issue. But there are definitely those of us that do. Plus the fact that LMS sells a HPFP of their own leads me to wonder. But at 1600 dollars and no guarantee in benefit for us on this "conservative" tune. Its just crazy. That cost more than all my mods combined.
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

polskifacet

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on January 25, 2018, 11:38:18 AM
Yes. They want me to try a less aggressive tune. But I'm personally a kinda a balls to wall guy. I want to squeeze the most out of anything I own... 😋 I have to be certain on my end there is no issue on my car. It does kinda seem as if "something" (fuel ignition timing o2 sensors) is pegging out with the tune parameters. Maybe the tune is too aggressive or maybe something on the car is on the fringes of spec. It's just odd that most people seem to not have an issue. But there are definitely those of us that do. Plus the fact that LMS sells a HPFP of their own leads me to wonder. But at 1600 dollars and no guarantee in benefit for us on this "conservative" tune. Its just crazy. That cost more than all my mods combined.

Sounds like your car has identical symptoms to my car.

Does your ECU match to mine? (Found on sticker under windshield cover)

P/N: DA5A-12A650-BB
H/W:DA8A-12B684-AA

AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

AJP turbo

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on January 25, 2018, 11:38:18 AM
But I'm personally a kinda a balls to wall guy. I want to squeeze the most out of anything I own.. It does kinda seem as if "something" (fuel ignition timing o2 sensors) is pegging out with the tune parameters. Maybe the tune is too aggressive or maybe something on the car is on the fringes of spec.

It's not wise to ignore what your car is telling you...you may be a balls to the walls type guy but if your fuel pressure drops and you have s severe knock event that cracks a piston is it worth it, especially when the car was warning you

And you are wildly reaching and speculating on the idea that your tune is on the fringe of what some of the sensors can see or measure...ive said this before but honestly if I made a tune with LMs boost levels I wouldn't even tell the customer that a 3 bar map sensor is necessary even with boost spikes....

I don't really enjoy giving kudos to LMS but I do like giving facts and debunking myths when I can....not all cars are equal for whatever reason..you really need some good datalogs.

What is your strategy? Id like to compare it to polskis

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

StinkinLinkin13

I agree with you on what I believe is a completely unnecessary 3 bar map considering the boost levels I've seen. And yes I am speculating on what's causing the issue mostly because I don't have any tuning experience and I'm not exactly sure what parameters they changed. So I'm basically just using my tech experience to diagnose this as I would out in the field. So yea. Its a bit harder to diag with this custom tune... If not Impossible. I just need to rule out what I can. Added a screenshot of my gauges form torque on my drive to work earlier.

polskifacet

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on January 25, 2018, 03:23:43 PM
I agree with you on what I believe is a completely unnecessary 3 bar map considering the boost levels I've seen. And yes I am speculating on what's causing the issue mostly because I don't have any tuning experience and I'm not exactly sure what parameters they changed. So I'm basically just using my tech experience to diagnose this as I would out in the field. So yea. Its a bit harder to diag with this custom tune... If not Impossible. I just need to rule out what I can. Added a screenshot of my gauges form torque on my drive to work earlier.

Different then my strategy.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

StinkinLinkin13

Im not sure if this had been mentioned or tried before. But on my drive home i did a little bit of experimenting. I put the car in S manual mode. I would accelerate at approx half throttle all the way until it shifted on its own at about 6500. Had no issues whatsoever with misfires that way even from second to third. What I found odd is that as I tried to do a wot pull in manual but still allow it to auto shift and it would not. It hit a brick wall of misfires at about 6k (+or-) and never auto "safety" shifted. Not sure if it was rev limiter or combination. Never the less. I won't try that again. But the part throttle acceleration had no stutters even at highest rpms.

polskifacet

Sounds like potentially traction issue. Try with traction control off.

StinkinLinkin13

TC was off at the time. It normally is off when I'm "testing"...