• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

AKEBONO Ceramic Pads

Started by ZSHO, December 01, 2016, 10:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primalzer

Quote from: sholxgt on September 05, 2017, 04:24:31 PM
Quote from: Primalzer on September 05, 2017, 04:05:20 PM
Yeah, sorry, forgot to mention that I've done the SHO PP/Police caliper/rotor swap on the fronts. The OEM semi-metallic pads are ridiculously dusty. Hence wanting to go ceramic.

Same with the Raybestos Police spec PP pads.  They are making a mess of my wheels.  To the point that I'm cleaning them twice a week just so they don't look too horrible.  One short errand run has my wheels dusty.  Three to four has my wheels black.

Those Akebono's are looking pretty good!  I would also need the PP pads as I swapped calipers also.  Cheapest brake upgrade ever!

Seriously, when I worked the prices, even with all Motorcraft parts, it ended up being like $100 more than a standard rotor/pad swap. A little extra work, but WELL worth it, IMO. Hell, Rockauto even took my old non-PP calipers on core.
2011 Ford Flex Limited EcoBoost
-2013+ PP SHO front brake conversion

ZSHO

Quote from: Primalzer on September 05, 2017, 04:05:20 PM
Yeah, sorry, forgot to mention that I've done the SHO PP/Police caliper/rotor swap on the fronts. The OEM semi-metallic pads are ridiculously dusty. Hence wanting to go ceramic.
I hope they live up to there expectations and are Dust-free for many,many days to come.......Best of luck and keep us updated on any progress.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Night Hawk

Had pretty good luck with EBC rotors/Red Pads, will be updating soon not sure if to go with reds again or possibly yellow pads.
2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather
Ult Perf Int Garrett Core/MKZ oil cooler
FMS 70mm TB/ NGK .026/LMS V6 93

Macgyver

Quote from: Primalzer on September 05, 2017, 05:12:47 PM

Seriously, when I worked the prices, even with all Motorcraft parts, it ended up being like $100 more than a standard rotor/pad swap. A little extra work, but WELL worth it, IMO. Hell, Rockauto even took my old non-PP calipers on core.

So thats all the extra it would be to do the fronts and rear with PP calipers. Rotors. Pads. ? Or $100 front and $100 rear.

sholxgt

Quote from: Macgyver on September 05, 2017, 09:45:16 PM

So thats all the extra it would be to do the fronts and rear with PP calipers. Rotors. Pads. ? Or $100 front and $100 rear.

Rear calipers are the same between '13+ PP and non-PP
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

Macgyver

Thats not bad then. If you want to go that route.

Primalzer

Quote from: sholxgt on September 05, 2017, 10:41:13 PM

Are you sure? The non-PP rotors are not vented, whereas the PP's are. Have not checked the part numbers though...

Unless you mean all '13+ vehicles. Everything <'12 besides SHO PP cars, had non-vented rears I believe.

Primalzer

That's just for the fronts, I didn't feel like it was worth the time and effort to go through the rears, plus both my rear calipers are brand new Motorcraft units.

Here's the part number chart I used for the Motorcraft parts when I did them. A couple items of note: Amazon had the lowest shipping prices, then Rockauto, then Tasca. Probably should've included shipping. This was also 6+ months ago, so prices do fluctuate, so they probably are different now.

sholxgt

Quote from: Primalzer on September 06, 2017, 11:40:56 AM

Are you sure? The non-PP rotors are not vented, whereas the PP's are. Have not checked the part numbers though...

Unless you mean all '13+ vehicles. Everything <'12 besides SHO PP cars, had non-vented rears I believe.

Right.  I'm speaking only of '13+.  AFAIK, the only difference between PP and non-PP on '13+ cars are the front calipers and front and rear pads.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

Primalzer

Quote from: sholxgt on September 06, 2017, 01:13:23 PM
Quote from: Primalzer on September 06, 2017, 11:40:56 AM

Right.  I'm speaking only of '13+.  AFAIK, the only difference between PP and non-PP on '13+ cars are the front calipers and front and rear pads.

Got it, yeah and even the differences between the front PP and non-PP calipers is questionable. I believe the pistons on the PP's have a higher temp threshold, but they are physically the same size from what I can gather.

SHOdded

Different seals on the calipers, plus the pistons are drilled to allow for better cooling.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

avidmotion

How are the Akebono pads vs stock PP SHO pads vs Hawk HPS?
The stock PP are ok. I've used performance friction aftermarket, Redstuff, Hawk HPS, PP stock and several others on my recent performance cars. Redstuff I had rotor issues, lasted 10 000 miles. Best luck I've had was with the Hawk HPS on several vehicles. I'd like to do the Hawks with my stock rotors with the vents, but if Akebono ceramic is better I would try them...any opinions?
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

Primalzer

Quote from: avidmotion on September 24, 2017, 09:02:47 PM
The stock PP are ok. I've used performance friction aftermarket, Redstuff, Hawk HPS, PP stock and several others on my recent performance cars. Redstuff I had rotor issues, lasted 10 000 miles. Best luck I've had was with the Hawk HPS on several vehicles. I'd like to do the Hawks with my stock rotors with the vents, but if Akebono ceramic is better I would try them...any opinions?

I'm on a few days with the Akebono ProACT ceramic fronts. Honestly, the bite is pretty much the same as the OEM semi-metallics. The ceramics maybe ever so slightly better bite, but very well could be my imagination. Either way, not a huge difference IMO. So far, the noise and the dust have been nill with the ceramics, which is mainly what I was chasing.

ZSHO

Quote from: Primalzer on September 25, 2017, 03:19:03 PM
Quote from: avidmotion on September 24, 2017, 09:02:47 PM

I'm on a few days with the Akebono ProACT ceramic fronts. Honestly, the bite is pretty much the same as the OEM semi-metallics. The ceramics maybe ever so slightly better bite, but very well could be my imagination. Either way, not a huge difference IMO. So far, the noise and the dust have been nill with the ceramics, which is mainly what I was chasing.
I would give them a couple hundred mile break in period!!
The ceramic brake pads work better once there warmed up and you will notice an overall initial improvement in stopping power,enjoy. Z

Break-in/Bedding procedure below

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=6446_6443

http://stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/bed-in-theory-definitions-and-procedures/brake-pad-bed-in

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Primalzer

I should've said, I'm a bit over 100 miles in. A couple of days, especially a weekend, is a decent amount of miles for me.

I usually bed my pads doing 5-6 concurrent hard braking stops from 40 mph with 1/2 mile inbetween to keep the temperature down.