• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Hesitation in boost and high rpm

Started by polskifacet, December 04, 2016, 12:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

I would go with an X4 for a 2013+ MY vehicle.  In any case, you can sometimes find "used" devices by contacting Torrie at Unleashed Tuning.  Unleashed is an official vendor on this forum.
info@unleashedtuning.com

You can also browse our ads section to see who is selling a tuning device, or put up a Wanted to Buy ad.
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/board,30.0.html

As far as the LMS tune goes, what are the official requirements to run the tune - fuel especially?  Only top tier fuel is advised at all times.  Not all top tier fuels behave the same, and brand performance can vary depending on which area you live in.  You will need to scope out some local stations and compare results.  If you have winter fuel in your area, that will impact performance on these "racehorse" tunes.

Re the violent shifts, that could be a combination of shift pressures, road surface temperatures, wheel/tire setup, etc.  But the easiest "fix" is the shift pressure, just ask LMS to do that.  Also, they recommend overfilling trans fluid a pint or so to prevent cavitation and it seems to work out pretty well.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

polskifacet

If you decide to get deeper into diagnosing, I have gauges for the low pressure pump which will allow you to do WOT pulls with the gauge sticking out from under the hood and a tested good HPFP. Will ship for free just to help you out! (maybe a deposit so I get them back lol)

As for mechanical issues everything that I've been able to check is in spec. It could be electrical gremlins more than mechanical. My car specifically; either uses more fuel than others for the same amount of power(o2 sensor could be off showing that its running a certain afr but in reality running rich) or the system can't produce the volume of others.

I added methanol injection which solves my issue at the power level I run. Maybe one day, if i keep the car long enough I may find the root cause by accident but also fine with dumping the car and enjoying w.e I buy next!
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

ecoboostsho

I highly recommend you ask them to try the V10 tune first before you give up out of frustration.  I had high RPM hesitation issues with the V9 in Cold Weather when it first came out and as I recall they did acknowledge there was an issue.  V10 completely corrected that.  They will fix soften your shifts if you ask.  I've run V11 for a little bit but I don't think it works for my car in the cold weather (aka crappy gas) very well. I am currently tuning remotely with AJP/Brad and have been very happy with the results. 
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

ZSHO

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on January 21, 2018, 09:30:32 PM
Yes. Apparently I am another rare example. Although after doing just a little bit of searching online I've come to find it doesn't seem to be very rare at all. I am not interested in a "water down" version of the tune tho. I paid a decent amount of money including cai (which lets be honest does nothing except for the fact that its washable and sounds good) 160 tstat 3 bar map and full exhaust plus tuner. But when I mention it they say its "odd". Yet doesn't seem to be very odd at all. And don't be mistaken I am not dogging on LMS in any way. But this is a real issue that needs to be addressed and at very least acknowledged.
Who from LMS Did you speak to Exactly? TIA. Z   
Due update/add your signature @ your earliest convenience!

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ecoboostsho

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on January 21, 2018, 11:29:53 PM
Quote from: polskifacet on January 21, 2018, 09:35:47 PM
I tried for a year including driving to LMS, I made it a mission to call everyday. Z called in my behalf multiple times, they have no interest in changing their tune for you. Go with AJP and you'll just enjoy the car vs going down a rabbit hole.
That's discouraging to hear. I was thinking about trying a different tuner but haven't heard much when it comes to Unleashed or others... LMS seemed like a no brainer but here I am. So I am definitely considering it. They (LMS) don't seem to keen on returns and refunds in my reading.  "Its the cars fault" is what I have come across... The tune just "exposes" flaws that were already present in the vehicle that the stock tune hid. I mean come on. Idk man. But you're right I don't want to sit here chasing ghost. I've already done plug swaps sp534 various gap options 24 26 28 30 etc... The car has ALL fresh fluids. Coil boots etc. Use top tier 93 octane from various stations. Runs absolutely perfect on stock tune. I may be left with no choice but to return the tuner and request refund and explore other tuning options if they'll be so courteous. It blows that this supposed easy mod was one of the reasons I went with this Ecoboosted MKS. And I am already having issues. I was already skeptical of the ability to tune a car reliably this way as I normally would get my cars tuned custom on a dyno... Idk. I will continue to search for a solution in the meantime and if I do find some mechanical issue with the car I will gladly admit it and post my findings. Again.To be clear. Not a knock on LMS but these are real issues that I am having and apparently others as well. Keep you posted on my findings. Any good data logging software recommendations lmk... I have Torque pro on my phone but haven't really tried their "data logging" not sure if it is a practical useful logger in a that sense.
Torque pro is almost useless for logging. Refresh rate is way too slow. If you have a solid OBD adapter (like the MX) you can do okay with Forscan on a fast computer but nothing I've found beats SCT for log resolution...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)

StinkinLinkin13

Thanks fellas. You guys are seriously generous and helpful on here. Honestly I was just looking for some possible leads and am getting offered much more than expected. So thanks to you all. My contacts at LMS always seemed to be someone different. Including through emails. I have to check my email history to tell you for sure.. But they definitely act like this is some super odd issue.
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

BlackSho

They sent me a 93 CW tune last year and it solved the problem, but the shifts were still a little rough,
2013 PP Torrie custom tune 170 Stat Airaid 3bar/ Livernois V8 3 bar. ***.

StinkinLinkin13

I forgot to ask about this? What exactly is the 93 CW tune? I feel like I should probably know this. But Im afraid I don't. 😋
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

ecoboostsho

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on January 22, 2018, 02:34:01 PM
I forgot to ask about this? What exactly is the 93 CW tune? I feel like I should probably know this. But Im afraid I don't.
I'm pretty sure CW is just "Cold Weather"

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

BlackSho

StinkinLinkin13

Haha. Funny. Figured it was something simple. So is it basically a down tune?

BlackSho

Runs pretty good don't know what they changed but not much difference from the V10 or V11.

ZSHO

The 93-V7CW-Tune IIRC was introduced a few years ago which was a band-aid-temporary fix for those who suffered a slight hesitation during the cold winter months primarily with the crappy winter-blend fuel which the CW Tune kept the throttle blade at various points and open it much slower to keep from having the issue! 

In general I have always added a bottle of Heet to every tank fill-up preferably the (yellow bottle) to combat the winter-blend fuel without any hiccups to mention!  Z  :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

StinkinLinkin13

Good info. So my captain obvious question of the day is... Does no one get their car tuned in winter while using this winter fuel? If that is the culprit I just figure it would have been settled by now. I mean these guys are in Michigan and their winter is a lot harsher and longer than mine here in Texas. Its almost 70° today. Idk. Maybe I will try some good additives and see how that goes. If that really is it then its a bit of a relief. We will see... Although LMS themselves didn't recommend the use of any when I asked previously when I originally heard this was a potential cause of the issue. The CW tune seems like a down tune and I can basically mimic that by just not going full on wot. Which is basically what I've been doing in the meantime. And its kind of a rip.

dubcitySHO

I use Sheetz 93 e10 fuel exclusively (so far), and logged/revised with Brad during the heat of summer, and the winter grade fuel here in northwest central PA didn't have an effect on my tune.  I log at least once per fresh tank of fuel just to keep an eye on possible KR or other issues, and have if anything seen a drop in any KR and it adds some spark.  I'm assuming that's due to the IAT2 being lower from the lower ambient, but I'm just speculating.

I'll echo polski and others by saying, Brad will certainly take care of you. 
2018 Magnetic Metallic F-150 XLT FX4 SCrew, 20% 3M Tint, Currently researching reputable F-150 tuners....